- - - - -

The value of a good goalkicker

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 06:52 PM

Sinfield dosent " boot " the ball he flights it between the sticks.Best goalkicker since Frano Botica mind you Barry Eaton wasnt bad...
Posted Image

#2 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 07:00 PM

also invaluable on a -38 hcap...
Posted Image

#3 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:03 AM

Like Sinfield , Barry Eaton is/was a great goalkicker, so why has Hunslet not had one in the last 10 years at least.
Well It's never been our priority, but think how many games in that time we would have won with a half decent goalkicker.

#4 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Somebody tell me please why BARRY EATON couldn't find or coach us a good goalkicker last season.--- I know Aaron Dobeck was going to be first choice until he got injured.---a total of 36 goals last season at a average of 1.89 per game just isn't good enough.
We have had good goalkickers in the recent past--- in season 2010 we kicked 144 goals at a average of 5.14 per game with contributions from Danny Grimshaw, Richard Knight, Wayne McHugh, David March, Darren Robinson, and Tom Sheldrake.--- somebody please tell me who's going to kick the goals this season ?

#5 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Somebody tell me please why BARRY EATON couldn't find or coach us a good goalkicker last season.--- I know Aaron Dobeck was going to be first choice until he got injured.---a total of 36 goals last season at a average of 1.89 per game just isn't good enough.
We have had good goalkickers in the recent past--- in season 2010 we kicked 144 goals at a average of 5.14 per game with contributions from Danny Grimshaw, Richard Knight, Wayne McHugh, David March, Darren Robinson, and Tom Sheldrake.--- somebody please tell me who's going to kick the goals this season ?

David March

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#6 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

By his own admission Marchy would probably tell you he aint a decent goalkicker gaz, hes even had a toe operation hasnt he!In the no doubt numerous tight matches there will be this season on that pitch having a half decent kicker is like finding gold., the last kicker i was confident of converting from anywhere but bang in front was Richard Knight who could slot them from half way and either touchline, Robbo was a close second.Hope im wrong but this could cost us big time this season.
Posted Image

#7 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Wasnt Marchy the goalkicker for Wakefield in superleague at one point? As far as i i was aware Marchy has always been a good goalkicker, he has never taken on the goalkicking duties at Hunslet because of his toe, Now hes had his operation, i think he will step up.

But i totally agree whoever is doing the goalkicking duties needs to be able to do the job, we have lost so many matches due to not kicking our conversions.

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

#8 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

One thing about Blackpool is that he is always optomistic.
If we could find a scrum half who is also a goalkicker that would solve two of our problems. we don't know who the 4 Rhinos who are coming are-- Simon Ward would do for me but I can't see the Rhinos letting him come.
One thing I would like to ask about these 4 players is--- if Leeds or the player receive a good offer from another Super League club, or a club in the Championship would they be allowed to go ? --- we know what happened with Kyle Briggs-- three games in the spotlight wearing our colours then along came Ellery Hanley and Doncaster and off he went.

#9 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Always :)

A quality scrum half who is a quality goal-kicker, loads of them available Frisky.

Dont know who Simon Ward is?

The Players are on loan to us, if another club comes in and wants to buy them off the club that the player is contracted to, then its that clubs decision if they want to sell or not.

Edited by Blackpool Hawk, 12 November 2012 - 10:30 AM.

#10 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Regarding a quality goalkicking scrum
Half did we get any feedback from the ad placed in the Aussie press?
Posted Image

#11 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

Who was the lad who played scrum half in the c.final ?-- thats the one I was thinking of.

#12 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Who was the lad who played scrum half in the c.final ?-- thats the one I was thinking of.

Ah, Stevie Ward, i think he will be in Leeds first team plans in 2013 but things could change.

#13 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

weve no chance of stevie ward hes the next heir apparant to take over from maguire/sinfield.Dylan Skee would have been my choice but beleive hes signed on at London Skolars again.
Posted Image

#14 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Are we saying then that the Rhinos will only let us have players who they consider not to be good enough for their first team squad ?-- if that's the case do we really want them ?
Ward and LH could keep themselves match fit playing with us as did Elliott Kerr from the Crusaders.

#15 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Are we saying then that the Rhinos will only let us have players who they consider not to be good enough for their first team squad ?-- if that's the case do we really want them ?
Ward and LH could keep themselves match fit playing with us as did Elliott Kerr from the Crusaders.

If a player is currently considered good enough for Leeds first 17 he will be in their 17 wont he? :blink:

#16 Blackpool Hawk

Blackpool Hawk
  • Coach
  • 5,473 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

weve no chance of stevie ward hes the next heir apparant to take over from maguire/sinfield.Dylan Skee would have been my choice but beleive hes signed on at London Skolars again.

We would have more chance of getting Simon Ward a the minute :D

#17 number9

number9
  • Coach
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:35 PM

By his own admission Marchy would probably tell you he aint a decent goalkicker gaz, hes even had a toe operation hasnt he!In the no doubt numerous tight matches there will be this season on that pitch having a half decent kicker is like finding gold., the last kicker i was confident of converting from anywhere but bang in front was Richard Knight who could slot them from half way and either touchline, Robbo was a close second.Hope im wrong but this could cost us big time this season.

Agreed about Knighty the only problem he had was he had an heart like a pea, when it came to every other part of the game.

Dave March was the first choice kicker a couple of years back I remember his weird run up he had.

#18 FRISKY FILLY

FRISKY FILLY
  • Coach
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

Apologies to Danny Ratcliffe for not including him in this debate.
I am hoping that he comes through his operation ok, gets back to match fitness and is in our squad for 2013.
For information, players in our 2013 squad and the number of goals kicked for us are-- Danny Grimshaw 3-- Luke Helliwell 7-- David March 71 -- and hopefully Danny Ratcliffe 48.

#19 Penola

Penola
  • 606 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Maybe Keith Senior will kick next season when he signs for us
;)

#20 rodleydragons

rodleydragons
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

thought we were chasing a scrum half /goalkicker.seem to remember reading that in another posting somewhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users