Match day experience 2013 and flags...

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:10 PM

Thats settled then has many flags and drums as we can muster know a lad thats fetching a trumpet for next season.The sooner we get rid of the negative boring moaning element of the south stand the better.Theres always the other stand if you dont like it. :lol: :lol:

I think the new terracing is being built with you lot in mind.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#22 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:51 AM

I think the new terracing is being built with you lot in mind.

Cheerup blind side jonny, The band is in need of a new drummer, you could always give it ago, you may enjoy? ;)

#23 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

Cheerup blind side jonny, The band is in need of a new drummer, you could always give it ago, you may enjoy? ;)

heard weve got a trumpet and TWO DRUMMERS going to be mind blowing

#24 S.T.R

S.T.R
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

heard weve got a trumpet and TWO DRUMMERS going to be mind blowing

ive got a stanley knife and a can of filler foam :D
When I want your opinion, I will remove the gaffer tape

#25 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

ive got a stanley knife and a can of filler foam :D

heard ty with the tommy talker going on duel registration.

#26 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:18 PM

My daughter used to come to matches when she was younger to see Roger the Ram, Frank Watene, the match and eat ice creams or sweets. She was a season ticket holder. The match day experience does sway some people, yes we need a winning side, but other things do tip the balance for some.

#27 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

Lets get it right the players respond to vocal support and the more vocal the support the more they respond.This doesnt include legs dews legs.The players are only interested in how much the Barmy Army get behind the team.This season we will be back to our old self.If we need a drummer we will get one..If you dont like it theres seats in the north stand.The South Stand belongs to the Barmy Army.

Edited by EQUALIZER, 12 November 2012 - 12:46 AM.

#28 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:43 AM

As someone who sits in the North Stand,i think the more vocal support for the team the better.Lets get the place rocking before the game and during it.

#29 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:18 AM

Lets get it right the players respond to vocal support and the more vocal the support the more they respond.This doesnt include legs dews legs.The players are only interested in how much the Barmy Army get behind the team.This season we will be back to our old self.If we need a drummer we will get one..If you dont like it theres seats in the north stand.The South Stand belongs to the Barmy Army.

Hmmm, strange sort of democracy isn't it. Fifteen half-cut blokes singing out of tune determine the wishes of 300+.

We may appear to moan and groan a bit but we've done the hard years and earned our right to grumble whenever we want. We also have the right to stand as long as our legs will hold us up and not join the geriatrics in the North Stand until we finally have to.

(Sheesh, it's boring when there's no proper RL to watch isn't it?)

;)

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#30 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

Hmmm, strange sort of democracy isn't it. Fifteen half-cut blokes singing out of tune determine the wishes of 300+.

We may appear to moan and groan a bit but we've done the hard years and earned our right to grumble whenever we want. We also have the right to stand as long as our legs will hold us up and not join the geriatrics in the North Stand until we finally have to.

(Sheesh, it's boring when there's no proper RL to watch isn't it?)

;)

You should come and join us BSJ - no drums or whistles, and you certainly can't hear the barmy army. Plus the bonus of a nice warm bar at half time AND if you sit next to the bloke from radio leeds you get a running commentary and get to find out who the players are without having to consult your "observers book of squad numbers". If you just want to prove you can stand up looking bored and moaning for a couple of hours, I'll arrange for you to go shopping with the wife - it works for me. ;)

#31 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 947 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

Thinking about this, it's probably wrong for people to say they "don't care about the matchday experience".

As Wakefield Ram points out, off-the-field stuff like Roger does make a difference to whether or not many young people attend matches.

We've then got to think about all the other things that make up the matchday experience.

Length of queues at the turnstiles, teamsheets, volume of the PA system, kick-off times - things which certain contributors to this thread have complained about in the past - are all a part of it.

There's clearly much more to supporting Dewsbury Rams than the product on the field so it's certainly something that's worth a discussion.

The players do appreciate the vocal backing of the fans from the terraces and it's a shame that more people don't join in.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I do think the singers should stand at the back of the stand to make more noise.

I also think that 'negative' songs should be avoided. When we played Batley at home in the league it was noticeable how many songs were just 'anti-Batley' as opposed to 'pro-Dewsbury'. I think we need more of the latter.

And can we also not bother with the "Joe Bloggs takes it up *** ***". It isn't funny, doesn't help our team and will discourage other supporters from joining in.

#32 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

I can tell you that 2 lads are considering bringing the drum next season, next season we want to create more of an atmosphere. Young dean came up to me and told me hes getting a drum or asked if i could sort him one out and our old drummer says hes coming back next season with his drum... Sorry BSJ and co.. but if people want to get behind the lads then you cant tell us not to bang on a drum and chant because nobody as that right, its helps get alot more younger ones and indeed some adults into enjoying their rams experience far more.. So lets all do our bit and get behind the lads in the best way we can. Its up to you if you chant or not.....

Good post tom by the way, i agree and i have tried in past getting people to the back of the stand but alot of fans wont move. It is however their choice, and not mine to tell them where to stand or sit... Just like nobody can tell the barmy army they cant play a drum or chant.

ONETHING WE ALL AGREE ON THOUGH, IS OUR LOVE FOR OUR CLUB, SO HERES TO A GOOD SEASON... :)

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 12 November 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#33 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

I can tell you that 2 lads are considering bringing the drum next season, next season we want to create more of an atmosphere. Young dean came up to me and told me hes getting a drum or asked if i could sort him one out and our old drummer says hes coming back next season with his drum... Sorry BSJ and co.. but if people want to get behind the lads then you cant tell us not to bang on a drum and chant because nobody as that right, its helps get alot more younger ones and indeed some adults into enjoying their rams experience far more.. So lets all do our bit and get behind the lads in the best way we can. Its up to you if you chant or not.....

Good post tom by the way, i agree and i have tried in past getting people to the back of the stand but alot of fans wont move. It is however their choice, and not mine to tell them where to stand or sit... Just like nobody can tell the barmy army they cant play a drum or chant.

ONETHING WE ALL AGREE ON THOUGH, IS OUR LOVE FOR OUR CLUB, SO HERES TO A GOOD SEASON... :)

I would point out that the club did ban drums a couple of years ago. I am not aware that this ban has now been lifted; maybe GFDU could enlighten us?. I know that I speak for many in saying that I do NOT like drums at matches and they considerably detract from my personal matchday enjoyment. I also find that those who wish to "play" them are no more than infantile exhibitionists - but that is simply my humble opinion. :mellow:

Vocal support/backing doesn't always have to involve singing, by the way; we all get behind the team one way or another, it just sometimes doesn't sound like it, Also, like many other people, I much prefer the freedom that terracing provides to move around and discuss the game with others that you aren't simply sitting next to. I occupied a seat in the main stand at Crown Flatt for years yet much preferred the experience on the long stand, notwithstanding the vagaries of the weather.

Tom's recent post is excellent and quite correct in that the matchday experience is very much more than the game on the pitch. It is also worth understanding that we all like different things and that the enjoyment of one group should not be allowed to become the unpleasant experience of others; everyone needs to be catered for/pandered to in one way or another, as far as the club can accommodate it.

So, what would improve my personal enjoyment? In no particular order:

1. A car park that I can walk across without filling my boots with water.
2. Properly designated turnstiles on the South Stand.
3. A small sign indicating the voucher number for the match so that everyone doesn't have to ask the turnstile operator the same question.
4. Sufficient team sheets available at the turnstiles.
5. School/club matches on the pitch at half time.
6 The team immediately come to each stand at the end of the game to receive applause/brickbats.
7. Greater variety in the programme content (a thankless task, I know).
8. More Dewsbury fans present at every match.

I am sure that others can add to this list.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#34 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

I would point out that the club did ban drums a couple of years ago. I am not aware that this ban has now been lifted; maybe GFDU could enlighten us?. I know that I speak for many in saying that I do NOT like drums at matches and they considerably detract from my personal matchday enjoyment. I also find that those who wish to "play" them are no more than infantile exhibitionists - but that is simply my humble opinion. :mellow:

Vocal support/backing doesn't always have to involve singing, by the way; we all get behind the team one way or another, it just sometimes doesn't sound like it, Also, like many other people, I much prefer the freedom that terracing provides to move around and discuss the game with others that you aren't simply sitting next to. I occupied a seat in the main stand at Crown Flatt for years yet much preferred the experience on the long stand, notwithstanding the vagaries of the weather.

Tom's recent post is excellent and quite correct in that the matchday experience is very much more than the game on the pitch. It is also worth understanding that we all like different things and that the enjoyment of one group should not be allowed to become the unpleasant experience of others; everyone needs to be catered for/pandered to in one way or another, as far as the club can accommodate it.

So, what would improve my personal enjoyment? In no particular order:

1. A car park that I can walk across without filling my boots with water.
2. Properly designated turnstiles on the South Stand.
3. A small sign indicating the voucher number for the match so that everyone doesn't have to ask the turnstile operator the same question.
4. Sufficient team sheets available at the turnstiles.
5. School/club matches on the pitch at half time.
6 The team immediately come to each stand at the end of the game to receive applause/brickbats.
7. Greater variety in the programme content (a thankless task, I know).
8. More Dewsbury fans present at every match.

I am sure that others can add to this list.

Good post, atleest we all can agree on one thing, our love for our club. I just sometimes feel other teams get better vocal support than dewsbury fans give our team but i cant force people to chant..

#35 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,389 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

As far as i am aware drums are banned from the ground although violins and triangles are permissable , personaly i love drums provided they are used by such as carl palmer or ginger baker . Drums in the hands of tone deaf incompetents are the work of the devil

#36 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 764 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:16 AM

if drums are banned from rugby grounds then clubs (people in charge) need to get a grip and grow up. it makes the atmosphere where ever you play.

#37 legin

legin
  • Players
  • 83 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

Last time this idea of drums flags etc was discused didnt Kirklees H & S dept tell club no as these items could be used as weapons or some such ruling , as they own the land and club are leaseholders ? Sorry if Im wrong but I recall a conversation with clubs safety officer a few years ago after a row with York who wanted to bring drum to ground and were banned
Perhaps mr Scargill can tell us again please ?

#38 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

if drums are banned from rugby grounds then clubs (people in charge) need to get a grip and grow up. it makes the atmosphere where ever you play.

So do huge flags and marine flares, if Italian football grounds are an example. I fail to see how someone banging a drum makes an atmosphere. Maybe those who do like to bang and listen to drums should gather on the new terracing where they can play to their heart's content.

Sorry to bang on about this.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#39 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,650 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

I'm warning you - I'll bring my bagpipes then you'll all be sorry. :o

#40 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 960 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

Last time this idea of drums flags etc was discused didnt Kirklees H & S dept tell club no as these items could be used as weapons or some such ruling , as they own the land and club are leaseholders ? Sorry if Im wrong but I recall a conversation with clubs safety officer a few years ago after a row with York who wanted to bring drum to ground and were banned
Perhaps mr Scargill can tell us again please ?

When we went to the Bulldogs ground,they was a young puppy banging his drum in the new stand,do grounds have different H&S rules ? Can't really see what the problem is really.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users