Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Next year's exiles game.....

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

we don't need these kind of mickey mouse games in this great sport of ours.
They are a joke ands they make us a laughing stock
They aren't traditional.

On the other hand people could actually open their minds and realise that we are in the process of bullding a tradition here.

God I'm so sick of the miserable self serving gets that inhabit Rugby League

I always thought a game against "Other Nationalities" was quite traditional! Can't win either way!

They're actually more traditional opposition than Australia!

"The Other Nationalities rugby league team regularly played international, and also county, rugby league football teams in Europe from 1904 to 1975"

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#22 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,268 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

I always thought a game against "Other Nationalities" was quite traditional! Can't win either way!

if you have a positive attitude in rugby league, then you are on a hiding to nothing wellsy.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#23 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

They're actually more traditional opposition than Australia!

"The Other Nationalities rugby league team regularly played international, and also county, rugby league football teams in Europe from 1904 to 1975"

they were being sarcastic mate...................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#24 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,599 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Id als push to allow Welsh, Irish, French and Scottish players for eligibility.

Why?

Surely they'd be better off playing against each other that weekend instead? How many Welsh, Scottish, Irish and French would even get in?
Posted Image

#25 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

.....if they haven't already, the RFL ought to book Salford City Stadium now and start coming up with an effective promotional strategy.

It's the perfect size venue for this kind of fixture and perfectly located for fans on both sides of the Pennines

Something nearer to a railway station would be better - Salford's a nightmare to get to unless you drive and then you get landed with an extortionate parking charge.

would'nt be the exiles then would it...

Why not? They're as English as the Aussies and Kiwis are.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Why?

Surely they'd be better off playing against each other that weekend instead? How many Welsh, Scottish, Irish and French would even get in?

Because I think it would give the concept more longevity.

We are slowly but surely seeing a reduction in Australian and Kiwi players. Hopefully this trend will continue, and if plans go well then we could see more and more stronger Irish, French, Welsh and Scottish players.

This doesn't need to replace the teams playing each other at all.

The player pool is quite limited for the Exiles, there is no reason why a couple of Welsh lads, certainly a couple of French lads, and in future maybe a couple of Irish and Scottish players making it.

You could see a halfback partnership of Briers and Bosc for example.

#27 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

would'nt be the exiles then would it...

Exiles can mean whatever we want it to be. Change the name to Other Nationalities if required.

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,268 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

they were being sarcastic mate...................

correct

I hope the exiles concept becomes embedded in our traditions and grows.
Keeping it local

#29 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

Because I think it would give the concept more longevity.

We are slowly but surely seeing a reduction in Australian and Kiwi players. Hopefully this trend will continue, and if plans go well then we could see more and more stronger Irish, French, Welsh and Scottish players.

This doesn't need to replace the teams playing each other at all.

The player pool is quite limited for the Exiles, there is no reason why a couple of Welsh lads, certainly a couple of French lads, and in future maybe a couple of Irish and Scottish players making it.

You could see a halfback partnership of Briers and Bosc for example.

All in good time my friend.

Let the nations keep developing themselves as they are, then in 5 or 10 years time when they are strong enough open the Exiles concept up to everybody to play for or indeed against. Maybe even invite the odd high profile Union star along for a kickabout too.

A Rugby League 'Barbarians', if you will...
Posted Image

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,167 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

All in good time my friend.

Let the nations keep developing themselves as they are, then in 5 or 10 years time when they are strong enough open the Exiles concept up to everybody to play for or indeed against. Maybe even invite the odd high profile Union star along for a kickabout too.

A Rugby League 'Barbarians', if you will...

The nations can keep developing. The Barbarians is exactly what I would base the Exiles on.

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,268 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:56 AM

The nations can keep developing. The Barbarians is exactly what I would base the Exiles on.

I very much agree
Keeping it local

#32 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

I very much agree

I wrote a piece advocating this 12yrs ago for Playtheball.com. It's probably still rattling round the interweb somewhere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users