Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Morty.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

It is official Morty has signed a one year deal to play in Australia. Good luck Ian and thanks for all your efforts.

#2 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Good luck morty . Lucky lad.

#3 iomlion

iomlion
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Really hope it works out, big move.

#4 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

Good luck Morty

Riggy

#5 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,801 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Goal-kicker supreme. 80%+ plus record success with the boot during his time with us.

I'd go as far as to say the best goal-kicker the club has had whilst I've been a fan.

Sorry to see him go, but good luck to a very nice guy.

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,482 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

I'd go as far as to say the best goal-kicker the club has had whilst I've been a fan.

So that's the entire history of the club, then. :lol:

Where's he off to ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

Good luck Ian Mort, made a big contribution to getting the Lions out of Championship One and a very worthy Player of the Season in 2011.

The benefit of having a quality goalkicker is often under-rated. There's no doubt he's amongst the best the club has had in recent years. You'd probably have to go back to Andy Rippon to find another with such accuracy. On his day a good finisher with ball in hand, too - that long range effort at the Willows being the pick. Had a much more patchy season in 2012, in and out of the side for the most part, but still signed off with one of the tackles of the season against Leigh at the LSV.

A case of "Over to you, Mr Ballard" for 2013 I guess.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#8 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Morty must rank alongside the likes of the legendary Bernard Ganley of Oldham from the late 1950s as a dead eyed place kicker. Very sorry to see his departure, but thanks Ian for your great contribution to the Lions.

#9 Blakemore

Blakemore
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

If ballard is our number 1 kicker next ear we will be in trouble as he was only barrows stand in kicker due to injury (was speaking to barrow fans at gf) I think birkett is the most likely kicker seen as the emphasise in the the 'kicking' part in the write up on lions website.

#10 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:19 PM

Andy Ballard is a very accomplished goalkicker so if he is going to be your regular kicker dont worry about him.

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#11 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

Best wishes Ian. For me one of the great goal kickers for our club.Ken Gowers will always rule supreme for me but Ian is up there. At 24 and his career in front of him cant think think of a better move.

#12 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

Just like to add that on the occasions I have spoken to Ian found him to be a really approachable and friendly guy

#13 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:42 AM

Good luck in oz Morty. Can only echo what people have already said in that hes the finest goal kicker ive seen at the club!

With a points record that's not likely to be beaten in a long time and some excellent tries scored at the willows I can only say I hope he comes back to us once hes back in GB!
Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users