TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Good on Prince Charles

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#1 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 12:58 PM

http://www.dailytele...r-1226514054309

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,749 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:20 PM

Why good on him?

What did he do out of the ordinary?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

Why good on him?

What did he do out of the ordinary?

Him going there got Rugby League positive publicity.

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

And was that his decision ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,072 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

And was that his decision ?

Not sure , but it was on the national news in Australia and Rugby League was seen in a postive light is my point.

#6 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,122 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

Good stuff although futtocks put the link up yesterday under "national stereotyping" (I think it was).

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#7 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 03:37 PM

Good to see the royals visiting the colonies and their subjects is Australia. Long live the empire!

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Good to see the royals visiting the colonies and their subjects is Australia. Long live the empire!

The Aussies chose to keep Queenie as boss lady, by voting in favour of doing so I believe.

And besides, we need to keep a close eye on the convicts.

Edited by Saintslass, 11 November 2012 - 04:17 PM.

#9 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:21 PM

As he is now aware of what Rugby League is, perhaps now is the time for the RFL to contact Prince Charles to invite him to present the World Cup trophy next year.

Maybe an invite to his two sons to attend the opener at the Millenium is worth a thought as well.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#10 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

The Aussies chose to keep Queenie as boss lady, by voting in favour of doing so I believe.

And besides, we need to keep a close eye on the convicts.

The Aussies only voted for Queenie as boss because he alternative system that was proposed would have ment they still didn't get to vote on head of state/presedent ,instead only those the people elected would have then in turn elected a head of state ,so they thought safer the current way at least they still got to vote for top man/lady

#11 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

The Aussies only voted for Queenie as boss because he alternative system that was proposed would have ment they still didn't get to vote on head of state/presedent ,instead only those the people elected would have then in turn elected a head of state ,so they thought safer the current way at least they still got to vote for top man/lady

And yet, and yet ... in poll after poll in the dear old antipodean colony, the people keep on saying yes to Queenie being boss lady. It frustrates the hell out of the present PM.

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,456 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

And yet, and yet ... in poll after poll in the dear old antipodean colony, the people keep on saying yes to Queenie being boss lady. It frustrates the hell out of the present PM.

They've been asked once, in a very bizarre referendum.

Julia Gillard has said she isn't in favour of a republic until the current monarch shuffles off this mortal.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,749 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:46 PM

Him going there got Rugby League positive publicity.

Oh yeah I forgot, RL is really low key in Australia.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,574 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:57 PM

As he is now aware of what Rugby League is, perhaps now is the time for the RFL to contact Prince Charles to invite him to present the World Cup trophy next year.

Maybe an invite to his two sons to attend the opener at the Millenium is worth a thought as well.

No thanks. Why invite these people who have no real interest or connection with the game? Personally I would rather it be given by a former winning captain or a legend like Ellery Hanley.

#15 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 5,055 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:13 PM

No thanks. Why invite these people who have no real interest or connection with the game? Personally I would rather it be given by a former winning captain or a legend like Ellery Hanley.

For the publicity, perhaps? We get precious little as it stands.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#16 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 664 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:08 PM

For the publicity, perhaps? We get precious little as it stands.

My feelings exactly. I am no royalist, but public perception would be that it must be a big occasion if royalty are in attendance.

I would agree that as many ex-international players as possible should be involved in the World Cup in some way as possible.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#17 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Julia Gillard has said she isn't in favour of a republic until the current monarch shuffles off this mortal.

She's as republican as they come. She just knows that the public mood isn't in her favour at present. If Wills were to become the next monarch, I doubt it would be then either.

#18 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

Why invite these people who have no real interest or connection with the game?

Firstly, how do you know they don't have an interest in the game? Have you personally asked them about it?

Secondly, having one of the sons would be a coup. Either would do although Wills would be preferable, since he is heir to the throne. That would bring automatic kudos and recognition to our sport, and the media would perk up and be interested, which is exactly what we need.

I do hope the RFL have bagged one of the sons. They certainly should be aiming to do so.

#19 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Oh yeah I forgot, RL is really low key in Australia.

Quite. It was Charles who was after the decent publicity.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 10:40 PM

I can't imagine why people presume that the royals wouldn't have been invited to the RLWC.

Just because they are invited doesn't mean that they will attend.