Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

You'll love moaning about these

RLWC Mascots

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#61 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

The heritage ball looks class!
Posted Image

boy do I want one of these.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#62 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,134 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

The heritage ball looks class!
Posted Image

£59.99, leather too.

http://www.lovell-ru...lica-Rugby-Ball

edit: 200 available.

Edited by hindle xiii, 15 November 2012 - 09:07 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#63 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

All 14 supporters balls here:
http://www.steeden.c...C Country Balls

The sizes available are listed as '5' and 'Midi', which doesn't tell me much.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#64 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

The sizes available are listed as '5' and 'Midi', which doesn't tell me much.

5 is the standard playing size, and Midi means mini.
Posted Image

#65 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

The PNG midi ball is out of stock.

I am bereft.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#66 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

5 is the standard playing size, and Midi means mini.

I thought midi was size 4 (9-11 year olds) and mini was size 3 (younger than 8)?
Posted Image

#67 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

I thought midi was size 4 (9-11 year olds) and mini was size 3 (younger than 8)?

Probably aye.
Posted Image

#68 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:44 AM

Actually, I just noticed some of the balls (England, NZ, Australia) have an extra size, hence the wider price range.

Edited by Futtocks, 15 November 2012 - 11:44 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#69 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Nice set of balls, that.

I must admit, Steed didn't seem cryptic to me - it's a good name.

I personally thought it cryptic as I'd never heard of "Steeden" until they were mentioned on this thread.

Unlike some on here I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of sports ball manufacturers.

Or any knowledge if it comes to it.

Edited by Black Country Wire, 15 November 2012 - 12:19 PM.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#70 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

I personally thought it cryptic as I'd never heard of "Steeden" until they were mentioned on this thread.

I'm afraid you've just outed yourself as not a True Fan.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#71 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:16 PM

Steed's all very well, but I'd prefer Emma Peel.

#72 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,250 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Unlike some on here I don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of sports ball manufacturers.

That's mad!

You've really never noticed that we've been playing with Rugby Balls with Steeden written across them for a good few years now?

I don't think you need an encyclopedic knowledge of ball manufacturers to know about Steeden!

#73 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,726 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Steed's all very well, but I'd prefer Emma Peel.

always a cathy gale man myself
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#74 M j M

M j M
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

A good mascot can go a long way towards creating a great tournament experience for spectators. I will never forget, for example, going to the Ice Hockey World Championships in Germany and seeing a giant blue dinosaur dancing with the cheerleaders. Whenever he performed acrobatics or interacted with the fans, it seemed to lift an already cracking atmosphere up a further notch.

Random World Cup dinosaurs are so passe.

Posted Image

#75 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,052 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

Talking of mascots, Berlino the Bear had a longer shelf life than most. Created for the World Athletics Championship in Berlin, this hyperactive attention-seeker managed to drop an athlete he was carrying piggyback-style on her victory lap, and I saw him at at least two more sporting events in Germany over the next year or so.
Posted Image

On the other hand, there was Footix (1998 FIFA World Cup) - the Steve Brookstein of mascots. He made a fleeting appearance at the draw, then was rarely if ever seen again. I believe the 'thespian' inside the suit tried to sue the French FA.

#76 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,146 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:30 PM

Random World Cup dinosaurs are so passe.

Posted Image

That ball was launched during the 2000 WC wasn't it? And before anyone says it, not launched as in booted.

#77 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,953 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

You've never noticed that we've played with a Steeden ball in most (if not all) professional RL games since about 2005?!
Posted Image

#78 Mushy

Mushy
  • Coach
  • 301 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

I actually quite liked Bluke Tryscorer, but never actually saw him or a replica through the whole tournament. Then again I actually liked Wenlock and Mandeville too although they ended up barely being around.

Best mascot at a major games for me was Mishka the bear for Moscow 1980.

Most terrifying mascots are those for the upcoming Sochi Winter Olympics.

Most fun recent mascot was the bear at the Athletics World Champs in Berlin - now he was doing a bit of a boogie and everybody loved him.

Worst bear mascot was Oldham in 1996. I remember thinking Super League was doomed at the time when a televised game at Watershedings featured a dog on the pitch being chased off by the bear mascot who looked more drunken tramp than kids entertainer. Happy days.

#79 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 858 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

The major problem though (and possibly the biggest problem for the entire tournament) is how Steed will be represented?

There are three options:

Number 1: He can be a man in a suit like Grubber. However due to his size the two of them together would look ridiculous as it wouldn't look realistic.

Number 2: He can be a midget in a suit. Still this might raise problems over the respective sizes of Steed and Grubber because even if you got a 7 foot man to be Grubber and the smallest midget in Britain to be Steed than they still might not be the right sizes.

Number 3 - Steed will look like Wilson. But do we really need another Wilson?
Posted Image

CLEARLY the RFL have not thought this through.

CLEARLY I also need to actually do something with my life..... :(

#80 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,250 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

And we are worrying that a large bear with a ball may not look realistic? I'm not convinced that is the main objective of a mascot!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users