Get the League Express Yearbook 2013/14, The Forbidden Game, All Blacks to All Golds and many more great Rugby League books at knock down prices in our Easter Sale on now at www.totalrl.com/shop but hurry, all offers end Sunday 27th April.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Reserves

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

I heard a rumour yesterday, that we will not now be running a reserve team. I find this if correct very disappointing indeed.

#2 roughyed

roughyed
  • Coach
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

If this is true then it's purely money,it costs money to run a reserve team and they don't have any,and no chance in the future of getting any.The lame excuse that was put out about ground improvements and if this is true all add up to one thing the club has nothing and unless a benefactor comes along it will be a long hard season.

#3 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

I heard a rumour yesterday, that we will not now be running a reserve team. I find this if correct very disappointing indeed.

I agree it is disappointing and ideally it would be great to continue with a reserve team. However, its clear that all our resources need to go into getting out of this division and have to be spent on both on the ground and first team.

We should have done this last year in my opinion......as long as we don't become some other clubs reserve team, it makes sense to me.

Edited by sheddings69, 12 November 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#4 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

Yes Sheddings 69, I think the reasons for doing this, we can all see. But I believe we had started a good conveyor belt to move talent along to the 1st team at Oldham. With the SL clubs dropping their under 20's, I think there is a great opportunity to establish a very strong platform for talent from near and far to go through.

#5 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Yes Sheddings 69, I think the reasons for doing this, we can all see. But I believe we had started a good conveyor belt to move talent along to the 1st team at Oldham. With the SL clubs dropping their under 20's, I think there is a great opportunity to establish a very strong platform for talent from near and far to go through.

I agree in an ideal world

#6 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 232 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Agree with this. We should have done this last season, in my opinion. One of the criteria for promotion should have been having youth teams below first team level, but it wasn't and still isn't, so let's play to the rules in place, not what we would like to see. Interesting that none of last season's 4 promoted clubs ran youth teams, and appear to have invested some of the money saved in quality players, some in the crucial half back positions, which is where I think we still need strengthening, particularly if Ratty moves to loose forward.

By the way, according to my season ticket renewal blurb, we are running an under 18s team.

Edited by RunItOffAfi, 12 November 2012 - 04:03 PM.

#7 donquixote

donquixote
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

As much as anything if this rumour is true the difficulty at U23 is that there is no opposition to play.

Incidentally CH is dead keen to hook up with a SL team and was bitterly disappointed that Hornets rather than Oldham got the link with St. Helens. Watch this space as they say.

#8 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 07:54 PM

As much as anything if this rumour is true the difficulty at U23 is that there is no opposition to play.

Incidentally CH is dead keen to hook up with a SL team and was bitterly disappointed that Hornets rather than Oldham got the link with St. Helens. Watch this space as they say.

If he does, that's it for me I'm afraid

#9 beacs

beacs
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

Bit behind with this one Gents and Ladies , Ashy announced on Social Media over a week ago that we will not be having a reserve side next season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users