Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

@&#$ing cyclists version 2

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#81 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

As a driving instructor

Me too. Just waiting for my pupil. Got to teach them "The Magic Roundabout". Always fun.

#82 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I'd start by getting driving instructors to discuss issues of "smidsy", cycle awareness, mobile phone/satnav use, accident stats etc with their pupils, as that could be be done immediately without legislation. I'd then add these into the legislative framework surrounding the whole licence adventure.

Clearly no one is going to wear a helmet when in a car, even though this is an eminently sensible measure and one that is continually advocated for cyclists.

#83 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'd start by getting driving instructors to discuss issues of "smidsy", cycle awareness, mobile phone/satnav use, accident stats etc with their pupils, as that could be be done immediately without legislation. I'd then add these into the legislative framework surrounding the whole licence adventure.

I just love the way you think driving instructors do not do this already.

Now lets say for the sake of argument this is done. How do you know it will hit home. with the person you are talking to about it?

#84 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:57 PM

Me too. Just waiting for my pupil. Got to teach them "The Magic Roundabout". Always fun.

Good luck with it.
Only ever seen pics on the internet and it looks quite interesting B)

#85 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

Now lets say for the sake of argument this is done. How do you know it will hit home. with the person you are talking to about it?

Depends how good you are at it, really. And where did I say it wasn't done, only that it shouild be done.

#86 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:57 PM

Some people are just plain stupid. My cyclist had a really good rear light - bright red and flashing! I saw him from a long way off, which made it easy to slow down to 10mph on the hill. It really would be suicide to cycle on the road from Sproxton to Hovingham without lights as there are no street lights for miles and it is really dark!

Thing is, that cyclist was the third that I had seen in a seven day period cycling at night without lights. Not one of the three was wearing a helmet either. Coincidentally, maybe, all three were male too! Oh, and one of them rode against the direction of the traffic as well.

Thankfully I saw a truly sensible cyclist on the way home tonight. He clearly knew stuff like the Highway Code, road safety and how to actually ride a bike. Restored my increasingly shakey faith in cyclists after the last week's encounters!

#87 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Depends how good you are at it, really. And where did I say it wasn't done, only that it shouild be done.

I understand this post may have been written with you not having much time John.

Now you have had a bit more time care to answer the second part of the post you have quoted.

#88 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:45 PM

Thing is, that cyclist was the third that I had seen in a seven day period cycling at night without lights. Not one of the three was wearing a helmet either. Coincidentally, maybe, all three were male too!

Ahhh ... the sweet smell of casual, misguided sexism.

But, anyway, riding without lights is idiotic but given that you saw them perhaps they didn't need them. It is illegal to ride without a light when it's needed though. Unlike wearing a helmet which is not a legal requirement and also of debatable benefit. Cycle helmets conform to no quality standards and will protect you best should you be hit by a van's wing-mirror. In pretty much every other case you're about as likely to have a head injury (and apparently more likely to have a neck injury) wearing a helmet.

And they will also be men because the majority of cyclists are.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#89 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

http://www.thisislin...sislincolnshire

#90 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

1. Depends how good you are at it, really. And where did I say it wasn't done, only that it should be done.
2. Depends how good you are at it, really.

#91 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Presumably his twelve month ban from driving will run at the same time as his 12 month jail sentence?
- Severus, July 2012

#92 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

How the hell can this man be described as a hard-working, decent and usually honest and trustworthy family man? :angry:
Fides invicta triumphat

#93 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,318 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Presumably his twelve month ban from driving will run at the same time as his 12 month jail sentence?

That would be truly absurd if it is actually the case.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#94 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

How is this not attempted murder?

LUNEW.jpg

#95 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,613 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:01 PM

How is this not attempted murder?

On face value I'd agree with you but perhaps there is more to it? Maybe the kid had done lots of things to the guy or his family and eventually the guy cracked? Not a reasonable response but he clearly lost it for whatever reason.

Not that I'm saying that is the case but frequently people are driven (no pun intended) over the edge.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#96 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,179 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Ahhh ... the sweet smell of casual, misguided sexism.

Nothing misguided about it. I have yet to see on my commute a female cyclist behaving like an idiot. So far all of them - and there have been so many - have been male.

#97 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,852 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:27 PM

Nothing misguided about it. I have yet to see on my commute a female cyclist behaving like an idiot. So far all of them - and there have been so many - have been male.

You appear to be getting distracted by healthy young men whilst driving ...
- Severus, July 2012

#98 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,618 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

Maybe the mad females don't hit the road until its time to do the shopping. :rolleyes:

#99 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,685 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

Oh purlease
Fides invicta triumphat

#100 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

She's not far wrong in this it lady cyclists are much more polite and respect other road users than your average fat guy in lycra.

Having said that I always try to be a considerate cyclist even not jumping the queue in traffic, it's amazing how better treated you get from a car when you need to take the right lane to turn, if they have seen you waiting in front of them in thUe queue at the lights, rather than cut through the cars everywhichway before suddenly cutting across

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users