Best have a look at the website ...

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Let's wait and see how many Giants players appear regularly in a Batley shirt, other than has been already stated, filling gaps for injuries etc. before we start making such statements.

Fair enough, as long as you wait and see how many SL players appear regularly in a Dewsbury, Hunslet, Swinton, Whitehaven, Rochdale or York shirt too, other than has been already stated, before we start making such statements...

;)
Posted Image

#22 colinb

colinb
  • Coach
  • 949 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

The major point with this link up is the mega step forward in medical provision for the Batley players. No longer will they have to be reliant upon the whim of the NHS for treatment to injuries, which in some cases prevents them from carrying out their day job and earning a living. (FredM.)

Lets say that this medical arrangement had been in place last year----then Chris Buttery, Danny Maun plus others would have had their op's within 1 or 2 weeks and been available fully fit for most of the season. As it is Danny Maun is only just about to have his, courtesy of the NHS.For me this is a good arrangement for the players' welfare, and must be worth a bob or two.

Regards the players from the Giants, only time will tell. In JK we trust??.

Edited by colinb, 08 November 2012 - 02:32 PM.

WHERE DO YOU WANT ME TO SWIPE THIS?

#23 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

At least Mr Thewlis is calling us a partner club and not a feeder club! As stated elsewhere by me, I do wonder whether these partnerships will put off new, young, would be supporters from becoming fans of Championship clubs. Might they be more likely than ever to give their allegiance to a SL club?

Anyway, on a more positive note, I wonder if they have a young McGilvary in their ranks? :rolleyes:

#24 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

At least Mr Thewlis is calling us a partner club and not a feeder club! As stated elsewhere by me, I do wonder whether these partnerships will put off new, young, would be supporters from becoming fans of Championship clubs. Might they be more likely than ever to give their allegiance to a SL club?

Anyway, on a more positive note, I wonder if they have a young McGilvary in their ranks? :rolleyes:

Which clubs are formally being called feeder clubs Bi11?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#25 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Several supporters were told by the main man, "Batley will never be a feeder club". He is a massive Batley fan, (not as massive as some clubs chairmen). Last year we played several loan players without upsetting too many players and this year will be similar. The funds for more players are exhausted so to give players resting time the loan players will be played. This should result in a better play off first game performance. Details of number of games played to qualify for playoffs are not, as yet known. Brough may keep the halves on their toes.

Are you KN's best mate then gruckie - you're posts always carry such "insider" conviction.

#26 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

To lay out the money for insurance, medical bills etc, Huddersfield must be getting more in return than just a run out for their fringe players Doc?

Or anm i missing something?

I don't think you are BTJ.

Fartown, like all the other SL clubs, have had to scrap their U20 academy. The choice they then had was to release all of these players who weren't SL registered or to find another way of them getting the chance of game time in the hope that, as individuals, they would develop into SL standard players. I think it's known as playing both ends against the middle.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#27 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

The major point with this link up is the mega step forward in medical provision for the Batley players. No longer will they have to be reliant upon the whim of the NHS for treatment to injuries, which in some cases prevents them from carrying out their day job and earning a living. (FredM.)

Lets say that this medical arrangement had been in place last year----then Chris Buttery, Danny Maun plus others would have had their op's within 1 or 2 weeks and been available fully fit for most of the season. As it is Danny Maun is only just about to have his, courtesy of the NHS.For me this is a good arrangement for the players' welfare, and must be worth a bob or two.

Playing Devils advocate here, but if the injured players are to have scans and are treated during the season, why do most SL players postpone there operations until the end of the season?

Last season for example the injury sustained by Danny Maun was left to the end of the season, wouldn`t it just be left to the end of season even with the new arrangement?

This said I think it`s a massive plus from a players point of view as any injury sustained should have a minimum impact on their working life. As said above the arrangement could also be useful in enticing players to the Mount.

#28 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

What a farce! Whats the point of having a salary cap if upto 5 players dont count? And the deal for most clubs is not too bad now, but this is just the beginning of SL clubs controlling the championship clubs and championship clubs slowly turning in to Feeder clubs. Batley like others may feel they are independant, but they will slowly be losing this as time goes by. SL clubs are doing this to help themselves rather than anything else. SL clubs are struggling financially and looking to make savings. The championship has lost its charactor and soul with the RFL and SL clubs happy to see.

#29 Daniel

Daniel
  • Coach
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Surely all professional players, even at Championship and Championship 1 level, already have their own private medical cover which pays medical expenses if and when they need it, they did at Dewsbury and the club contributed to the cost. It would just be foolish not to have it considering the risks involved in playing the game.

#30 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Only winners out of these link ups are the S/L teams save money and use the championship team to get there players fit wait untill they start taking the fans or giving them offers to go watch them at a discount rate Hope it doesn't go wrong for Batley as they looked to be getting stronger over the last few seasons and seemed to be a well run club

#31 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

I too have my concerns about the whole link up affair.

At the end of the day, although it's a little dramatic, IMO it's a bit like the nuclear deterrent... you might not want to use it, but you may find yourself with no choice. e.g. If every other team is picking 4 or 5 SL calibre players each week, how are we or any of the other teams going to compete with them? I think even Fev and Fax with there playing budgets may struggle too if all of the teams around them are using the system to the max' every week.

My biggest concern is, it could make the whole league system a joke, League positions could well be decided on which SL players your rivals have playing when you play them. One week we could have the 5 of the Giant's pack playing for us, the week after, we might have none of them. In my eyes that is not right or fair and undermines the whole Championship competition.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 08 November 2012 - 08:08 PM.

#32 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 693 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

Totally agree. I will see how this season goes before making any big decisions but I feel the excitement for next year has faded because of all this supeleague link up business. I hope things will be better than I am expecting otherwise i might as well just go back to getting a season ticket for the rhynos with my mates.

#33 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 816 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

i think everyone has blown this out of the window it's duel reg batley ain't a feeder club, it's like we can loan say murphy, Ferguson and fairbank if they work their way into our 17 for that weekends game but we can also have walmsley and fleming at the same and say maybe james green it doesn't have to be from one club. i trust john kear because he has batley instrests firsts

#34 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

i think everyone has blown this out of the window it's duel reg batley ain't a feeder club, it's like we can loan say murphy, Ferguson and fairbank if they work their way into our 17 for that weekends game but we can also have walmsley and fleming at the same and say maybe james green it doesn't have to be from one club. i trust john kear because he has batley instrests firsts

#35 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Just the same, in fact, as all the other clubs who were being labelled "feeder clubs" by Batley fans before this deal was announced.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#36 blackhawk

blackhawk

boxer boy

• Coach
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Reading web site ,JK will not pick giant players , unless they train with us and prove there worth a shirt ahead of our players , but there available if we need them , cant see anyone telling John who to pick in his side tho

think JK would be absolutely correct in this

#37 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

Problem is no one wants to go down into the league of death so every club will be using their S/L allocations to the limit to give them the best oppartunity to stay in the championship if it makes the league more competative and not a four club manopoly then so be it.

Edited by suzzy, 09 November 2012 - 01:40 PM.

chappy

#38 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,516 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

This is just the start. Its started out as a couple of DR, then a couple of years its now advanced to this. The subtle changes will keep coming and in 10 years time or so we will see feeder clubs but under a different name. Thats how I view it and I dont see John Kear at Batley then to say whats going to happen. And please tell me how exactly Rochdale are not under any influence from St.Helens? Its like Rochdale is a St.Helens feeder club in everything right down to the coach coming from St.Helens! I can see more or more clubs ending up like Rochdale. If people want to believe we are not heading down this route over time fair enough. But history for me shows that SL clubs have no interest in the game only themselves. And they are quite willing to weaken Championship clubs and potentially damage them if it means the SL clubs can run smaller squads and save money overall.

#39 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 555 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

Which clubs are formally being called feeder clubs Bi11?

I haven't suggested that any club is formally a feeder club BSJ. However, as you know, Mr Duffy was reported as calling Dewsbury Rams a feeder club for the Bulls. It doesn't make them a feeder club' but it does help to create that impression. By comparison Mr Thewlis has been more careful and respectful with his language.

In the short term these deals may be very good for the Rams and the Bulldogs; but even if isn't the thin edge of the wedge with feeder status on its way down the line, just the idea in some minds that the Championship clubs are in some sense junior to the SL clubs is likely to effect crowd numbers in the long term.

You suggested on another thread that we should ignore ifs and buts and see how things pan out. Surely its' better to discuss any reservations. I see no harm in airing concerns even if they prove to be totally unfounded.

#40 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

...And please tell me how exactly Rochdale are not under any influence from St.Helens? Its like Rochdale is a St.Helens feeder club in everything right down to the coach coming from St.Helens!

Their Head Coach is a former employee of St Helens, not a current one.

It's fine to be concerned, but don't be panicking about stuff you might have misunderstood.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users