Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Feeder clubs? - Eaton speaks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
203 replies to this topic

#121 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Actually, the M62 made a huge difference to player mobility. Pre M62, players tended to play for local clubs largely because they couldn't travel far to training after work.

By 1980 the delayed eastbound M62 heading to Hull was in place so it made it easy for Hull.F.C. to sign up all the best players from Fev, Wakefield and Castleford - and what a list!! and create artificially a second successful top tier club in Hull.

The journey would have been quick, would have been easy to share, and comfortable on a largely empty big straight road with the boulevard the right side of Hull to get to. I don't think the above will happen again.

That players will travel for their career means that if Featherstone or Sheffield do find a crackerjack locally they will simply lose them to a local Super league club. It does seem like a bashing your head against the wall excersise.

The next Zac may sign on locally AT FIRST because his mates also did, but many ambitious players may well just go straight to the local SL club and my gawd pick any one of FIVE within a car ride of Fev never mind that journey travelled by Toppo, Knocker etc all those 30 years ago.

So why open an academy in the CC's?

Because there are several boxes to tick if you want to get into Superleague that's why. This is one of them.

OK OK someone may say stuff like "we are doing this because we believe in RL and we want to be at the forefront of developing the game (and we are proud to have supplied Leeds with Zac Hardaker) etc"

But it's there primarily as a key to SL entry, and what a costly key it is. Conversely Hunslet are sharing Leeds Academy.

Stark contrasts indeed......

#122 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

Featherstone Lions will have received compensation of £100.

SERIOUSLY???

Blimey :o

I have heard of agents taking big fees but Mr. Mullaney takes the biscuit.

An £80,000 handling fee for introducing £450 Zac Hardaker to Leeds.

#123 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

SERIOUSLY???

F'raid so.

Check out RFL website . Official Guide 2012. C1 : 5 . Community Game Compensation....C1 :5: 1...... :(

#124 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,268 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:53 AM

F'raid so.

Check out RFL website . Official Guide 2012. C1 : 5 . Community Game Compensation....C1 :5: 1...... :(

aren't pro clubs at liberty to go over and above that ammount?

One would have thought it would be in the pro club's best interests as well as the right and honourable thing to do.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#125 del capo

del capo
  • Coach
  • 761 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

aren't pro clubs at liberty to go over and above that ammount?

One would have thought it would be in the pro club's best interests as well as the right and honourable thing to do.

Yes to both points. Some actually do ,most don't.

Those clubs with any sense do actually try to look after their own backyards., but they're a minority......

The biggest problem seems to be that virtually all Championship clubs are effectively skint and I've seen documents this year suggesting a lot of them begrudge even this figure as it has to be paid each time they sign on a ' part time ' pro , sometimes just to bolster their rotas.....

Any one out there from Featherstone Lions who can say what the ' Zak ' factor did for them financially ?

#126 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,268 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:36 PM

Yes to both points. Some actually do ,most don't.

Those clubs with any sense do actually try to look after their own backyards., but they're a minority......

The biggest problem seems to be that virtually all Championship clubs are effectively skint and I've seen documents this year suggesting a lot of them begrudge even this figure as it has to be paid each time they sign on a ' part time ' pro , sometimes just to bolster their rotas.....

Any one out there from Featherstone Lions who can say what the ' Zak ' factor did for them financially ?

thanks mate.
I'm a bit taken aback.
Keeping it local

#127 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:02 PM

Well, that's how it is.

Everyone wants a service. No-one wants to pay for it.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#128 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,268 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Well, that's how it is.

Everyone wants a service. No-one wants to pay for it.

but what about morality?

edit: and fairness and justice and that.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 15 November 2012 - 01:06 PM.

Keeping it local

#129 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

but what about morality?

edit: and fairness and justice and that.

:lol:

#130 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:54 PM

SERIOUSLY???

Nowt to do with me Parky, I'm just a fan like you. Bigger clubs than Fev have cashed in on good juniors. It doesn't seem adequate I agree but that's how it is. I'd like to think that Rovers help the Lions in other ways.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#131 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:03 PM

Hunslet, either the club or the surrounding area, has been a feeder club, or feeder area since the late sixties, or maybe even further back. First Hunslet Juniors, and then Hunslet Parkside have always produce outstanding youngsters that have signed for other clubs rather than stay in South Leeds, and many have gone to the Loiners, who never bothered to develop decent junior teams themselves but waited to poach the cream from Hunslet, Fev, and other prolific nurseries. I often wonder if the fortunes of both clubs would have been different today if Hunslet had been called Leeds and the Rhinos had been called Headingley when they first formed?
At least now Hunslet might get some benefit, they might get some ex-Parkside Juniors back, and they might get an increase in crowds from Rhinos supporters. Most of them can easily catch a bus to Dewsbury Road, but I'm not sure how Widnes supporters are going to get to Workington?

Steve, it will be interesting to see whether the RFL have the inclination to arrange the Hunslet and Leeds home games so that there's no clash. Even if they do I just can't see Rhinos fans paying 20 odd quid plus travel costs to watch their team on a Friday night then fork out another £16 to watch their A team in the guise of Hunslet Hawks.

#132 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,268 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Nowt to do with me Parky, I'm just a fan like you. Bigger clubs than Fev have cashed in on good juniors. It doesn't seem adequate I agree but that's how it is. I'd like to think that Rovers help the Lions in other ways.

do you think it fair and moral that your club 'cashes in on good juniors' in this way.

justice fairness and morality seems to figure highly in your output on this and other forums.

For many years you were a senior member of thre Rovers' heirarchy, and eager to speak out against unfairness real or percieved. What other ways did and do Rovers help out local amateur clubs from whom they sign players?
Keeping it local

#133 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,492 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:00 PM

do you think it fair and moral that your club 'cashes in on good juniors' in this way.

Admittedly, it's a hell of a mark-up at 80,000%, but exactly how much work did the Lions do ? Did Hardaker just have innate talent when he arrived ?

#134 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Admittedly, it's a hell of a mark-up at 80,000%, but exactly how much work did the Lions do ? Did Hardaker just have innate talent when he arrived ?

Leeds wanted Zak's signature well before his contract expired. Warrington were also keen to sign him. The two SL powers entered into a bidding war and Rovers accepted the best offer. I can't see much wrong with that, it happens in major sports all the time.

Rovers didn't just inherit a gifted player, he wasn't wanted by SL clubs as a junior and didn't make any of the rep camps. He really blossomed once he joined the Rovers system so I think it's fair to say that Daryl Powell and his team played a major part in Zak being the player he is now. Zak himself will tell you that.

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 15 November 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#135 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

maybe, but not sure what Rovers did with him.

When he landed at Leeds playing centre he couldn't/wouldn't pass so they didn't teach him that :D

#136 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

When he landed at Leeds playing centre he couldn't/wouldn't pass so they didn't teach him that :D

See above post Parky. Rovers did enough to to have Hetherington and Smith salivating over him. Listen to Zak's comments about his time at Fev here

#137 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,268 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

See above post Parky. Rovers did enough to to have Hetherington and Smith salivating over him. Listen to Zak's comments about his time at Fev here

so Rovers behaved honourably towards the Liions with their hundred quid.

You were in a senior post at Rovers when they sifned Paul Newlove from Travellers sants. Newlove had a brilliant career at Rovers, and he went to Bradord for a recotd fee(how that money was used is a topic for discussion in itself). When he joined Rovers from Travs he was regarded as a prodigy, what did Traves get form Rovers?
How hardaker enjoyed his tine at Rovers is immaterial, we are talking about the signing of amateur players for next to nothing and in this and other cases profirting hugely financially. Without Hardaker learning the game at Lions his talent would never have come to light. Do you think thids is moral, fair etc etc?
Keeping it local

#138 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

Rightly or wrongly I'm a bit worried about the Batley/Hudds partnership. I note that JK states he's excited having looked at the Giants squad and that he'll have some 'top liners' at his disposal. I do hope this arrangement is conducted in the way the system his intended. Huddersfield have been strangely no committal about what's in it for them

Edited by Terry Mullaney, 15 November 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#139 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,962 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:40 PM

leeds were playing him out of position. he was a fullback.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#140 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,893 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

leeds were playing him out of position. he was a fullback.

And full backs are not supposed to be able to pass????

Just a bit of fun O.R. take your point........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users