Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

EXPECTATIONS

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

I can't have many expectations as we don't know how good of a team we are yet, but I'm guessing top 6.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#22 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,774 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

It is wrong to dismiss the chances of the four promoted clubs before the season begins as they are all an unknown quantity. I don't know about Doncaster as I don't know who they have recruited but of the 3 Cumbrian clubs the two west Cumbria teams - Workington & Whitehaven - look likely to have two quite useful squads of players next season. Town have a good mixture of youth and experience with the likes of Peter Lupton, Jamie Thackray, Ewan Dowes, Mark Calderwood with young guns Jamie Acton, Elliott Miller (Champ 1 Young Player of the Year 2012), Graham Mattinson (R/up for Champ 1 Player of the Year 2012), Australian Jarrad Stack, Scottish internationals Brett Phillips and Brett Carter. They could spring one or two surprises. Whitehaven if they manage to get the two PNG international forwards that they are talking with plus Jesse Joe Parker, Jamie Rooney and Neil Thorman at half-backs, and one or two other useful recruits, could also be amongst the surprise packets. There will be no easy games in west Cumbria next season that's for sure. Barrow don't seem to have recruited as well as the other two but they are always competitive.

There is also the unknown factor of SL club players with Town linked to Widnes and Whitehaven linked with St Helens to take in to account as well.

Edited by Keith T, 21 November 2012 - 02:18 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#23 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:18 PM

It is wrong to dismiss the chances of the four promoted clubs before the season begins as they are all an unknown quantity. I don't know about Doncaster as I don't know who they have recruited but of the 3 Cumbrian clubs the two west Cumbria teams - Workington & Whitehaven - look likely to have two quite useful squads of players next season. Town have a good mixture of youth and experience with the likes of Peter Lupton, Jamie Thackray, Ewan Dowes, Mark Calderwood with young guns Jamie Acton, Elliott Miller (Champ 1 Young Player of the Year 2012), Graham Mattinson (R/up for Champ 1 Player of the Year 2012), Australian Jarrad Stack, Scottish internationals Brett Phillips and Brett Carter. They could spring one or two surprises. Whitehaven if they manage to get the two PNG international forwards that they are talking with plus Jesse Joe Parker, Jamie Rooney and Neil Thorman at half-backs, and one or two other useful recruits, could also be amongst the surprise packets. There will be no easy games in west Cumbria next season that's for sure. Barrow don't seem to have recruited as well as the other two but they are always competitive.

There is also the unknown factor of SL club players with Town linked to Widnes and Whitehaven linked with St Helens to take in to account as well.

In my experience it's always dangerous to underestimate Cumbrian teams, especially at their own place. If we brought more than a bonus point from the three games up there I would be impressed. Not sure what our record in Cumbria is, but I can't remember us taking too much from our games up there over the years.

#24 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:29 AM

My expectations are similar to Kelsey's; there's too much of an unknown quantity abiut us. Our new leader spoke well at the meeting last week, did not seek to buoy us up too much, just to get the players to gel over time and I think saw the friendlies to be for such purpose.

I am still worried that we have too many youngsters and they are having to step up and settle to a different level to that which most of them will be accustomed.

At best, I reckon we'll finish sixth.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#25 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I think that the Rams have a young squad, but a very good squad. Glen has recruited some excellent young players, some of whom were voted player of the year or players player for their ex clubs. These guys especially will want to prove the SL clubs wrong in letting them go and will be very hungry for success. Have watched a couple of training sessions and well impressed with the attitude of all the players and the effort they all put in.
I for one am looking forward to the new season.

#26 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Expect nothing

then disappointment never hurts

we will come higher than last season.
we will win more games than last season.
we will get more points than last season.
we will play better rugby than last season.
our halfbacks will be better than last season.
the coach will be better than last season.

the only thing that wont change from last season.

the fans support for the team
up or down,win or lose,good times bad times

were all always there...

#27 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

Expect nothing

then disappointment never hurts

we will come higher than last season.
we will win more games than last season.
we will get more points than last season.
we will play better rugby than last season.
our halfbacks will be better than last season.
the coach will be better than last season.

the only thing that wont change from last season.

the fans support for the team
up or down,win or lose,good times bad times

were all always there...

Well said, we will all be there won,lose or draw ,just hope we get a few more people attending at our home games,think the club have put a lot of effect during the close season,which needs all the support we can give the club.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users