Photo
- - - - -

England U18 24-30 Wales U18

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

ENGLAND 24 WALES 30

http://www.walesrugb...-18-24-wales-30

WALES are leading the way in the UK at the Under-18 age group as they turned on the style to beat England at Leigh Miners ground on Saturday (November 10).

And the pleasing thing is that the victory could have been even more comprehensive had the Welsh lads not taken their foot off the gas in the last ten minutes to hand England a couple of late tries.

But that is being a bit hyper-critical as Wales contended with the loss of two big players through injury during the game to put in super-human performances.

Osian Phillips suffered a hip injury which put him on the sidelines, while Jordan Sheridan went off for the rest of the match with a knee problem.

It meant Wales played for an hour against tough opposition with just 15 players to rotate, which earned the praise of head coach Barry Eaton.

He said: "It was a good win in difficult conditions because there was a lot of rain at Leigh and the pitch was heavy.

"This was always going to be a step up in intensity from the win over Scotland last week We have some good ball-players in the team and credit to the boys they got stuck in."

Connor Farrer was a try-scoring star as he went over for a hat-trick of touchdowns, while skipper Courtney Davies had another excellent day with the boot both thorugh the posts and positionally around the field.

England were 14-6 up at one stage before the break and went into the interval 14-12 in front after Farrer scored.

But then Wales pressurised and, as with Scotland last week, another mid-half spell of pressure sent them into the lead.

Jason Blackmore had a fantastic run to send over Davies for the try that took Wales into an 18-14 lead.

And, from there, they never looked back as Davies complete his hat-trick and Blackmore got a try of his own before Wales saw their 16-point advantage chipped away in the closing minutes although they kept their composure to win.

Blackmore, Farrer and Rhys Pugsley all put in outstanding work during the afternoon along with the tactial play of Davies, but the entire team contributed to a brilliant win that sets Wales up for a huge clash at The Gnoll on November 28 when they play the Australian Institute of Sport.

Eaton added: "These three games were always going to be steps up as we started against Scotland, then played England and now have a go at the Australians.

"But if we can put in two good 40 minute halves of rugby we can cause them problems in a few weeks."

#2 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Good to hear, I do think this is good news.

Hope they progress, England needs competition

#3 once a ref always a ref

once a ref always a ref
  • 7,031 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

Is that a typical Welsh match report, no mention of an English player?
I don't believe in reincarnation but I did in a previous life

#4 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 863 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:32 AM

Q: Do the Super League clubs send any scouts to these games??

#5 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

I don't know about all the Welsh lads, but I'm pretty sure that Pugsley in on Wigan's books.

#6 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

I don't know about all the Welsh lads, but I'm pretty sure that Pugsley in on Wigan's books.

Blackmore is at Widnes.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#7 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:59 AM

ENGLAND 24 WALES 30

http://www.walesrugb...-18-24-wales-30

How can this be? I've seen comments elsewhere on this forum on how the Welsh will never beat England and how a GB side is pointless because it'll just be England wearing a different shirt.

Well done Wales and keep the development going.
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#8 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I'd say so. The RFL have organised for such as Wigan and I think Widnes to keep an eye on Wales Junior RL and provide the chances for the best lads in Wales to gravitate to the relevant academies.

This success probably underlines why the RFL bust a gut to try to get a professional club going in south Wales, one that could go on to help underpin this development and look towards a senior international side that could compete better than what we have sadly seen on the Beeb very recently.

Sadly the money just wan't there. Sadly so called RL fans gave the whole thing massive stick.

I'm told RL will never be strong anywhere but along the M62, this result may prove it's not even strong there.....

#9 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

COME ON WALES. Now for Australia.

#10 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

COME ON WALES. Now for Australia.

How's the junior game going down there Jack, has it been affected by Celtic Crusaders collapse??

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,545 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

How can this be? I've seen comments elsewhere on this forum on how the Welsh will never beat England and how a GB side is pointless because it'll just be England wearing a different shirt.

Well done Wales and keep the development going.

Er, no. A GB side containing lads like these would actually be a GB team. AT PRESENT, we don't have them but that hopefully will change in time.

#12 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Is he related to the Pugsley who played for Leigh Miners ?
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,243 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

great result for wales, since crusaders first dallience with the pro game, rl has really begun to take off all over the principality and looks like it is getting stronger by the year. hopefully the next time that a welsh club is promoted to super league there will be no leighton maxwell style chancers behind the bid. i have said for many years that the rfl should concentrate on wales as a development and expansion area and it is hopefully beginning to bear fruit.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Great result for wales, since crusaders first dallience with the pro game, rl has really begun to take off all over the principality and looks like it is getting stronger by the year. hopefully the next time that a welsh club is promoted to super league there will be no leighton maxwell style chancers behind the bid.

Then who should be behind the bid?? Father Christmas??

And in retrospect do you say that Celtic Crusaders should never have been given a Superleague place??

#15 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,995 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

Q: A yw clybiau Super League yn anfon unrhyw sgowtiaid i'r gemau hyn??
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#16 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:53 PM

Is that a typical Welsh match report, no mention of an English player?

Im afraid so England RL have not even bothered to put it on their site

#17 DugSWRLgan

DugSWRLgan
  • Coach
  • 397 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

This was the Welsh Side that played England 14 of the 18 coming from the South Wales Scorpions Academy, Wigan looking after these lads I gather! :)

WALES (v England. Saturday November 10. Leigh Miners RLFC): Jacob Morgan, Jack McKenzie, Jordan Howells, Chris Leyshon, Alex Jones (all South Wales Scorpions), Jordan Sheridan (Conwy Celts), Courtney Davies CAPT, Osian Phillips, Connor Farrer (all South Wales Scorpions), Rhys Pugsley (Wigan Warriors), Kylum Austin, TJ Collin, Rhys Anderson, Levi Quirke Knowles (all South Wales Scorpions), Jason Blackmore (Widnes Vikings), Rhys Fitzgerald, Jack Condy (all South Wales Scorpions). 18th man - Luke Kell (South Wales Scorpions).

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,721 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

This was the Welsh Side that played England 14 of the 18 coming from the South Wales Scorpions Academy, Wigan looking after these lads I gather! :)

WALES (v England. Saturday November 10. Leigh Miners RLFC): Jacob Morgan, Jack McKenzie, Jordan Howells, Chris Leyshon, Alex Jones (all South Wales Scorpions), Jordan Sheridan (Conwy Celts), Courtney Davies CAPT, Osian Phillips, Connor Farrer (all South Wales Scorpions), Rhys Pugsley (Wigan Warriors), Kylum Austin, TJ Collin, Rhys Anderson, Levi Quirke Knowles (all South Wales Scorpions), Jason Blackmore (Widnes Vikings), Rhys Fitzgerald, Jack Condy (all South Wales Scorpions). 18th man - Luke Kell (South Wales Scorpions).

How come a club side beat an International side?

Edited by The Parksider, 12 November 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#19 Swansea Jack

Swansea Jack
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

How's the junior game going down there Jack, has it been affected by Celtic Crusaders collapse??

I used to watch the under 18,s at Maesteg a few years ago and was impressed by Rhodri Lloyd was is now with Wigan. And here are others who have caught the eye of Super League clubs. The youngsters then moved to Caerphilly and I did not follow, So I now only know what I read on the forums. But I hope to go to Neath to watch the Australians.
South Wales Scorpions, who I support and watch regularly ,blooded a number of youngsters towards the end of the season and showed promise. Whilst Rugby league in Wales, and in England, always fails in support in comparison to Union, I think the youngsters are beginning to take a liking to our game. Why Union attracts more support than League never ceases tp amaze me.

#20 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

Anyone know the england side?