Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

BBC Journalism: are we really in 2012?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Fosters?

He shoots, he scores.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#22 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Sad little chap by the looks of things.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#23 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

Just to be clear, that story was not a piece of journalism nor did it purport to be. It was a comment piece and was promoted on the site within the comment section. There is no requirement for impartiality because it is specifically written from a personal perspective. Just as the blogs and stories are that appear within the comment section of their rugby league site. Had Riley referred to union as the dark side I doubt there would have been any complaints.

#24 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Just to be clear, that story was not a piece of journalism nor did it purport to be. It was a comment piece and was promoted on the site within the comment section. There is no requirement for impartiality because it is specifically written from a personal perspective. Just as the blogs and stories are that appear within the comment section of their rugby league site. Had Riley referred to union as the dark side I doubt there would have been any complaints.

You are right. Certainly not journalism, but something akin to starting with 'j' and ending in 'ism'
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#25 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,004 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Personally I don't think it was a big deal and was just a throwaway remark.
But if the quoted twitter piece is genuine, he comes across as an arrogant tosser.

Edited by Johnoco, 11 November 2012 - 10:08 AM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#26 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Rubbish. Whilst not necessarily comparable, would the fact that it is an opinion piece excuse racism or a denial of the holocaust? No,so why should a supposedly neutral medium allow other offensive comments.

Personally I don't think it was a big deal and was just a throwaway remark.
But if the quoted twitter piece is genuine, he comes across as an arrogant tosser.

Assuming Ben Dirs on Twitter is who he says (and I'm sure he is) then it is genuine, because I'm the other correspondent - originally with my tongue a little in my cheek, until I got the first response.
People called Romans they go the house

#27 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,147 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

The same Ben Dirs was on twitter during the Grand Final telling his followers to watch it as it's games like that that make him feel league can be a better game than union.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,777 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

The same Ben Dirs was on twitter during the Grand Final telling his followers to watch it as it's games like that that make him feel league can be a better game than union.

"can be" ? :blink:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#29 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,147 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

His wording (from memory) not mine!
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#30 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Fosters?

;)

A Fev Blog

#31 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Total rubbish.

Edited by marklaspalmas, 11 November 2012 - 01:02 PM.

A Fev Blog

#32 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

Let's face the truth, not every game of League is Great, I've been to some really dull ones, where I've wondered about asking for my money back. (although they are still better than watching a pointless Union International friendly.)
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#33 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Rubbish. Whilst not necessarily comparable, would the fact that it is an opinion piece excuse racism or a denial of the holocaust? No,so why should a supposedly neutral medium allow other offensive comments.

Just to be clear, what are you going on about? Do you really feel as strongly about the use of the "the dark side" to refer to the other rugby code as about racism and holocaust denial?

That phrase is used in the same way in rugby league circles to refer to union all the time, would you really be so aghast if Riley had used it in one of his blogs about, for example, Joel Tomkins?

#34 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Have the BBC not realised he's a Tr*** with a name of 'Ben Dirs'??... :huh:
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#35 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

Just to be clear, what are you going on about? Do you really feel as strongly about the use of the "the dark side" to refer to the other rugby code as about racism and holocaust denial?

That phrase is used in the same way in rugby league circles to refer to union all the time, would you really be so aghast if Riley had used it in one of his blogs about, for example, Joel Tomkins?

Obviously not, as I said in my post. However, when writing on a publicly funded website, and dealing with offence and controversy, the easiest place to draw the line in terms of what is acceptable is at the start. If he was a decent writer, a bit of contextualising would have stopped any problems.

I'm feeling that you're getting a little hamstrung by your login name. Have you considered 'Just to be patronising and mostly wrong?
People called Romans they go the house

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users