RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

40 years ago today that GB won the World Cup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

It was 40 years ago that Great Britain won the World Cup. It was the last time we beat Australia in a Rugby League Test Series. It was the first black British captain to win a trophy. The only Welshman to lift a full footballing World Cup. And the most famous GB and Welsh try until Jonathan Davies in 1994.

Enjoy - and discuss.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,421 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:17 AM

And our last triumph had to be a draw!

Strange that the world cup final was the lowest crowd of the tournament (4,231). That is one of the my strongest memories of that game - the vast, empty stadium.

And Clive Sullivan's try, of course!

ps I'm not convinced that Aussie try was offside.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 dunno much

dunno much
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Go Stevo!!!

#4 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

That Aussie try was NOT offside!

Interestingly, when Clive Sullivan scores, he starts his great run by weaving around the Australian winger No 2 - who is none other than John Grant, now head of the Australian Rugby League Commission !

hopefully, as he's been to a RLWC, he'll help build it up in future years.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

Hate to labour the point but the crowd should serve as a reality check to the likes of Garry Schofield who are trashing this years internationals and claiming everything was brilliant as GB.

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hate to labour the point but the crowd should serve as a reality check to the likes of Garry Schofield who are trashing this years internationals and claiming everything was brilliant as GB.

The crowd was poor. But it was being played in France when RL there (and here for that matter) was in a decline. France were not taking part in the game and continental travel in those days was not as easy as it is today. It would probably have cost an arm and a leg to get to Lyons by air and it's a helluva long way by road.
To put it in perspective, I flew to Dortmund and back for the day in 2000, just before the advent of the cheap flight and it cost the best part of £500.

Edited by Trojan, 11 November 2012 - 02:55 PM.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#7 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yep - males me wonder how Clive wasn't considered as part of the statue at Wembley for his contribution to the game :\

Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

Yep - males me wonder how Clive wasn't considered as part of the statue at Wembley for his contribution to the game :\

Did he play at Wembley? I know he played in the CC replay at Elland Road because I was there. Did he perhaps play in the 1980 all Hull final? I must admit I don't remember him doing so.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#9 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,654 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

Did he play at Wembley? I know he played in the CC replay at Elland Road because I was there. Did he perhaps play in the 1980 all Hull final? I must admit I don't remember him doing so.

Yep - He played for HKR on that fateful day :unsure:
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#10 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,154 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

The crowd was poor. But it was being played in France when RL there (and here for that matter) was in a decline. France were not taking part in the game and continental travel in those days was not as easy as it is today. It would probably have cost an arm and a leg to get to Lyons by air and it's a helluva long way by road.
To put it in perspective, I flew to Dortmund and back for the day in 2000, just before the advent of the cheap flight and it cost the best part of £500.

I don't doubt there were reasons for the crowd but critics of the modern day game never acknowledge reasons why RL may struggle sometimes today, so why is it ok to make excuses about that? There wasn't many people flying to Mexico in 1970 but the Soccer WC was still full.

I aren't having a go at you here and don't want to sound like I am but the fact is there was no golden age when RL was huge and had all the nation watching - something that modern day bashers like to portray. I wish the stadium had been bursting at the seams but it wasn't and critics of everything today need to realise that the game has always had its problems.

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,180 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

That Aussie try was NOT offside!

True, but there was a clear obstruction in the run up to the first try that would probably have caused that one to be chalked off in the modern video era. Unless it was an Aussie video ref, obviously. :rolleyes:
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users