Photo
- - - - -

Police Commissioner elections

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Poll: Are you going to vote in the Police Commissioner elections? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you going to vote in the Police Commissioner elections?

1. Yes. (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

2. No. (16 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

3. Not eligible to vote. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. No election in my area. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. I have no idea what you talking about. Elect what? When? Where...??? (1 votes [4.17%])

Percentage of vote: 4.17%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

It was a similar problem in Hull with Prescott. Most people I knew from Hull hated him but they wouldn't vote for any party other than labour.

I'm sure that all those haters will elect JP to his new job of PCC next week.

Edited by WearyRhino, 08 November 2012 - 09:39 AM.

LUNEW.jpg

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

I'm sure that all those haters will elect JP to his new job of PCC next week.

Sadly being in East Riding I have to accept that he's going to get the job. I've voted (by post so done already) for an independent who actually has experience in what I feel is a relevant area (ie policing and NOT politics).

My fear is the PCC is just going to be another political job for the boys. I see no evidence to the contrary so far.

Edited by RidingPie, 08 November 2012 - 09:44 AM.

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:47 AM

Sadly being in East Riding I have to accept that he's going to get the job. I've voted (by post so done already) for an independent who actually has experience in what I feel is a relevant area (ie policing and NOT politics).

My fear is the PCC is just going to be another political job for the boys. I see no evidence to the contrary so far.

I can't see how the PCCs will work, any 'independent' who has been involved with policing is next door to useless as they'll be in with the boys in blue already (IMO, I accept other POVs are available) and any party politico will just be using it for their own and their party's barnstorming. Utter nonsense. WTF do I know about policing in Slough - but I get to vote for a commissioner who'll be running it?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

I've voted the same way for the same reasons (yes, I've already voted, I have a postal vote because I work away from home so often). Our local independent is a
former Police Authority member who is a university lecturer in law. In other words, someone who knows what the job is about.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#5 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

I can't see how the PCCs will work, any 'independent' who has been involved with policing is next door to useless as they'll be in with the boys in blue already (IMO, I accept other POVs are available) and any party politico will just be using it for their own and their party's barnstorming. Utter nonsense. WTF do I know about policing in Slough - but I get to vote for a commissioner who'll be running it?

I agree with all of that... maybe its just personal but I feel the independent who is in with the boys in blue already will do a slightly better job than someone scoring points for their political party... that might be just how disillusioned I am by the whole thing though.

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I agree with all of that... maybe its just personal but I feel the independent who is in with the boys in blue already will do a slightly better job than someone scoring points for their political party... that might be just how disillusioned I am by the whole thing though.

I think we have three independents on the ballot. If I vote, and I haven't yet decided if I will, I'm going to pick one of them at random.
- Severus, July 2012

#7 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

Moved these 'off topic' comments from another thread to a new one of their own.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#8 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Voted. by the way, the West Yorkshire Police Authority has 16 members plus 30 employees. Anyone know what Commissioners office will comprise?

#9 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,240 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Thanks John. You're right its an important topic that deserves its own thread.

#10 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

WTF!
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#11 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

I am not voting this time. I think the whole idea is a waste of time and (more importantly) money, especially when the government are cutting back on so many things.
Is this the justification for cutting back so many fire stations (again)?
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#12 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

I also think this is a massive waste of time and don't agree one bit with the politicisation of the police force. Don't want to "waste" my vote though, so thinking of spoiling my ballot for the first time ever. I know it'll do no good, but it'll make me feel better
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#13 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,682 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:35 PM

For the life of me, I can't see why this ballot is being held, at great cost and with little public interest, as a single entity. It should have been held over for voting on the same day as the next local council elections.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#14 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 343 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

A waste of time and money. At the moment my police authority is made up of nine county councillors who are appointed in proportion to the number of seats held by each political party, and eight independant members who are from 'the community'. They are the ones who appoint chief constables and 'guide' the way they want 'their' police to act. To have one man in charge, most probably with a political bias or agenda seems wrong In my county, to replace the PA we have 4 candidates, one tory, one labour, one lib dem and one ukip - no independents or 'man of the people types', they are all serving politicians.

Talking to our local Pc about it, he says the police are worried about the politicalisation of the process and points to the USA where in many states and counties local politicians appoint the chief of police who has to 'obey' his political master or he's out. They are worried the same thing would creep in here.

#15 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

I live in Lincolnshire. What is a "local PC"?

#16 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,750 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

I also think this is a massive waste of time and don't agree one bit with the politicisation of the police force. Don't want to "waste" my vote though, so thinking of spoiling my ballot for the first time ever. I know it'll do no good, but it'll make me feel better

Same here.

I haven't heard from any of the candidates, I don't even know their names, so it is impossible to make a sensible decision about which one of them to vote for. Whoever 'wins' these elections, they'll have no real legitimacy IMO.

How much is this whole exercise costing, I wonder?

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#17 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

To be honest the average voter doesn't have a clue about foreign policy or macroeconomics but they still get a vote in elections.

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,392 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:03 PM

To be honest the average voter doesn't have a clue about foreign policy or macroeconomics but they still get a vote in elections.

I take the point but in defence of representative democracy I'd say that your MP is also meant to stand and address concerns that you will have. So they should have a position that will impact your local hospital that you can agree with or not, they may have certain views on the importance of sorting out the wording of gay marriage and so on. You don't need to know or agree with everything to get the point. Also, they are, at best one loud voice amongst 600 braying equivalents.

The police commissioner is, so far as I understand it, the sole guvnor for local policing. And I don't know about policing - and 'local' brings together areas that have little in common.
- Severus, July 2012

#19 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,296 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Blatant attempt by the Tories to get political control of the police knowing full well that it is their 'law and order' voters who are most likely to turn out.

They want a hang 'em flog 'em, bang anybody up no questions asked police force and expect it to be followed up with American style judges who can bring in their own punishments for the local police czars invented crimes.

They've got previous, but now they want to make it legal.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#20 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,618 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

:D :D
PCCs will not be expected to run the police. The role of the PCC is to be the voice of the people and hold the police to account.

Edited by JohnM, 08 November 2012 - 10:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users