Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League considers relegation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach
  • 476 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

The 14 clubs discussed the competition structure during a two-day conference chaired by Rugby Football League's interim chairman Maurice Watkins in the Lake District this week.

The end-of-season summit was held at a time of growing support for the return of promotion and relegation between Super League and the Championship, which was abandoned in favour of a licensing system in 2008.

Any change would only be implemented after the current three-year licensing period expires in 2015 and it was decided to set up a working group to consider the merits.

No firm decisions were taken at the meeting, which was attended by members of the RFL executive, but chief executive Nigel Wood said the discussions were a "fruitful and positive" contribution to the ongoing policy review that he is leading.

"The over-riding consensus from the conference was that all the clubs share the desire to improve the performance of Super League as the sport's flagship competition," said Wood.

"I would like to thank the clubs for their openness in outlining what they feel are the biggest issues facing Super League and for their acceptance that the direction we take has to be in the best interests of the totality of the sport."

In addition to examining the competition structure, working parties were also established to determine policy for marketing, commercial and player development and performance.

"The creation of the working groups gives the clubs some control over and responsibility for the direction and performance of Super League which is entirely appropriate," added Wood.

Clubs were told that fixtures Super League XVIII will be out on Monday, November 19.

#2 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:42 PM

So nowt happening soon then. All talk but no action!

Posted Image

#3 abu

abu
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

Seems plenty of talk but all about the super league again. They don,t give a monkeys about the other leagues full stop.

#4 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

So nowt happening soon then. All talk but no action!

Nothin they can do at the moment, if they reintroduced P&R from now, and Widnes finish bottom again they'd kick up a right stink saying that they were granted a 3 year licence which hasnt been fullfilled, the RFL would have to go back on it and look fools

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#5 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

it will not come in until the 2015 season when the current licences run out

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#6 Flaming balls

Flaming balls
  • Coach