Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Im sure plenty of us were at this

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Some good memories here of our great home. There was fighting galore behind the Townsend Rd stand.
Stuart Wright doesnt have a very good afternoon for Widnes!

#2 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

I was there too, sold programmes from memory...... Hard game all round! Biggest memory however was after the game a group of Widnes fans shouting abuse at a Leeds coach and a load of Leeds fans getting off and giving them a kicking on Pendlebury Road....sorry sights! And no dog! You know what I mean Mark.

#3 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

I was there too, sold programmes from memory...... Hard game all round! Biggest memory however was after the game a group of Widnes fans shouting abuse at a Leeds coach and a load of Leeds fans getting off and giving them a kicking on Pendlebury Road....sorry sights! And no dog! You know what I mean Mark.

Do you think days like these influenced our future career choice Ian?
Did you sell programmes with Alan carline?

#4 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Mark, I think it probably did over a period of time, inevitable I suppose.

Alan Carline....I recall the name so maybe. Did that many different jobs there from programmes to turnstiles its hard to remember everyone.

Many, many happy days there as you know.

#5 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,912 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Mark, I think it probably did over a period of time, inevitable I suppose.

Alan Carline....I recall the name so maybe. Did that many different jobs there from programmes to turnstiles its hard to remember everyone.

Many, many happy days there as you know.

Alan stood outside folly club with his collie selling programmes foe years
Great bloke

You did loads of jobs I do remember mate. You always had a big smile on your face doing them too. Ha ha!

#6 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

That was me, cheery as owt lol.....now you mention the Collie I clearly remember him! Did a great job for years.

#7 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

I remember being at that match, I was sitting in the main stand that day as I didn't want to get mixed up in the shennanigans that happened between Widnes & Leeds fans. I remember most the "Bomb" (as it's called nowadays) hitting the crossbar, not post as that idiot French called it, and Widnes winning at the last minute.

At the end of the video you get the normal Youtube choices, and I clicked on the 1930 Test between England & Australia (I think), where the visitors were wearing lettered Jerseys, rather than numbered.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#8 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,708 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:54 PM

At the end of the video you get the normal Youtube choices, and I clicked on the 1930 Test between England & Australia (I think), where the visitors were wearing lettered Jerseys, rather than numbered.

Yes I clicked on this too. Did look quite odd with letters rather than numbers on the backs of the jerseys.
I was hoping to see some decent quality footage of that great Lion, Martin Hodgson in an England/GB match. Can anybody recomend a particular match (club, county or country) featuring Martin in his full glory? The best view I ever saw of him was a picture in a book showing some Aussies attacking with the ball and the only 'pom' in the shot is Martin coming across to nail the man with the ball looking, quite frankly, simply immense and fully focused. The caption below said ... "Britain's only representative is Martin Hodgson, but a formidable one."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users