Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

EXPECTATIONS

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:24 AM

Right fed up of talking about fictitious bands and i know its a bit early and theres still a couple of pieces to add.however where do people think we will finish?

#2 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 971 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

We should be pushing for 6th spot for a play off place,top 5 should be made up of Featherstone,Halifax,Leigh,Batley and Sheffield.We look to be stronger then Keighley,York and Swinton.Think the promoted teams will find it hard,the cumbria teams will have to do well in their home games to have a chance of doing well.

#3 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

We should be pushing for 6th spot for a play off place,top 5 should be made up of Featherstone,Halifax,Leigh,Batley and Sheffield.We look to be stronger then Keighley,York and Swinton.Think the promoted teams will find it hard,the cumbria teams will have to do well in their home games to have a chance of doing well.

Strong rumour play offs will be top 8 in 2013

#4 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

Heard that too if and its the biggest word in the dict the coach can get em to gel i think we could finish fourth.

#5 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

I have to agree that the Rams should be looking to get into the top six and even if the play-offs expands to 8 because of the increase in clubs. Perhaps you will be best of the rest as the top five will be difficult to surpass this season.

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#6 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

Strong rumour play offs will be top 8 in 2013

Hasn't that been decided ? :mellow:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#7 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:36 PM

Right fed up of talking about fictitious bands and i know its a bit early and theres still a couple of pieces to add.however where do people think we will finish?

No expectations because I dont know what to expect from the team. We know that last years squad weren't good enough to reach the top six, so it will depend on if the new signings are better than those that left - which means Glenns kids will need to be as good as he thinks they are. I sat down and thought about a combined dogs and rams dream team the other day, and even with rose tinted specs on, I could only find room for four rams based on known ability - two of those would have been on the bench (bet piggy wouldn't even find room for that many). Of course, by the end of the season, there might be a more balanced look to my dream team, and I dearly hope so, but at the moment I just don't know. To be fair, trying to compare the rams squad to the dogs is difficult, because they have got a good squad of proven performers on board, while we are an unknown quantity, but at the end of the day, they should be right up there, while we just have to keep our fingers crossed .... still - rugby's a funny old game. :rolleyes:

#8 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

You have hope, GOR and that is what sport is all about.

#9 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

GOR sums it up pretty well I think. Based upon recent years even low expectations would be an improvement but of course we all hope that "this year will be our year". Sniffing round a playoff spot would be great - sweating about a relegation spot wouldn't be so good.

To paraphrase the saintly Donald Rumsfeld we can anticipate the known unknowns - coaching ability, player capability, injuries, team balance - but it is difficult to cater for the unknown unknowns. The greatest of these may turn out to be the new link up with SL clubs which could turn out to be very good for some CC clubs and not so good for others. throw in climate change, ash dieback, exchange rates and the outcomes of X factor and Strictly and the situations becomes very confused (unlike me I should add).

We'll finish somewhere between 4th and 12th all depending on kismet.

HTH
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#10 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:16 AM

You have hope, GOR and that is what sport is all about.

Top post m8 you aim for the sky u hit the ceiling. You aim for the ceiling u fall on your BOTTOM

Edited by EQUALIZER, 15 November 2012 - 01:17 AM.

#11 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

You seem to of got quite a few new faces in the Rams team next so it could all depend how long it takes for them to play well together but a wouldn't think you will be anywhere near relegation You have a good coach now and that will make a big difference. As for a playoff position who knows who will get there

Good luck next season

#12 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

You seem to of got quite a few new faces in the Rams team next so it could all depend how long it takes for them to play well together but a wouldn't think you will be anywhere near relegation You have a good coach now and that will make a big difference. As for a playoff position who knows who will get there

Good luck next season

I would be gobsmacked if we manage to break into top six and very disappointed if we are in a relegation battle. Mid table would be fine....providing we play with some panache.. The way we played under WJ was dire and my main hope for this year is that Glenn is true to his word and we play a more expansive game. If this puts us up with the doggies, Sheffield etc then even better.

#13 Bi11

Bi11
  • Coach
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

OK, this should be the kiss of death for you lot next season:- I think that you will do really well with a good young team improving as the season progresses

#14 Monkbar

Monkbar
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

What he said.

#15 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,463 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

I would be gobsmacked if we manage to break into top six and very disappointed if we are in a relegation battle. Mid table would be fine....providing we play with some panache.. The way we played under WJ was dire and my main hope for this year is that Glenn is true to his word and we play a more expansive game. If this puts us up with the doggies, Sheffield etc then even better.

Expansive, but with a good defence!
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#16 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:18 PM

Expansive, but with a good defence!

That's just greedy BSJ. We were ultra expansive in the days of Norman Smith, but we won nowt, because we couldn't tackle. But would I have changed a thing? No. Those were great days.

#17 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

That's just greedy BSJ. We were ultra expansive in the days of Norman Smith, but we won nowt, because we couldn't tackle. But would I have changed a thing? No. Those were great days.

Not just me then. ;)

#18 guest from down under

guest from down under
  • 2,414 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:41 PM

I see norman quite regularly and he hasnt changed much and is still bubbly , i also see peter wright who is now bigger than me . Normans daughter rosie is a jockey for micky hammond and has ridden a few winners .

#19 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

Unproven coach, lots of new young players, think 6th at very best, maybe 8th/9th.

We seem to be seeing Glenn Morrison as the new messiah, WJ was obviously the devil incarnate as far as most are concerned. He developed some very good players, many of whom have moved on, mostly to Fev.

GM has not won one game at senior level as a head coach. I am sure his man management skills will be good, but it's a very tough job and he will be facing experienced settled teams and experienced coaches. He has a big job ahead, not least building a new team from scratch.

His biggest job will be to avoid relegation.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 18 November 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#20 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:26 PM

Most of WJ's team was dire to be fair, he developed good players, but most of them moved on.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users