Polish RL Money Problem?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

I read a bit on twitter about the Polish RL team struggling for money to play a game against Hungary.

Anyone any more idea about it and is there no-one who can help out?

#2 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Bit more in this link:-

http://www.nrl.com/m...51/default.aspx

Slightly odd they're talking about the Hungary game being called off due to a lack of funds, but then talking about possible trips to Greece or Italy.

#3 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

News to me that Poland (or indeed Hungary or Greece) had a rugby league team.

#4 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

Greece recently beat Vanuatu (26-18 maybe?), Hungary have had a few matches and there's a club formed recently in Poland called the Lodz Magpies.

Polish Exiles have recently started up in this country as well
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#5 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

Keep up Solly or we'll have to get Parky onto you ;) The Polish team has had some assistance from a certain poster we know called druzik.

rldfsignature.jpg

#6 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

There have been sporadic internationals across eastern Europe in the last few years, the Czechs and Serbians look to have made most progress. Poland are new to the scene, this appears to be basically a few blokes trying to pay for a long coach hire at short notice - not much money in the grand scheme, but a lot for working lads to put together I reckon. With a bit of luck, some sponsorship might come their way.

Edited by EdinburghExile, 07 November 2012 - 07:40 PM.

#7 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:54 PM

Keep up Solly or we'll have to get Parky onto you ;) The Polish team has had some assistance from a certain poster we know called druzik.

Ah - yes. How did I forget?

#8 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

There have been sporadic internationals across eastern Europe in the last few years, the Czechs and Serbians look to have made most progress. Poland are new to the scene, this appears to be basically a few blokes trying to pay for a long coach hire at short notice - not much money in the grand scheme, but a lot for working lads to put together I reckon. With a bit of luck, some sponsorship might come there way.

Serbia and the Czech Republic I was aware of; Poland I had simply forgotten. HUngary is a new one as would Greece be if it is Greek Greeks as opposed to Aussie Greeks.

#9 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

HUngary is a new one as would Greece be if it is Greek Greeks as opposed to Aussie Greeks.

A couple of quotes from @GreekRL on twitter

Γειa σου Νίκο! We are setting up the domestic league,this is the priority for now.Please contact us on email and we explain more

It's because we are based in Athens. If the Greeks in Aus want to start something over there then they should...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,999 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

Serbia and the Czech Republic I was aware of; Poland I had simply forgotten. HUngary is a new one as would Greece be if it is Greek Greeks as opposed to Aussie Greeks.

The Hungarians have actually played the Czechs in the last two European Bowl competitions

2012 Results
Jul 14th Czech Republic 42 - Hungary 16 (European Bowl)
2011 Results
Jul 23rd Hungary 16 - Czech Republic 38 (European Bowl)

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

Where are the RLEF in all this? Surely they should be helping and be involved in such things? The RLEF seem to only concentrate on the Euro Shield/Cup with the rest left to sort things out themselves. Sad and hope the Polish guys can raise the the cash

#12 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Where are the RLEF in all this? Surely they should be helping and be involved in such things? The RLEF seem to only concentrate on the Euro Shield/Cup with the rest left to sort things out themselves. Sad and hope the Polish guys can raise the the cash

Did you not read the article? Poland aren't a member of the RLEF as they do not yet have a national governing body. What do you expect the RLEF to do? They cannot go round handing out thousands of Euros to anyone who claims to be organizing an international RL match somewhere.

Edited by Evil Homer, 08 November 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#13 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Who said anything about handing out thousands? I am sure other nations have had problems and used various means to raise cash. Surely the RLEF would be contacting them and maybe offering a couple of suggestions or helping them in the planning of such a trip. Whilst they may not be members that doesnt mean that the RLEF should just ignore them. They are trying to develop the game and a bit of help and support would be useful

#14 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Who said anything about handing out thousands? I am sure other nations have had problems and used various means to raise cash. Surely the RLEF would be contacting them and maybe offering a couple of suggestions or helping them in the planning of such a trip. Whilst they may not be members that doesnt mean that the RLEF should just ignore them. They are trying to develop the game and a bit of help and support would be useful

How do you know if they have ignored them or not? Judging by the article, they are in dialogue with the RLEF and working towards future membership. IIRC their delegates were invited to observe the RLEF AGM in London. Short of actually giving them the cash, I'm not sure what you are suggesting the RLEF do here.

#15 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

I think a mixture of advice with perhaps a token gesture of some cash, (provided proof is given of where it goes) is a decent solution?

#16 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

I think a mixture of advice with perhaps a token gesture of some cash, (provided proof is given of where it goes) is a decent solution?

Why do they need to make a 'token gesture'? What possible good would a half-hearted 'gesture' do if it doesn't pay the travel costs and they still can't play the match? Poland are not members of the RLEF, they clearly are in communication and stated in the article that they want to show the RLEF that they are capable of making progress, but they are not members and AFAIK even members do not have their travel costs paid. Do you honestly think it's good practice for a body to go round handing out cash to anyone who shows an interest in the game? I'm not trying to disrespect Poland here BTW, it's just the principle.

Edited by Evil Homer, 09 November 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#17 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

How do you know if they have ignored them or not? Judging by the article, they are in dialogue with the RLEF and working towards future membership. IIRC their delegates were invited to observe the RLEF AGM in London. Short of actually giving them the cash, I'm not sure what you are suggesting the RLEF do here.

Johnoco pretty much covered it. Also when Kevin Rudd was involved he used to go and visit nations and if need be help contribute out of his own pocket. He was one of "The Guys" so to speak and would do anything to help a game played. Sadly since he left the person that took over doesnt have that spirit or interest in developing nations who struggle. He even said to me "if a couple of nations die so be it but we do things my way". That for me is the wrong attitude to have.

#18 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Johnoco pretty much covered it. Also when Kevin Rudd was involved he used to go and visit nations and if need be help contribute out of his own pocket. He was one of "The Guys" so to speak and would do anything to help a game played. Sadly since he left the person that took over doesnt have that spirit or interest in developing nations who struggle. He even said to me "if a couple of nations die so be it but we do things my way". That for me is the wrong attitude to have.

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean you need to bring it up in every single thread.

Edited by Evil Homer, 09 November 2012 - 04:19 PM.

#19 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,581 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 04:36 PM

Maybe so, but that doesn't mean you need to bring it up in every single thread.

Every thread? I havent mentioned anything for months on here or elsewhere. Being involved in development is all or should be all about giving and helping others, not about egos. When I see the damage done in Germany for example where the game is all but dead, except for a handful of Union guys around Heidelberg it makes me angry and sad. Much of the problem lies with the RLEF sadly and its paid development officer.

Whether a nation is part of the RLEF or not, every effort should be made to help and encourage these guys who often do everything for nothing and put in a fair bit of their own money. Its very tough and you face many setbacks. For me a bit more personal touch and help would be good. It doesnt just have to be about money. Maybe suggestions like car sharing and going online on certain car sharing sites to take a person some or all the way to help cover fuel costs, looking at cheap travel options (Student Rail, Group rail discounts etc) as well as maybe asking the Hungarians to help them sleep at others houses or in a sportshall or something. Practical ways to help them achieve these things and looking maybe at things they hadnt thought of.

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,544 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Why do they need to make a 'token gesture'? What possible good would a half-hearted 'gesture' do if it doesn't pay the travel costs and they still can't play the match? Poland are not members of the RLEF, they clearly are in communication and stated in the article that they want to show the RLEF that they are capable of making progress, but they are not members and AFAIK even members do not have their travel costs paid. Do you honestly think it's good practice for a body to go round handing out cash to anyone who shows an interest in the game? I'm not trying to disrespect Poland here BTW, it's just the principle.

I aren't proposing giving them a blank cheque mate, just a few quid towards expenses to encourage anyone GENUINELY interested in playing the game in such areas.. I'm talking peanuts really.
The token gesture could be along the lines of 'you raise half the costs, we'll match it' ....something like that?

Edited by Johnoco, 11 November 2012 - 11:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users