TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

@&#$ing cyclists version 2

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#41 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

Good programme on BBC1 now about the cycle v cars situation. Idiots on both sides IMO. The guy doing the filming on his cycle helmet is a prat and seems intent on stirring it.

#42 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

its not as general is we might think. In theUK about 1,500,000 speeding tickets are issued each year on a guilty until proven innocent basis

But that is a law based on a definite rule, there is no interpretation of a parking zone it either is one or it isn't. If you park your car in a no parking zone you are guilty of illegal parking.

If however you can prove a technicality, missing signs, yellow lines eroded etc. then though you have still technically committed the offence you can be let off because it is excusable to make an error where the usual indicators are not present or are incorrect. It doesn't change the fact though that the area is designated as a no parking zone.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#43 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:44 AM

Good programme on BBC1 now about the cycle v cars situation. Idiots on both sides IMO. The guy doing the filming on his cycle helmet is a prat and seems intent on stirring it.

I haven't seen the programme yet (on my sky +) but there are a couple of things that concern me. 1. The title of the programme is clearly designed to stir up feelings for both drivers and cyclists. 2. the fella who wears the cycle cam helmet has already stated in twitter that he is unhappy at the way he has been portrayed and that the production crew gave him the impression that the programme would be different from the end product.

The helmet cam guy produces the silly cyclist YouTube videos that show stupid things done by cyclists and give general safety tips that I've found useful. Cyclists just want to be able to cycle safely from A to B, being involved in a collision is not a enviable outcome for us.

According to the latest email from British Cycling, 99% of British Cycling members are also car drivers.

Edited by Severus, 06 December 2012 - 12:45 AM.

Fides invicta triumphat

#44 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

... the production crew gave him the impression that the programme would be different from the end product.

Well, that'd be a first....not. I have direct experience of how they gently and incrementally lead you unwittingly down their path. Also for me by concentrating on the capital, they were unrepresentative. However, the woman whose daughter was killed by the concrete mixer lorry driver was quite remarkable.

Because of the general attitude of the police and the judicial system wich does not in my opinion protect cyclists, I would support the introduction of strict liability, mandatory cycle training for provisional car licence holders, mandatory hellmets for all car drivers and a real clampdown on irresponsible cyclists.

#45 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:44 AM

I haven't seen the programme yet (on my sky +) but there are a couple of things that concern me. 1. The title of the programme is clearly designed to stir up feelings for both drivers and cyclists. 2. the fella who wears the cycle cam helmet has already stated in twitter that he is unhappy at the way he has been portrayed and that the production crew gave him the impression that the programme would be different from the end product.

The helmet cam guy produces the silly cyclist YouTube videos that show stupid things done by cyclists and give general safety tips that I've found useful. Cyclists just want to be able to cycle safely from A to B, being involved in a collision is not a enviable outcome for us.

According to the latest email from British Cycling, 99% of British Cycling members are also car drivers.

It wasn't just the bits where he was on the road though, his general manner was pretty arrogant IMO. He was OTT in banging on that cab drivers roof for instance and then goading him by clapping? He was lucky not to get a punch I reckon.

That's not to say cyclists don't have a case, they do. Idiots are idiots though whether on a bike or in a car.

#46 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

Because of the general attitude of the police and the judicial system wich does not in my opinion protect cyclists, I would support the introduction of strict liability, mandatory cycle training for provisional car licence holders, mandatory hellmets for all car drivers and a real clampdown on irresponsible cyclists.

How would a disabled person in a wheelchair. Do the mandatory cycle training for provisional car licence holders?
How would a very tall person who drives a small car have enough space above there head?

If you are going to come up with a idea try thinking it through.

#47 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,738 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

I have thought it through. You just disagree.

#48 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:06 AM

I have thought it through. You just disagree.

Answer the two questions John.

#49 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

How would a disabled person in a wheelchair. Do the mandatory cycle training for provisional car licence holders?
How would a very tall person who drives a small car have enough space above there head?

If you are going to come up with a idea try thinking it through.

Mandatory cycle training doesn't mean they need to be able to ride a bike. A wheelchair user is probably more than aware of people not noticing them. To experience being on a road as a cyclist they could sit in a rickshaw.

As for the car helmet a tall person will need to buy a bigger car.

By the way I don't think either idea is necessary especially the car helmet. All motorists and cyclists need to use is COMMON SENSE! Something that appears to be sadly lacking in a lot of today's society.

Edited by Wiltshire Rhino, 06 December 2012 - 10:55 AM.

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#50 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:17 AM

Exactly WR. All it takes is common sense. We all want to get from A-B, there shouldn't be a war over it.

The guy who did the filming with his helmet-cam (name escapes me) was doing things like cycling in the middle of the road purely to block cars getting past. His logic being 'I'm just as important as them'. It's dicks like this (on both sides) that actually cause most of the problems on the roads. if you're on a bike it makes sense to move in a bit and let the car past....what good is making a point if you end up splattered all over the kerb? Dingbat.

#51 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

Exactly WR. All it takes is common sense. We all want to get from A-B, there shouldn't be a war over it.

The guy who did the filming with his helmet-cam (name escapes me) was doing things like cycling in the middle of the road purely to block cars getting past. His logic being 'I'm just as important as them'. It's dicks like this (on both sides) that actually cause most of the problems on the roads. if you're on a bike it makes sense to move in a bit and let the car past....what good is making a point if you end up splattered all over the kerb? Dingbat.

Cycling in the middle of the road is comfortably the safest place to cycle for both the cyclist and the driver.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#52 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

It is recommended practice to cycle in the middle of the lane where it may be dangerous to cycle nearer the curb, e.g., pedestrians stepping out, obstructions in the cycle path, traffic islands etc.
Fides invicta triumphat

#53 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Cycling in the middle of the road is comfortably the safest place to cycle for both the cyclist and the driver.

Yes possibly in the highway code or even ideally. But

If someone is driving up your r's, it is common sense to move aside and let them get on with it. I hate it on the motorway when someone tailgates you at high speed. My initial reaction is '#### 'em, I'm not going slow they can wait' but in reality I move lanes and let the jackass crash into someone else.

#54 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yes possibly in the highway code or even ideally. But

If someone is driving up your r's, it is common sense to move aside and let them get on with it. I hate it on the motorway when someone tailgates you at high speed. My initial reaction is '#### 'em, I'm not going slow they can wait' but in reality I move lanes and let the jackass crash into someone else.

What if there is no lane to the left to go into and no space for them to safely overtake?
Fides invicta triumphat

#55 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:24 PM

What if there is no lane to the left to go into and no space for them to safely overtake?

Get off and doff your cap as they go by.
- Severus, July 2012

#56 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:26 PM

Mandatory cycle training doesn't mean they need to be able to ride a bike. A wheelchair user is probably more than aware of people not noticing them. To experience being on a road as a cyclist they could sit in a rickshaw.

As for the car helmet a tall person will need to buy a bigger car.

By the way I don't think either idea is necessary especially the car helmet. All motorists and cyclists need to use is COMMON SENSE! Something that appears to be sadly lacking in a lot of today's society.

If you are going to come up with a working idea. First of all it has to work.
Yours doesnt. Lets try again.

#57 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:27 PM

Then obviously they have to wait, again common sense. Blocking people who can safely overtake though, is just being a annoying person.

lol@ very sensitive swear filter. :D

Edited by Johnoco, 06 December 2012 - 12:28 PM.

#58 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Then obviously they have to wait, again common sense. Blocking people who can safely overtake though, is just being a annoying person.

If they can safely overtake they're not being blocked :unsure:
- Severus, July 2012

#59 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

They are if some clown on a bike is hogging the road simply to make a point. There's no need for such attitudes by anyone: we'd all get everywhere quicker without the knobs causing trouble.

#60 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:35 PM

I didnt write that. You have quoted the wrong person.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users