Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

@&#$ing cyclists version 2

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#181 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:14 PM

What proportion of motorcycle accidents don't involve any other vehicle at all?

I ask because an old schoolfriend of mine was killed a few years back when he rode his motorbike at very high speed into a roundabout. Noone else involved.

That's me.  I'm done.

#182 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:20 PM

What proportion of motorcycle accidents don't involve any other vehicle at all?

I ask because an old schoolfriend of mine was killed a few years back when he rode his motorbike at very high speed into a roundabout. Noone else involved.

Quite high IIRC, although what proportion of those are caused by motorcyclists having to make evasive manourves to avoid other road uers, I don't know. Like any other road using group, some motorcyclists are sadly a danger to themselves and others. :(

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#183 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:59 PM

Useful motorbike stuff here: http://www.bikelawye...dent-statistics

Fatal accidents often involve the motorcycle running off the road (41% of fatalities). These are often late at night, weekend crashes involving a drunken motorcyclist
Failing to look properly was the most frequent cause of crashes for all vehicles except motorcycles.
Motorcyclists were most likely to crash through ‘loss of control’ and also most likely to be the victim of someone else failing to look.
The figures also show that 48% of crashes between motorcycles and cars were the result of the car driver failing to look properly.
Recent European research reveals that nearly 70% of motorcycle accidents involved a car, lorry or bus and that approximately 55% of accidents occur at junctions.

Edited by JohnM, 19 December 2012 - 03:59 PM.

#184 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:51 PM

Just as I'm starting to feel sorry for cyclists, I get a lunatic coming towards me on the way to work tonight...in the dark with no lights....on the wrong side of the road. (ie coming towards me)

But to show balance I also had a car pull out on me at a roundabout...at exactly the same time someone pulled out on him. Much beeping of horns and he drove off following the car that pulled out on him.

#185 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,055 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 11:04 PM

Just to keep the moaning going, I had to shout at two pedestrians (separate incidents) to stop them stepping out into my path on my ride to work this morning. Both had headphones on whether that means anything.
Fides invicta triumphat

#186 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:51 AM

Melton Bottom by any chance?

An extremely accurate guess born out of bitter experience, I imagine.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#187 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,994 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:06 AM

Phil i fully agree with you.
But can you please explain, why you were riding/driving so close to parked cars?

Sorry mate but this is getting tiresome. You've made it perfectly clear what your profession is and I respect that and also your experience.

But a parked car is an inanimate object. You may well expect a car door to open if it has only just pulled up but what if it's been parked a while before the driver gets out or what if the windows are sufficiently blacked out so the cyclist couldn't see any movement from within.

You have a pop at a poster on here with "must be great to live in a perfect world" or something similar but if we did, then every cyclist could give parked vehicles a wide berth without any problems. But it's impatient motorists that make this so difficult.

Given that you're a driving instructor, frankly I'm amazed at the stance you take on this issue.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#188 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

And the several numptys I have encountered driving home in the passing rain have swung it back in the cyclists favour.

When did driving with only one headlight become acceptable? Its rife

#189 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:46 AM

When did driving with only one headlight become acceptable? Its rife

This is bugging me a lot at the minute. It seems to be one car in ten round here.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#190 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:17 AM

This is bugging me a lot at the minute. It seems to be one car in ten round here.

I've done it a couple of times recently, sadly. Once upon a time, changing a bulb was easy. With many cars nowadays, it's somewhat more difficult: I need to remove half of the air intake on one side, and the washer bottle on the other to gain the necessary access to the back of the headlights. Consequently, it's not something that I can do in the dark, which means it has to wait until daylight to get done. Not ideal, but needs must for a limited time.

I have however found an increasing trend this year for driving in the dark/at dusk//in fog/in heavy rain with no lights whatsoever. No that is annoying & dangerous!

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#191 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,287 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

I've done it a couple of times recently, sadly. Once upon a time, changing a bulb was easy. With many cars nowadays, it's somewhat more difficult: I need to remove half of the air intake on one side, and the washer bottle on the other to gain the necessary access to the back of the headlights. Consequently, it's not something that I can do in the dark, which means it has to wait until daylight to get done. Not ideal, but needs must for a limited time.

I have however found an increasing trend this year for driving in the dark/at dusk//in fog/in heavy rain with no lights whatsoever. No that is annoying & dangerous!

Even allowing for people who are going to sort it in the morning there does seem to be a very high number of cars this applies to!
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#192 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

Even allowing for people who are going to sort it in the morning there does seem to be a very high number of cars this applies to!

I'm not disagreeing with your point at all, it might explain some though. This I mean, is just lunacy. Basic maintainence should be straighforward to carry out, and car manufacturers should have to make it so!

http://www.guardian....ht-bulb-renault

Please view my photos.

#193 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

Its called "The Lincolnshire Squint" You are allowed to have either just one working headlamp or two working headlamps as long as one of them is not fitted correctly so it looks as though it is on main beam. It is also compulsory to have your front foglights on all the time. Being a cyclist, I see now that it is all my fault.

Edited by JohnM, 20 December 2012 - 09:20 AM.

#194 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,776 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

I'm not saying it's right. But for those who don't have the tools/knowledge to replace headlights, it may be an expense they are putting off, then putting off again in these straightened times. Especially when some modern cars seem to need so much stuff removed just to change a bulb.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#195 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

There is a valid reason why it is done like that..

#196 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

An extremely accurate guess born out of bitter experience, I imagine.

Aye, for some reason a disproportionately high number of drivers drive dangerously along that stretch.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#197 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

I'm not saying it's right. But for those who don't have the tools/knowledge to replace headlights, it may be an expense they are putting off, then putting off again in these straightened times. Especially when some modern cars seem to need so much stuff removed just to change a bulb.

As GJ says the numbers are too high for it to be the odd person getting caught out. AND I have seen the same cars near me with broken headlights for several days or even weeks.

I have a personal bee in my bonnet about this having almost hit a car with one headlight in the pitch black on a narrow lane one morning driving to work.

#198 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,530 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I've always found it a little ironic that it's such a faff to replace the bulb in a Focus.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#199 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,020 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

Given that you're a driving instructor, frankly I'm amazed at the stance you take on this issue.

What stance is that?

#200 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,314 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

That everyone has to get out of the way of cars.