• 5,985 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

http://www.smh.com.a...1110-294vr.html

#2 nec

nec
  • Coach
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Liverpool, west cumbria, Bristol even Cornwall might work given the name. God knows we need the investment
Rugby League is a sport that desperately needs to expand its geographical supporter base and its player base. This imperative means that all other requirements are secondary until this is done.

All power in the game should be with governing bodies, especially international governing bodies.

Without these actions we will remain a minor sport internationally and nationally.

#3 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Never going to happen They are 'looking for other options' in a bid to tell the NRL that they are fed up of waiting for them to make a decision.

#4 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 03:58 PM

The Southern Orcas also considered this when Gold Coast won the last expansion!

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 04:40 PM

The NRL are crazy. Now is the time for further expansion. They have more money than they know what to do with and they can't stomach expansion and a little more sharing of their good fortune. It will be too late in the AFL completely marginalise them. I feel for the Western Pirates and the other teams who have spent good money expecting to be considered for an expansion franchise only to have it put off for another 5 to 6 years. Absolutley crazy.

#6 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 289 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

I would love to have them play over here, but I can't see it happening.

On the flip side, I reckon a UK team in the NRL could be really interesting. Might enable us to keep some of our top players in the UK at least, and with a Virgin or Emirates sponsorship and all the home games in a single block maybe it wouldn't be too ridiculous. Personally I would go for either a Manchester or London NRL team instead of the rather disappointing Broncos and Reds.

I had better lie down.

#7 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:18 PM

The NRL are crazy. Now is the time for further expansion. They have more money than they know what to do with and they can't stomach expansion and a little more sharing of their good fortune. It will be too late in the AFL completely marginalise them. I feel for the Western Pirates and the other teams who have spent good money expecting to be considered for an expansion franchise only to have it put off for another 5 to 6 years. Absolutley crazy.

To me it's not the fact that there will be or won't be expansion that's most crazy - it's the fact that the NRL won't be making a decision for another three years. SO UNPROFESSIONAL.

West Coast Pirates have paying memberships, sponsorships and goodness knows what else and they can't keep this up forever. All these people want a decision to be made.

The NRL should grow a pair and either say there will be expansion this decade and then pick the two teams for entry in say 2015, 2016 or 2017. Or they should say no expansion this decade: and thus the bid teams can disband.

Edited by ShotgunGold, 10 November 2012 - 11:20 PM.

#8 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,743 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

How would this work? How would the West Coast Pirates be able to just base themselves in a British city but still satisfy their Perth fan base? It makes no sense to me.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users