Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

They fought and died for our freedom

• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

So we should honour them by arresting people who put up pictures we don't like.

http://www.mirror.co...n-image-1431945

Poppy fascism gets worse each year.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Obviously, the bloke shouldn't have been arrested. I hope they limit his punishment to making attend next year's Remembrance Day ceremony in his home town.

Once again it was a deeply impressive and moving ceremony in Bradford City Centre yesterday.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,279 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Obviously, the bloke shouldn't have been arrested. I hope they limit his punishment to making attend next year's Remembrance Day ceremony in his home town.

Once again it was a deeply impressive and moving ceremony in Bradford City Centre yesterday.

forcing someone to attend a rememberence day ceremony is against the spirit of the occassion, and inappropriate IMHO. The person has a right to express dissent.
11.11 means a lot to me personally. I pause and think about the sacrifice made by those who have experienced war and its obsceniyt, especially members of my family, who experienced all kinds of horrors and lived with them for the rest of their lives. I buy a poppy, but invariably lose it after a couple of days and don't buy another since I don't feel the need to be seen wearing one.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

No point getting upset by this man burning a poppy, the symbol and occasion means so much more.

I attended the ceremony in Poulton-le-Fylde yesterday. Moving and impeccably observed.
Fides invicta triumphat

#5 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:08 AM

the symbol and occasion means so much more.

This, written last year, sums up my feelings on what it has become http://alt.adriansho...ng-remembrance/
- Severus, July 2012

#6 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,875 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

I'd love to know this lads motivation for doing it regardless of whether you agree or not.
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#7 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

This, written last year, sums up my feelings on what it has become http://alt.adriansho...ng-remembrance/

I think that piece goes overboard about the different ways people choose to wear a poppy. To start with, no one should fell pressurised into donating or wearing a poppy. That is not what those men and women died for. If someone chooses to wear a tie pin as opposed to a paper poppy then what is the problem? I also like the way the symbol has become incorporated into the England RL (and RU) jerseys for this weekends international fixtures.

The Royal British Legion is another issue and I agree that it seems they have lost a certain amount of dignity in their pursuit of funds (as have many charities). I made a donation via their website a couple of years ago. Since then I have received a huge amount of mail on a monthly basis asking for more donations. I wonder how much all of that costs? I am fed up with the countless different charities advertising on television, in national publications and accosting you on the street.
Fides invicta triumphat

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

I think that piece goes overboard about the different ways people choose to wear a poppy. To start with, no one should fell pressurised into donating or wearing a poppy. That is not what those men and women died for. If someone chooses to wear a tie pin as opposed to a paper poppy then what is the problem? I also like the way the symbol has become incorporated into the England RL (and RU) jerseys for this weekends international fixtures.

The Royal British Legion is another issue and I agree that it seems they have lost a certain amount of dignity in their pursuit of funds (as have many charities). I made a donation via their website a couple of years ago. Since then I have received a huge amount of mail on a monthly basis asking for more donations. I wonder how much all of that costs? I am fed up with the countless different charities advertising on television, in national publications and accosting you on the street.

Couple of issues there.

On a personal level I find the sewing of poppies onto sports jerseys, boots etc to be ridiculous. What showed greater respect on Sunday: the Last Post and silence before the game (I got dust in my eye) or that some players wearing poppies squared up for a partial bit of biff? That said, I wouldn't stop anybody having a poppy on their shirt if they wanted to ... but are they going to allow a red ribbon for World Aids Day if a player wants it? But I do think the ubiquity of the poppy diminishes its power. Seeing it stuck on the front of the Duck Bus (http://www.flickr.co...don/4105491788/) is fetishisation, not remembrance. What it represents becomes dulled.

The Royal British Legion spends £25m on raising money every year; they raise £136.1m. If they didn't advertise or badger people they wouldn't come close to that latter figure. Such is life.
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

The way I see it, is that if the most someone can do is moan about whether they wear a poppy or not, then they have a pretty easy life.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

The way I see it, is that if the most someone can do is moan about whether they wear a poppy or not, then they have a pretty easy life.

So we should make people's lives a bit tougher by arresting them?
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

People fought and died so that we can set fire to poppies if we choose.

In the film The American President there's a speech which seems relevant..

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've got to want it bad because it's going to put up a fight. It's going to say "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing centre stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you had spent a lifetime opposing at the top of yours. You want to claim this land as a land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one if its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that. Defend that. Celebrate that in your classrooms. Then you can stand up and sing about the land of the free.

That's me.  I'm done.

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

So we should make people's lives a bit tougher by arresting them?

Not at all. Buy a poppy, don't buy a poppy...see who cares.

Just shut the eff up about it.

#13 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

Seeing it stuck on the front of the Duck Bus (http://www.flickr.co...don/4105491788/) is fetishisation, not remembrance. What it represents becomes dulled.

That's pretty crass. But is it as crass as a man solemnly laying a wreath of remembrance just days after boasting of his success in selling arms to a theocratic dictatorship in the World's most sensitive and dangerous region?

That's me.  I'm done.

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

In theory, yes ....possibly. But it's bloody disrespectful, there are many other ways of protesting than being the equivalent of a shock jock.

#15 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:00 PM

In the film The American President there's a speech which seems relevant..

+1
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

That's pretty crass. But is it as crass as a man solemnly laying a wreath of remembrance just days after boasting of his success in selling arms to a theocratic dictatorship in the World's most sensitive and dangerous region?

Your point is well made.

As is your use of The American President. Still the greatest political speech never actually delivered.
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Interesting piece - another view from Ian McGregor, Chief Executive of PoppyScotland (as the Earl Haig Fund is now marketed as):-
http://www.poppyscot...s-to-the-poppy/
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

Interesting piece - another view from Ian McGregor, Chief Executive of PoppyScotland (as the Earl Haig Fund is now marketed as):-
http://www.poppyscot...s-to-the-poppy/

Very interesting. I haven't worn a poppy in years although I buy at least one every year. I think I prefer the Scottish groups take on things to the RBL's.

On twitter (so the caveat is right there) it's being said that it was the EDL (or people linked to the EDL) who complained to Kent Police about the poppy burning photo.
- Severus, July 2012

#19 Jasper

Jasper
  • Coach
  • 331 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

"A man is due to be interviewed by police this morning following reports that a picture of a burning poppy, accompanied by offensive comments, had been posted on a social media website."

Maybe the man was arrested for the offensive comments and not the actual picture?

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,957 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

Very interesting. I haven't worn a poppy in years although I buy at least one every year. I think I prefer the Scottish groups take on things to the RBL's.

On twitter (so the caveat is right there) it's being said that it was the EDL (or people linked to the EDL) who complained to Kent Police about the poppy burning photo.

Just because the EDL are generally offensive doesn't give them less right to make a complaint themselves.

I don't agree with prosecuting people for this kind of activity but the EDL's involvement in this (or not) is neither here nor there.

And tbh it smacks of a deflection tactic to try to win over those who automatically oppose anything supported by the far-right with reductio ad Hitlerum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users