RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

TRL PARIS BUREAU: advice please

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:27 PM

Mme Mysterioso at moi are going on Eurostar to Paris in a couple of weeks for three nights, staying near the Gare Du Nord.
Any ideas about how to maximise the experience culturally, supping, sights, keeping out of bother, travel and so on?

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015

Keeping it local

#2 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

Mme Mysterioso at moi are going on Eurostar to Paris in a couple of weeks for three nights, staying near the Gare Du Nord.
Any ideas about how to maximise the experience culturally, supping, sights, keeping out of bother, travel and so on?

Take lots of money ;)

#3 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:33 AM

The area around Gare du Nord has always been a bit dodgy. I haven't been for some years but the Marais was particularly agreeable when I was last there, particularly around Rue Vieille du Temple. Nice inexpensive bars and bistros.

#4 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

It's quite possible to eat very well relatively cheaply in Paris, if you avoid the obvious tourist hotspots like the Champs Elysee and Trocadero almost any cafe / restaurant will offer a variety of dishes at a range of budgets.

That said Montmartre is a tourist hotspot that is well worth visiting where I have managed to find inexpensive cafes and restaurants, a particularly good area for sitting and watching the world go by.

There's a cafe on the roof of Galeries Lafayette (or used to be) where they sell coffee with a view over most of the city, also always used to be quite inexpensive.
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#5 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Take lots of money ;)

lend us a tenner then Jim. You know I'm good for it.

Keeping it local

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:43 AM

It's quite possible to eat very well relatively cheaply in Paris, if you avoid the obvious tourist hotspots like the Champs Elysee and Trocadero almost any cafe / restaurant will offer a variety of dishes at a range of budgets.

That said Montmartre is a tourist hotspot that is well worth visiting where I have managed to find inexpensive cafes and restaurants, a particularly good area for sitting and watching the world go by.

There's a cafe on the roof of Galeries Lafayette (or used to be) where they sell coffee with a view over most of the city, also always used to be quite inexpensive.

thanks shad. We plan to move around a bit. I want to photograph myself to death. What's it like on the metro? What are tyhe most photogenic parts to visit?

Keeping it local

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

The area around Gare du Nord has always been a bit dodgy. I haven't been for some years but the Marais was particularly agreeable when I was last there, particularly around Rue Vieille du Temple. Nice inexpensive bars and bistros.

duly noted Weary. I like dodgy in some ways. The gaff we are staying seems ok though.

Keeping it local

#8 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 276 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

I was in Paris three weeks ago and it was wonderful.Meals and transport were reasonably priced but beer is the equivalent of £8 a pint(4 euros for 25cl).

As stated above Gare du Nord is not the most salubrious area but Montmartre (where we stayed - metro Abbesses ) is only 10 minutes by Metro or 20 minutes walk.The Marais is good and the Bastille area is lively.

If you like good beer (ie not lager) go to La Fine Mousse(metro Menilmontant)- not far from Pere Lachaise Cemetery for the best choice of beer in Paris.

Obvious cultural highlights are the Louvre,Musee D'Orsay,Tour Eiffel and the Picasso Museum but just walking around Paris is a rich cultural experience.

Enjoy yourselves.

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I was in Paris three weeks ago and it was wonderful.Meals and transport were reasonably priced but beer is the equivalent of £8 a pint(4 euros for 25cl).

As stated above Gare du Nord is not the most salubrious area but Montmartre (where we stayed - metro Abbesses ) is only 10 minutes by Metro or 20 minutes walk.The Marais is good and the Bastille area is lively.

If you like good beer (ie not lager) go to La Fine Mousse(metro Menilmontant)- not far from Pere Lachaise Cemetery for the best choice of beer in Paris.

Obvious cultural highlights are the Louvre,Musee D'Orsay,Tour Eiffel and the Picasso Museum but just walking around Paris is a rich cultural experience.

Enjoy yourselves.

we plan to. It's one of those things thsat you want to do before you snuff it, so spending a few bob is ok. just ordered a lonely planet guide. and am buzzing.

Keeping it local

#10 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

lend us a tenner then Jim. You know I'm good for it.

I sure do. Thats why i said take loads ;)

#11 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

thanks shad. We plan to move around a bit. I want to photograph myself to death. What's it like on the metro? What are tyhe most photogenic parts to visit?

Metro is fantastic, they have a load of info on their website (in English) about types of tickets http://www.ratp.fr/e...y-your-tickets/
As far as most photogenic parts, it's a tough call with Paris but I'd be sure to visit Montmartre as well as the standard Champs Elysees, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Louvre etc. I'd take a wander past the Centre George Pompidou as well, there always used to be a load of street entertainment there. Proper entertainment, musicians, jugglers and acrobats. The occasional Mime artist and living statue but not too many in need of a slap.

#12 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,092 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

If you're not bothered about heights and you can put up with the queue, take the trip to the top of the Eiffel Tower. It's an experience worth having. I don't normally have the patience to queue for anything but I'm glad I did.

We stayed in Montmartre and absolutely loved it. Paris is such a great city it's just a good place to 'be'. I'm sure you'll really enjoy it.

As others have said above, the metro is excellent.

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,561 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

There might will Christmas markets open by the time you visit, which could be worth a look. Try the area around La Defence, for instance.

MORE INFORMATION HERE

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,002 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:06 PM

As others have alluded, Paris is a place 'to be' rather than to do things in. Walking is best mode of transport. Do have a walk hand in hand along the Seine with Mrs Mysterioso.

If you visit Notre Dame be sure to visit Ile St Louis, the next island. Very atmospheric and usually tourist free.

The Latin Quarter is horrible these days - however Caveau de la Huchette on Rue de la Huchette used to be a good night out, if you like bebop and swing Jazz.

Dodgy Gare du Nord - no doubt you will see ladies of the night aplenty and be offered hashish. But like you say, dodgy can be fun! Besides it might have undergone a Kings Cross style redevelopment.

Hopefully, you and the Mrs will find something none of us have mentioned and don't know about (Paris is like that), and I look forward to hearing about it.

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

Go the Musee D'Orsay and stay there for two days.

Go home.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#16 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,092 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Go the Musee D'Orsay and stay there for two days.

Go home.

Is that the one in the former railway station?

hullthursday_zpsa8836b84.jpg

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

Is that the one in the former railway station?

That's the one.
- Severus, July 2012

#18 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

thanks folks
another day nearer

what are the folk like?

I've been to perpignan and found the place really welcoming, but that's catalonia.

Keeping it local

#19 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

thanks folks
another day nearer

what are the folk like?

I've been to perpignan and found the place really welcoming, but that's catalonia.

If you go there and make an effort with them they'll make an effort with you. If you go there and shout "SAUSAGE EGG AND CHIPS YOU STUPID FROGGY" then you may get a different reaction :D

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,391 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:48 PM

what are the folk like?

I've not met them all.
- Severus, July 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users