Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

TRL PARIS BUREAU: advice please

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,730 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:14 PM

I've not met them all.

of course not and making a generalisation is a bit pointless.

I was just wondering whether folk had a feeling about the vibe of the place, purely impressionistic.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have yet to meet a person from elsewhere in France who has a good word to say about Parisians. However, many of them do or would willingly go to work and live there.

Perhaps even more than London, it is a collection of 'villages' with distinct ethnic, occupational, socio-cultural characteristics.

LUNEW.jpg

#23 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

The folk in Paris are a bit like those in London: meet some in the pub, and there's a reasonable chance they'll be a good laugh. The majority you'll come across will be in the metro or working on ###### pay, and there's a reasonable chance they'll act like rude arseholes.

I'm a francophile myself and I love Paris - for some reason I've always found myself in the 11th arrondissement (metro stop Voltaire) and I find the vibe around there quite brilliant.

Lorant Deutsch's book Metronome is quite a briliantly researched and written history of Paris, but sadly the English-language version won't appear until next year - http://www.amazon.co...52927580&sr=1-6

Enjoy, L'Ange. The transfer of the Eurostar to St Pancras may be one of the UK's great civilising missions: no longer need Yorkshire folk fear Abroad, as they can travel by train to Western Europe so much quicker than the old charabancs. Christ, Yorkshire might even start producing its own culture.

Musée d'Orsay is indeed wicked.

Edited by Just Browny, 14 November 2012 - 09:18 PM.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#24 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:09 PM

It will take pretty much a whole day, but my God, you must visit Versailles. It is about a forty minutes train journey from Gare du Nord, The grounds are as breathtaking as the the house is exquisite.

I have been advised that a trip to Pere Lachaise Cemetery is well worth a visit. I am a bit dubious about it though!

#25 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

That's the one.

Thought so.

Fantastic building, stunning collection.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#26 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,730 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

it just gets better
thanks guys.
Keeping it local

#27 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

It will take pretty much a whole day, but my God, you must visit Versailles. It is about a forty minutes train journey from Gare du Nord, The grounds are as breathtaking as the the house is exquisite.

I have been advised that a trip to Pere Lachaise Cemetery is well worth a visit. I am a bit dubious about it though!

Probably not the highlight of a visit to Paris but I still thought it was worthwhile. The scale of the place is staggering.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#28 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,869 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Probably not the highlight of a visit to Paris but I still thought it was worthwhile. The scale of the place is staggering.

If you're a buff on French literature and politics post-1789, it's a quite mind-blowing experience seeing all of those names in one place.

If you're not, it's just a load of tombstones.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#29 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,134 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:29 PM

If you're a buff on French literature and politics post-1789, it's a quite mind-blowing experience seeing all of those names in one place.

So, I take it you dig graves then?

Lee Radford rang me the other week....I knew Hull FC were a bit desperate but I had no idea it had got that bad.

#30 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,660 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

I love it. Great place to spend a chilly autumn morning.

Think I've mentioned it on here before, but there is the most romantic epitaph there from a man to his wife. "Elle provoquait la joie".

As others have said, if the knees and weather hold up, try to walk everywhere.
In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#31 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,730 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

I love it. Great place to spend a chilly autumn morning.

Think I've mentioned it on here before, but there is the most romantic epitaph there from a man to his wife. "Elle provoquait la joie".

As others have said, if the knees and weather hold up, try to walk everywhere.

cheers tt
tickets have arrived. Two and a half weeks to etre mis a feu

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 16 November 2012 - 11:43 AM.

Keeping it local

#32 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

A trip up Montparnasse will give you some great views (and phots with the Eiffel Tower in!)

http://www.tourmontp...se56.com/#/home

#33 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:43 PM

thanks shad. We plan to move around a bit. I want to photograph myself to death. What's it like on the metro? What are tyhe most photogenic parts to visit?

Get off the metro at the Station Charles de Gaulle Etoile (Metro lines 1,2 and 6). The escalator that you take to come to ground level gives you a great first time view of the Arc de Triomphe as it takes you up.

#34 Jerry the Berry

Jerry the Berry
  • Coach
  • 5,252 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:48 PM

The folk in Paris are a bit like those in London: meet some in the pub, and there's a reasonable chance they'll be a good laugh. The majority you'll come across will be in the metro or working on ###### pay, and there's a reasonable chance they'll act like rude arseholes.

Thats my experience of Paris folk too - similar in many ways to how working New Yorkers or Londoners treat tourists. I've never been offended by their occasional rudeness and suspect I'd be similar if my work town/ city was full of bumbling tourists.

I've been more offended by them in areas of the Vendee that are very popular with Parisians in the summer holidays and they take their rudeness on holiday with them too!

#35 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

Jim Morrison's grave is a bit of a mess.

###### ing hippes, scruffy bastards.

#36 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 829 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

Most photogenic areas are
Luxembourg Gardens (my favourite Paris Park), Louvre, Notre Dame from all sides(you can get some good shots from the bridges around the back), Versailles, for the Eiffel Tower get off at Trocadero, Alexander III bridge leading to Invalides, Sacre Coeur and the top of Montmartre immediately to the left, Rodin Museum and virtually anywhere along the Seine, For different perspectives try a boat trip along the St Martin Canal, or the incredible views from the skyscapers at La Defence and Montparnasse.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,730 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:16 AM

Most photogenic areas are
Luxembourg Gardens (my favourite Paris Park), Louvre, Notre Dame from all sides(you can get some good shots from the bridges around the back), Versailles, for the Eiffel Tower get off at Trocadero, Alexander III bridge leading to Invalides, Sacre Coeur and the top of Montmartre immediately to the left, Rodin Museum and virtually anywhere along the Seine, For different perspectives try a boat trip along the St Martin Canal, or the incredible views from the skyscapers at La Defence and Montparnasse.

duly noted

that's a big help mate
Keeping it local

#38 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,465 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Sometimes nice to see where other people have been http://www.flickr.co...s/-paris-/pool/
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#39 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:51 AM

I wanna go now.
Fides invicta triumphat

#40 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

I wanna go now.

Me too. Haven't been for about 8 years now. This thread has really whetted my appetite.

LUNEW.jpg