Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

@&#$ing cyclists version 2

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#1 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,124 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 06:51 AM

Tour de France winner and Olympic time trial champion Bradley Wiggins knocked off his bike and suffering suspected broken ribs after a Astra can pulled out if a petrol station and hit him.

http://m.lep.co.uk/n...crash-1-5102981
Fides invicta triumphat

#2 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,919 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:10 AM

Matt Jackson (former Everton, Norwich and Wigan Athletic footballer) got knocked off his bike in virtually the same spot last year when undertaking a charity bike ride from his home (a couple of miles away from the incident) to Norwich, I know the stretch well the road configuration has changed several times over the years, still leads to some interesting manvouvers by motorists.

#3 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

I hope he recovers quickly!

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

the road configuration has changed several times over the years

A lot of people miss the point that very often cyclists are not blaming motorists for driving like cretinous loons rather than pointing out that it's often how the roads have been put together that is the (easily solvable) problem.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,297 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

I believe Shane Sutton, GB cycling coach, is also seriously ill in hospital after a similar incident this morning. It seems Shane has come out of it with much more serious head injuries.

LUNEW.jpg

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

I believe Shane Sutton, GB cycling coach, is also seriously ill in hospital after a similar incident this morning. It seems Shane has come out of it with much more serious head injuries.

Just reported on Radio 5 - best of luck to the both of them.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

This is in addition to the six cyclists (I believe that figure is correct) killed this week.

Still, Saintslass and Gary Coyle can be on in a minute to say why they deserve to be hit.

(EDIT: 6 in the last 2 weeks)

Edited by gingerjon, 08 November 2012 - 01:59 PM.

- Severus, July 2012

#8 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:01 PM

Sitting at a busy road junction in a town centre last night at 6.30pm on a red light. In the space of those few seconds, FIVE cyclists went over the junction on red. Four went 'slowly and carefully' but the other didn't even slow down and went straight through causing several cars to brake/swerve.

#9 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Sitting at a busy road junction in a town centre last night at 6.30pm on a red light. In the space of those few seconds, FIVE cyclists went over the junction on red. Four went 'slowly and carefully' but the other didn't even slow down and went straight through causing several cars to brake/swerve.

You have to ask yourself why in those situations it may be safer to go through on red than wait for the light to turn green.

But, playing that game, I went for a walk at lunchtime and as is my want I crossed Marylebone Road. Number of cars going through red lights: 9; Number of bikes: 2.
- Severus, July 2012

#10 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

This is in addition to the six cyclists (I believe that figure is correct) killed this week.

Still, Saintslass and Gary Coyle can be on in a minute to say why they deserve to be hit.

(EDIT: 6 in the last 2 weeks)

Sadly it justifies the reason I now rarely cycle on main roads. Which is a shame because I really do enjoy it.

#11 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

You have to ask yourself why in those situations it may be safer to go through on red than wait for the light to turn green.

I cycled for many years in London, and that argument of being safer to run the light than to wait 'til it's your turn has never seemed reasonable at any time or in any situation, unless you're being pursued by the Russian Mafia.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#12 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:11 PM

Could it be that they don't give a fig for other road users?

But, playing that game, I went for a walk at lunchtime and as is my want I crossed Marylebone Road. Number of cars going through red lights: 9; Number of bikes: 2.

:huh:

#13 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Proof, if it was actually required, that irrespective of their mode of transport, a certain percentage of road users are a danger to themselves and others. :rolleyes:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#14 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Could it be that they don't give a fig for other road users?

:huh:

Like motorists there are good and bad cyclists. I see a lot more good than bad. I expect most people notice more bad than good.

If I'd included amber I wouldn't have been able to keep count of the cars. The only time I've seen a study done (it was on Trafalgar Square if I recall correctly) they found the same: more cars/motor vehicles going through on red than bikes. When I cycled in the London - I can walk to work now - there were 2 junctions in particular where a few cyclists would advance on red (I personally did not) as it increased their visibility and put them in a safer position on the road.
- Severus, July 2012

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

Proof, if it was actually required, that irrespective of their mode of transport, a certain percentage of road users are a danger to themselves and others. :rolleyes:

I make that point in my reply.

I'm not anti motorist, I am a motorist. I'm anti-dickheads and poor road design.
- Severus, July 2012

#16 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

I make that point in my reply.

I'm not anti motorist, I am a motorist. I'm anti-dickheads and poor road design.

It wasn't meant as a dig at you. ;) I was trying to make the same point as you have now. :)

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#17 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

I expect most people notice more bad than good

There is that. If you are at a traffic light you do tend to notice if a cyclist pulls alongside and then goes through on red, whereas most cars don't pull out and go through on red once they have stopped at lights.

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

I really hope that's not the case and it's not as serious as first feared.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#19 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

I really hope that's not the case and it's not as serious as first feared.

Guardian is reporting 'bleeding on the brain'.
- Severus, July 2012

#20 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,541 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:49 PM

Guardian is reporting 'bleeding on the brain'.

Oh dear, that doesn't sound good.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users