Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

fixture clash

ncl final or county match

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 barbara henderson

barbara henderson
  • Coach
  • 351 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Any truth in the rumour that if you don't play for your county that you cant play for GB?

Don't think so, here's another rule that need's binning:
'Any player selected for international duty must have played or been selected to play, TRAINED OR MADE THEMSELVES AVAILABLE FOR THE COUNTY TEAM in the current season'. :lol:

#22 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Any truth in the rumour that if you don't play for your county that you cant play for GB?

There was a rule that meant that you couldn't play for your Country unless you had played for your County - and you couldn't play for your County unless you had represented your District in the Town Team!

Then, to make sure coaches were able to pick who they wanted, they changed it to mean that you couldn't play for your County if you had "refused" to play for your District, etc etc.

This, in effect, was meant for perennial GB players who were selected year after year, not wanting to bother playing in their Town Teams. If they turned up for training they were eligible (even if they weren't actually available for selection due to work commitments or injuries etc).

Before you start shouting your mouth off Marauder - this was well before the RFL had representative amateur sides. It was BARLA who allowed these changes to go through - pushed through by the coaches of the BARLA GB teams - and most certainly NOT the Districts or the County Committees.

#23 beefy1

beefy1
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

You have to make yourself available for the County as far as I understand.

#24 usain bolt

usain bolt
  • Coach
  • 948 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

theres making yourself available and theres actually playing. rules will always be stretched to suit. i bet the wath brow/ myton players are available to play but wont be selected due to the ncl final. wonder how many will be in the gb squads however.

#25 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:23 PM

and quite rightly too. But I believe that some lads can quite easily say "can't train Wednesday/Thursday/whatever, I'm working away" or something along those lines, and can be considered to have 'made theselves available'.

One thing that has always concerned me a little is the scenario (for example) that you could be a half back at County and GB at under 17s and 19s - but don't get a look-in at open age because the open age have a half back (or whatever position) who has served them well for the past x amount of years. It's not always easy for young, good players that represent their county/country at youth level to progress to open age.

#26 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,763 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:43 PM

There was a rule that meant that you couldn't play for your Country unless you had played for your County - and you couldn't play for your County unless you had represented your District in the Town Team!

Then, to make sure coaches were able to pick who they wanted, they changed it to mean that you couldn't play for your County if you had "refused" to play for your District, etc etc.

This, in effect, was meant for perennial GB players who were selected year after year, not wanting to bother playing in their Town Teams. If they turned up for training they were eligible (even if they weren't actually available for selection due to work commitments or injuries etc).

Before you start shouting your mouth off Marauder - this was well before the RFL had representative amateur sides. It was BARLA who allowed these changes to go through - pushed through by the coaches of the BARLA GB teams - and most certainly NOT the Districts or the County Committees.

Before you start pointing a finger I've been involved since 1977 :o I was also Involved as a payer in the 5 metre/yard rules as well as the 10, I also know who got the head and feed at te scrum if you made the ball bounce before going out from a kick, Just for you, David Gent also agreed to use the county rule for the Community Lions team as well.

The county championship fixtures were put on the calendar last February and where targeted for these dates as the NCL had been scheduled to have finished by then, the NCL play-offs were added later.

Edited by Marauder, 16 November 2012 - 03:47 PM.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#27 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:55 PM

Before you start pointing a finger I've been involved since 1977 :o I was also Involved as a payer in the 5 metre/yard rules as well as the 10, I also know who got the head and feed at te scrum if you made the ball bounce before going out from a kick, Just for you, David Gent also agreed to use the county rule for the Community Lions team as well.

The county championship fixtures were put on the calendar last February and where targeted for these dates as the NCL had been scheduled to have finished by then, the NCL play-offs were added later.

I, too, have served my time in the amateur game. More years than I care to remember, but racking up at almost 40! I remember when it used to be fun (oh, happy days!) and volunteers did it because they wanted to.

#28 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,722 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

That's the problem amateur rugby as lost its soul to many now think they are above the rest when we should all be urinating in the same pot .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users