Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Lions History

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Do we know when the "and Ireland" part was added?
And was it "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" in the past? When did the team first include any (actual) Irishmen?
Posted Image

#22 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,145 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Pretty much only Carney AFAIK. Never have been & NI.

#23 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,495 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

Do we know when the "and Ireland" part was added?
And was it "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" in the past? When did the team first include any (actual) Irishmen?

Without checking, I thought "and Ireland" was added purely to incorporate Brian Carney (and dropped pretty quickly after he'd departed). The "four nation" badge, showing emblems of E, W, S & I, was added to the shirt (and added to the shirts of the individual nations IIRC - one of the Scotland shirts I have certainly had the badge on).

The whole 're-branding' had an amateurish air about it, as though it had been a task given to the office junior at RFL HQ. You can bet your life none of the 'devolved' governing bodies were consulted about the rebranding: the shirt wasn't redesigned to include a three colour vee, making it representative of all four nations; you can bet your life no one in Ireland was consulted about whether the title "British Isles XIII" was acceptable; and I'm sure the anthem played at games wasn't given a thought.

The impermanence of it all was confirmed when any pretence of it being Ireland's team disappeared.

As far as I know the team has never been called "Great Britain and Northern Ireland", but I've always put that down to the general ignorance about constitutional matters (mentioning no names, GJ :D ), ie GB = UK.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#24 Henson Park Old Firm

Henson Park Old Firm
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:55 PM

If the lions where ever going to come back I would like to see the jesery have the lions embelem with old verion of the GB logo as well (looks good)
http://www.gettyimag...photo/114215291

#25 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

Without checking, I thought "and Ireland" was added purely to incorporate Brian Carney (and dropped pretty quickly after he'd departed). The "four nation" badge, showing emblems of E, W, S & I, was added to the shirt (and added to the shirts of the individual nations IIRC - one of the Scotland shirts I have certainly had the badge on).

The whole 're-branding' had an amateurish air about it, as though it had been a task given to the office junior at RFL HQ. You can bet your life none of the 'devolved' governing bodies were consulted about the rebranding: the shirt wasn't redesigned to include a three colour vee, making it representative of all four nations; you can bet your life no one in Ireland was consulted about whether the title "British Isles XIII" was acceptable; and I'm sure the anthem played at games wasn't given a thought.

The impermanence of it all was confirmed when any pretence of it being Ireland's team disappeared.

I know the home nations shield was added in 1999 (there was actually no lion's head on it that year). That was before Carney's time. The 1999 shirt also had a green trim on the colour and sleeves IIRC. Just wondering why they made this decision when they did.

As far as I know the team has never been called "Great Britain and Northern Ireland", but I've always put that down to the general ignorance about constitutional matters (mentioning no names, GJ :D ), ie GB = UK.

Part of what I'm getting at here.
GB as a title (let alone GB&I) is wrong as neither are a country! (And Ireland!). I'm surprised they weren't call Team UK at the Olympics as well!

I guess it all stems from the fact that we are "British" citizens still (even in NI!), and not something like "Kingdomians" or something like that to be more inclusive of the Northern Irish!
Posted Image

#26 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,959 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:10 AM

I'm surprised they weren't call Team UK at the Olympics as well!

Would have been as inaccurate as Team GB.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#27 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Would have been as inaccurate as Team GB.

Why?
Posted Image

#28 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,959 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:33 PM

Why?

Because the team represents other territories including the Falklands and Gibraltar that aren't part of the UK.
- Severus, July 2012

#29 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Because the team represents other territories including the Falklands and Gibraltar that aren't part of the UK.

But are UK territories, no?
Posted Image

#30 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

Falklands and Gibraltar are, but Isle of Man and Channel islands aren't (they're Crown Dependancies).

#31 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,959 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

British Overseas Territories, I believe. Some of which - British Virgin Islands for example - enter the Olympics as their own entities.
- Severus, July 2012

#32 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

British Overseas Territories, I believe.

British is to UK as English is to England these days. For the politically correct world we live in, I don't agree with it but there you go!

The British Overseas Territories are under the jurisdiction of the UK.

Some of which - British Virgin Islands for example - enter the Olympics as their own entities.

That's the inconsistencies of the Olympics for you I guess! The Irish Olympic team isn't just for ROI is it? So people from NI can represent Team GB as well as Ireland.
Posted Image

#33 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

If the lions where ever going to come back I would like to see the jesery have the lions embelem with old verion of the GB logo as well (looks good)
http://www.gettyimag...photo/114215291

Sorry Henson - thats far too sensible for the RFL to use

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users