RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Match day experience 2013 and flags...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

How many people on this forum have a dewsbury rams flag? I was thinking the otherday, i know the barmy army have atleest 2 but it would be good to get all rams flags we own to home games on matchdays to pack to stand with red amber and black...

Just a thought too but does the club own any flags like the ones with wooden sticks we used to have back in 2000? or does the club shop store any flags anymore?

Also does anyone else have any ways to improve our match day experience, as the club got any plans for curtain raisers this season in 2013 to get the community involved or any other plans? We should try get the community involved as much as possible, like trying to get local bands to play on matchdays or local singers/dancers ect ect. The more we get the community involved can only reap the rewards for the club and could help attract new supporters?

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 07 November 2012 - 01:52 PM.

#2 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:14 PM

Great post mate. I think the flags idea is a good one. You guys going to make some more noise by moving to the back of the stand? ;)

I'm sure our community coach James has a few plans for curtain-raisers this year too.

What sort of pre-match entertainment would people like? Brass bands? Rock bands? Singers? A mixture?

#3 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 6,973 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

Strippers

#4 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

Thought you just took photos Gary?

#5 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:44 PM

I think the club should look into its matchday experience more, aswel as trying to get as many local kids to games as possible and indeed new adults, especialy as we have the best mascot in rugby league.. I also think doing the southstand bar up and making it more exciting like naming it the barmy army bar, decorated inside on the walls with fans merchandise and pictures from away days which i know for a fact the barmy army have plenty theyd develop and put up if possible... A wall of happy fans memories of away days and old pics would really make fans feel part of the club and make that dull bar look warm without costing mega money... After all, we are a community club. just a idea..

Another thing too, as the club ever thought of appointing somebody to put bums on seats or try gain more supporters?

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 07 November 2012 - 04:47 PM.

#6 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 661 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

James, several members of the first team squad, our head coach and Roger are very active in the local community already, and there are a number of things the club and its volunteers are working on to get more bums on seats.

As for your other ideas (south stand bar, match day etc.) Chris - belting! - why don't you raise them at the Season Countdown evening?

#7 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,529 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

My match day experience is enlivened by the team playing well and diminished by them being rubbish. A bad day is never improved by dancers, singers, bands, although a good day could be spoiled by having flags waved in my face whilst some idiot bangs a drum like a demented toddler.

Barmy Army should really rename themselves as the potty platoon. Maybe they should also start a recruitment drive?

Does this help?

Edited by Blind side johnny, 07 November 2012 - 05:40 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#8 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

The drumming band from Earlsheaton was very good.

#9 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 881 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:48 PM

Here's a few ideas for our match day experience,we could have a guess the attendance competition as we walk into the ground,if no one gets it spot on ,it rolls over to the next match.At half time we could have a kicking competition,one fan from each club could have a go from the20,30 or 40 metre line.Another idea from Union i'm afraid,is trying to catch three rugby balls without. dropping them all at once.These will keep fans entertained,the last won is the best,how about Roger taking on the other club's fans at tug of war at the half way line!!!!

#10 RogerTRam

RogerTRam
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 10:33 PM

The drumming band from Earlsheaton was very good.

I think the band was from WestBro high school. I hope to see them again too.

Here's a few ideas for our match day experience,we could have a guess the attendance competition as we walk into the ground,if no one gets it spot on ,it rolls over to the next match.At half time we could have a kicking competition,one fan from each club could have a go from the20,30 or 40 metre line.Another idea from Union i'm afraid,is trying to catch three rugby balls without. dropping them all at once.These will keep fans entertained,the last won is the best,how about Roger taking on the other club's fans at tug of war at the half way line!!!!

Tug of war sure but only if my loyal band of fans give me a hand. Am sure you don't all want to see me been dragged down the pitch on the end of a rope. There's only one thing I shall protest strongly about having to do and thats Gangnam style. No not ever no way.

Edited by RogerTRam, 07 November 2012 - 11:19 PM.

#11 STEVE P

STEVE P
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

My match day experience is enlivened by the team playing well and diminished by them being rubbish. A bad day is never improved by dancers, singers, bands, although a good day could be spoiled by having flags waved in my face whilst some idiot bangs a drum like a demented toddler.

Barmy Army should really rename themselves as the potty platoon. Maybe they should also start a recruitment drive?

Does this help?

Great post BSJ. Did we go to the same school?

#12 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,529 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Great post BSJ. Did we go to the same school?

I doubt it very much Steve. A bit curmudgeonly from me on a poor day I reckon, but the general sentiment still holds. We can attract better crowds by fielding a successful side; pre-match entertainment is ephemeral and will not retain anyone's interest without the former being in place.

We got bigger crowds in the 70's and we had the occasional marching band and the Thornhill Lees Militaires (awful!). I don't think the reintroduction of these will cause an increase in the gate.

HTH
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#13 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 661 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Don't want to call this "a problem" because it isn't, but this thread probably demonstrates the difficulties with having pre-match entertainment.

Although flags dotted around the stadium to add colour wouldn't upset anyone, as long as they don't cover up advertising boards or obstruct anyone's view.

I'll see if I can dig any out this week...

#14 STEVE P

STEVE P
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

I doubt it very much Steve. A bit curmudgeonly from me on a poor day I reckon, but the general sentiment still holds. We can attract better crowds by fielding a successful side; pre-match entertainment is ephemeral and will not retain anyone's interest without the former being in place.

We got bigger crowds in the 70's and we had the occasional marching band and the Thornhill Lees Militaires (awful!). I don't think the reintroduction of these will cause an increase in the gate.

HTH

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment behind what you say BSJ.

Those who think that off field distractions will improve the experience and make for bigger crowds, and those like me who hold an opposite view need to think about the phenomenon that was Keighley Cougars in the late 80's or early 90's.

Was that club's success in putting bums on seats due to the razzmataz around the ground before and during the game, or was it because they had an great side with the likes of Nick Pinkney and Ned's sparring partner Mr Ramshaw, who played some exciting and thoroughly entertaining rugby. Answer that and you know whether or not marching bands and the like will encourage bigger crowds.

I hated the man on the speaker and all the song and dance associated with a trip to Lawkholme Lane after it was rebranded as Cougar Park, but we had some great matches with them which I would have not liked to miss. They were the side everybody wanted to beat, and I reckon that in that period honours were about even.

#15 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,474 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

Does this help?

Drummers and flag wavers don't bother me BSJ, I stump up the extra and sit in the other stand where I get the added bonus of being able to get to the bar at half time, but you're spot on about the enjoyment of the day being judged on the main event. Some of the rugby played in recent seasons was so bad, even holly willoughby parading topless arround the pitch would'nt have improved my mood ....... :wacko: OK. bad example. If the rugby turns out to be good this season, the barmies can do the conga stark bulloch naked wearing red amber and black wigs for all I care.

#16 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,388 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Thats settled then has many flags and drums as we can muster know a lad thats fetching a trumpet for next season.The sooner we get rid of the negative boring moaning element of the south stand the better.Theres always the other stand if you dont like it. :lol: :lol:

#17 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,364 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thats settled then has many flags and drums as we can muster know a lad thats fetching a trumpet for next season.The sooner we get rid of the negative boring moaning element of the south stand the better.Theres always the other stand if you dont like it. :lol: :lol:

:D

#18 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 6,973 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

Thought you just took photos Gary?

Who says i wouldn't be photographing them.

#19 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

Strippers

I'm backing Gary on that.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#20 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

To be Honest being one of the barmy army, I don't mind a drummer, but I'm telling you, be anything like the batley drummer, and you're done for.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users