@&#$ing cyclists version 2

• Please log in to reply
225 replies to this topic

#121 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Does it matter? They were real bikes I presume? Why would saying it was filmed in 2006 make any odds? They were still riding around like maniacs, people could still have been injured.

Or should they have not mentioned that cycles driven recklessly can also be very dangerous?

Last week, two blokes killed themselves driving down the M1 at 140pmh. Would a report that put this forward as typical behaviour be fair?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#122 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,823 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Last week, two blokes killed themselves driving down the M1 at 140pmh. Would a report that put this forward as typical behaviour be fair?

Partially yes, as there are no shortage of lunatics driving like that on our motorways.

Most people don't drink and drive, surely following that logic they shouldn't highlight drink driving as it is only the minority that do it.

The tone of that Guardian piece implies any criticism or bad portrayal of cyclists is verboten.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#123 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,945 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

The BBC and Leopard Films, the independent production company involved, would appear to have seriously misled viewers

I find that hard to believe as they don't have any previous :lol: :D :lol: :D

#124 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:30 PM

Most people don't drink and drive, surely following that logic they shouldn't highlight drink driving as it is only the minority that do it.

There are over 80,000 convictions every year for drink-driving in England & Wales.
- Severus, July 2012

#125 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,762 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:05 PM

Partially yes, as there are no shortage of lunatics driving like that on our motorways.

The tone of that Guardian piece implies any criticism or bad portrayal of cyclists is verboten.

The difference is that whilst people realise that there may be some idiots on the road, drivers as a group aren't vilified to the extent that cyclists are. You only have to look at some of the posts on this thread to see that. Granted there are idiots on two wheels who seem intent on removing themselves from the gene pool, but why is there hatred towards all cyclists? I've been out on my bike and have experienced vitriol from drivers and I can assure you that I wasn't doing anything wrong. In one instance a driver shouted obscenities at me for about 200 yards before trying (unsuccessfully) to knock me off. To this day I have no idea what this guys problem was.
Fides invicta triumphat

#126 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,026 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

The verdict has come in for the case which kick-started The Times's Cycle Safe campaign. The lorry driver who crushed Mary Bowers such that she now requires 24 hour care admitted not seeing her despite being behind her for 10 seconds, admitted that he didn't even know there was a cycle lane beside him, admitted he did not look properly, admitted not applying his handbrake so that his lorry continued to roll over her and that he was concentrating on a (hands free) phone call at the time giving directions to another colleague.

The jury decided that such actions are careless, not dangerous. So he gets a £2,700 fine and an 8 month ban.

The judge, apparently, was 'visibily angry' at the jury's decision.

EDIT
And if you pimp your car windows such that you can't see, open your door causing a cyclist to fall under the wheels of a bus and be killed - the jury will also let you off. (http://road.cc/conte...-london-cyclist).

Still, y'know, some cyclists don't wear helmets ...

Edited by gingerjon, 14 December 2012 - 04:24 PM.

- Severus, July 2012

#127 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,945 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'm sure that will not be the end of the matter. It is surely no longer socially acceptable to kill cyclists with impunity and I am sure the CPS or whoever will use the full force of the law to get these perverse verdicts overturned.

#128 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

And if you pimp your car windows such that you can't see, open your door causing a cyclist to fall under the wheels of a bus and be killed - the jury will also let you off. (http://road.cc/conte...-london-cyclist).

They were saying on the radio that this case went to the Old Bailey because the CPS knew that there was a gap in the law. He couldn't be done for driving offenses as he wasn't driving at the time (paraphrasing).
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#129 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,823 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

There are over 80,000 convictions every year for drink-driving in England & Wales.

And how many drivers are there?

#130 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,823 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:18 PM

The difference is that whilst people realise that there may be some idiots on the road, drivers as a group aren't vilified to the extent that cyclists are. You only have to look at some of the posts on this thread to see that. Granted there are idiots on two wheels who seem intent on removing themselves from the gene pool, but why is there hatred towards all cyclists? I've been out on my bike and have experienced vitriol from drivers and I can assure you that I wasn't doing anything wrong. In one instance a driver shouted obscenities at me for about 200 yards before trying (unsuccessfully) to knock me off. To this day I have no idea what this guys problem was.

I can't begin to understand idiots like that, nor can you really legislate for them. Let me be clear, I have absolutely nothing against cyclists, zilch. But there are idiots about on two or four wheels and you can't apply a brush to it and say its all one party or the other.

What about number plates (registrations) for bikes? Is this a consideration?

#131 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,945 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Don't think so. I'm sure it happens elsewhere, though but I just can't see it being done here.

#132 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,762 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

I can't begin to understand idiots like that, nor can you really legislate for them. Let me be clear, I have absolutely nothing against cyclists, zilch. But there are idiots about on two or four wheels and you can't apply a brush to it and say its all one party or the other.

What about number plates (registrations) for bikes? Is this a consideration?

Yeah, I didn't mean to rant at you. TBF most drivers are courteous and sensible. Unfortunately of the thousand or so of cars you encounter on a ride, it's the one idiot that you remember.

Doubt you'll ever get bikes to be registered (or cyclists for that matter). Too difficult to implement and enforce. I would like to see poor cycling become socially unacceptable like drink driving has become.
Fides invicta triumphat

#133 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Just got delivery of my electric bike on Friday. First time out this morning on it and what an amazing piece of kit.

Normally a 35 minute walk to work,now it's 10 mins on mi bike.

Can highly recommend these,cost me £660 but got it thru the government cycle scheme so it's about a third off.

Will be lit up like a Christmas tree

#134 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

EDIT

Still, y'know, some cyclists don't wear helmets ...

I am not saying the person in the car is not to blame. But why was the bike rider so close to the parked car?

#135 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

I am not saying the person in the car is not to blame. But why was the bike rider so close to the parked car?

Because some impatient overtaking motorists don't give cyclists enough room?

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#136 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Because some impatient overtaking motorists don't give cyclists enough room?

If that was the reason. Did he slow down in case someone opened a door?

#137 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,782 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:22 PM

If that was the reason. Did he slow down in case someone opened a door?

Who..the cyclist or the bus driver?

No idea mate, not read the article, I just thought that was the obvious answer. Also, everybody should check before opening a door onto the road.

I was behind a car yesterday morning west of Hull, national speed limit road, we were coming up to a cyclist on the left with double white lines down the middle of a narrow road. A car was coming the other way just at the time the driver in front reached the cyclist. He didn't even bother braking, overtook the cyclist whilst remaining the correct side of the double white lines, missing the cyclist by about 18 inches. It seemed it was more important to him to observe the road markings than risk wiping out the cyclist.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#138 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:18 PM

Who..the cyclist or the bus driver?

I am talking about the cyclist.

No idea mate, not read the article, I just thought that was the obvious answer. Also, everybody should check before opening a door onto the road.

Maybe he did check, but didnt see the cyclist.

I was behind a car yesterday morning west of Hull, national speed limit road, we were coming up to a cyclist on the left with double white lines down the middle of a narrow road. A car was coming the other way just at the time the driver in front reached the cyclist. He didn't even bother braking, overtook the cyclist whilst remaining the correct side of the double white lines, missing the cyclist by about 18 inches. It seemed it was more important to him to observe the road markings than risk wiping out the cyclist.

Maybe he thought he had more room than he did. Maybe he didnt care, maybe he didnt even see the cyclist. With out knowing all the facts its hard to say what the reason was.

#139 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,945 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Here is the BBC report: http://www.bbc.co.uk...london-20725496

Sam Harding bicycle death: Kenan Aydogdu cleared of manslaughter
He had had the windows of his car coated with a dark plastic film which reduced visibility in and out of the car to 17%
Witnesses on the bus said Mr Aydogdu opened his door directly into the path of the cyclist on 6 August last year...
Mr Aydogdu, who admitted opening the door without using his mirror...

Lets just trust that Adogdu's life is ruined like he ended Harding's life and ruined the lives of Harding's family.

#140 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

The BBC report mentions about his dark windows. Having a full report from the court would be better.
We dont know if the dark windows caused any problem. We dont know how close to the parked car was the cyclist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users