RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Floodlights

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#41 livo

livo
  • Coach
  • 832 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

I've got a bit of DEJA VU. I'm sure this is what happened 16 months ago. Whats the difference between you and FB. You say he's slagging you off. But you've openly come on here and slagged the BoD off. No difference to me. Like I said in an earlier post. Scaremongering!!!!!
FACEBOOK PAGE: Barrow raiders Bar. Follow for promotions and up to date events.

#42 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

I'm not going to be here for the quiz night. Look back at my posts Gary and tell me where I have slagged the bod. I am sick of people who assume I left because I didn't get my own way and slag me off for it. I worked long hard hours for barrow raiders and not one of you have jumped to my defence, especially the bod.
You think I'm bitter about leaving and scaremongering? Perhaps I have reason to be concerned as I know a little more than you but do not want to talk specifics, however I can not just sit here after all my hard work without saying something.
I worry about the finances as I still have a vested interest in the club..perhaps that is something else you don't realise! I am really concerned with the fundraising and grants as I know for a fact that opportunities have and are being missed as no one is applying for them! When you look back at the fundraising that the board have done so far it's been a disaster! So how can they raise 100k in the next 12 months? I have not seen any ideas put forward or any updates of how much has been raised to date or any strategy for raising it. If there isn't one they need to come forward and say so then perhaps someone can assist them.
The board can not function in its present state, too many cooks and all that. They have a restructure format that would benefit the club but they chose not to adopt it. So instead you have 11 chiefs and no Indians.

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#43 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

For starters nice to see you sticking around Mike please carry on posting as everyone has a right to do on an open forum. Same goes for Neil.

I have bought debentures and put cash over the counter at the club shop for the development fund and floodlight fund. I attended all of our home games last season including every pre season friendly and trains cup games + away at Haven twice and Town + the Grand final. Would have liked to get to more away games but with working away during the week I have things I must get done at weekends. I have bought a season ticket for 2013 so like to think im doing my bit supporting our club.

So on a personal note If there are problems I would like to be kept informed............ even if its serious!!!

Transparency is the best form of keeping scaremongering to a minimum......look where lack of it got us 12 months ago :unsure:

Lee Morton
Walney

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#44 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:57 PM

Like I said in a previous post on another thread,people were not voted onto the board to walk around in club jackets and then not contribute anything to the club.If they are not doing anything constructive they should step down and give somebody else a chance?
They should be given individual jobs by the chairman and then report on the progress of their tasks at each meeting,if they ain't doing anything ship them out!

#45 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:07 AM

Call an AGM, ask what each individual has done for the club and what has and has not been done,ask what is going to be done to ensure the club stays in the championship. it will make peoples voting easy for the next time. (unless the public voting system makes no diffrence to the voting outcome that is ;) ).

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#46 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Apologies Jamie..I should do my own research as to who FB is and not take other people's word for it mate...

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#47 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

Gentlemen, your solution to the floodlights is similar to Leighs tax bill outstanding after Arthur Thomas business went under, and that is the central payment should be used to directly cover this cost. I understand the 2013 payment would be £70k so that and 50% in 2014 would ensure you have floodlights to be proud of and remain in the Championship - where you belong.

#48 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Thanks for the idea but this is not possible and all monies for the lights must be raised as an individual project. Has anyone thought of the lighting towers being sponsored by a business... They could be called the BAE south east tower or the Centrica west tower..even renaming the stands to BAE south stand and the Centrica north stand...and so on..just a thought while I was here...

#49 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for the idea but this is not possible and all monies for the lights must be raised as an individual project. Has anyone thought of the lighting towers being sponsored by a business... They could be called the BAE south east tower or the Centrica west tower..even renaming the stands to BAE south stand and the Centrica north stand...and so on..just a thought while I was here...

Why must the monies be raised by project, surely those monies could go straight to your club IF raised. The KNOWN income is the fund payment, the UNKNOWN is the project fund. The KNOWN requirement is that unless you have floodlights of a certain standard you will be in C1 again next season.

#50 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,083 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

All monies raised for each project should be accounted for seperatly otherwise it may be soaked up in the pot for players, and other activities.

The idea is so you can set targets so each individual project can be clearly seen.

Previous projects:

Fundraising required from the AGM
Duck Race
Battle of the Bands

Maybe a member of the BoD can put the amounts raised so far against the above for clarity

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#51 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

Perhaps it would be a good idea to have a joint fundraising committee for the lighting system comprising of members of the BOD and the supporters club. They could visit other grounds and see how they funded their lights and work around the grounds. Askam have a good track record but I think the best people to approach would be barrow island. They seem to have a great committee when it comes to fund raising and grants. Lets use every advantage and ask for help from people who have been there and done it...

#52 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

All monies raised for each project should be accounted for seperatly otherwise it may be soaked up in the pot for players, and other activities.

The idea is so you can set targets so each individual project can be clearly seen.

Previous projects:

Fundraising required from the AGM
Duck Race
Battle of the Bands

Maybe a member of the BoD can put the amounts raised so far against the above for clarity

Surely that is like saying you need a players fund, a tea and biscuits fund, a coach travel fund etc. Your floodlights are not a nice to have they are a must have - and have a timeline associated to them. You will have factored the central fund in your budgets but this must have overtaken some other priority spends., and hence things will drop down the pecking order.

#53 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

Problem is everything is top of the pecking order...lets just leave it at "it can not be done that way" but thanks for your ideas and I hope you will stick around and put some more ideas on the table. It is appreciated that other clubs care that we stay up in the league.

#54 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

I still believe that this must be top of the pecking order for you, excluding Mr Taxman that is.

Love Barrow since my first visit in the 70's and the tussles we always had as yo-yo clubs for many years.

Good luck for the future

#55 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

There seems to be lots of input to this thread, including input from some very concerned folk !
Please can a member of the B.O.D. come on this forum and comment on the situation ????

Posted Image

#56 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

What I think everyone forgets is that we are still not out of the woods with the remaining debts. This will be another lean season and all spending must be controlled if we are to build through the 2014 season. We chose to restructure our debts and not go into receivership/liquidation as we believe barrow can and will survive through the people of south Cumbria supporting the club. The floodlight issue has been known since the last bod tenure but has not been addressed now we face not only keeping up with the reschedule payments to our creditors but the additional lighting project.
All monies are accounted for through the 2013 budget and things will look brighter, pardon the pun, in 2014 but as in any business sometimes you have to look for support through other avenues. Perhaps a stay of execution can be sought from the RFL until the end of 2014 with the promise that should a game be televised measures would be in place to ensure lighting levels. For you to approach the RFL you would have to complete a feasibility study comprising of planning, cost, availability and requirements. Would this be a financial benefit to the club? You won't know until it is investigated.
Would the local council or the county council be interested in the use of craven park. What would they want, how often and would they assist in the funding of the lights if we allow them to use the ground free of charge for school finals or any other use they want?
Could we find another benefactor like Alan Stoker. A man who has not only put his heart and soul into barrow but also financial backing. Perhaps with a few people of that caliber we could approach the bank with a full business proposal backed by by them.
Every avenue must be explored and the whole board must be involved in how to raise this money. It's going to take many hours and a lot of dead end, however it must be done.

#57 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,055 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Have the national lottery been approached for a grant off them ?

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#58 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,361 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

Have the national lottery been approached for a grant off them ?

Don't bother. They won't finance a club owned by shareholders.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users