Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sonny Bill Williams rubs salt in the wound he gave the NRL

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,967 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

GIVEN the gutless manner in which Sonny Bill Williams slunk out of rugby league in 2008, the least he could have done was humbly return, admit his past mistakes and hope, rather than expect, to be welcomed back.
Instead, the exceptionally talented footballer looked like a man sentenced to a year of community service when he announced yesterday he would join the Sydney Roosters on a one-year deal.
Williams acted like he was doing us a favour by coming back to the NRL. He didn't even have the decency to talk in glowing terms about rugby league, or how he missed the game he grew up playing.
Instead he spoke at length of his "love" for rugby union and how it was a tough decision to leave the other code.
He couldn't even feign interest in playing for New Zealand in next year's World Cup because, "I have to see how my boxing commitments are going".
If not for an agreement he made with his "mate" and Roosters chairman Nick Politis three years ago, Williams would never have returned to league and would have been happy to continue playing as an outside back in union.

Williams thinks honouring a handshake with a mate makes up for walking out on a signed legal document four years ago.
Walking out on Canterbury is the hot topic he refuses to discuss. Greats like Hazem El Masri, who won a premiership with Williams in 2004, don't want him back in the NRL and believe he should apologise for the way he abandoned his teammates.
"Haz is entitled to his opinion and that is what I have to say about that," Williams said.
http://www.courierma...f-1226516133806

$BW should not have been taken back into the RL family, skilled no doubt, as a person? not for me or many NRL Fans.

Edited by AndyCapp, 14 November 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

We all know what $bw is and what he's about and personally I wouldn't touch him with a 10 foot barge pole, but he's here now for 1 year and the NRL should milk him and it for everything it's worth in terms of hyping up games, media attention and crowds etc. I can't see him playing in the rugby league world cup in 2013 so let's not cry over spilt milk, he's here for 1 year and the NRL should just hold their nose and make as much $ out of him as he does with all his antics.

#3 frank

frank
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:28 AM

Williams obviously know which is the easier game to play, that's why he wants to stick with union.

He shouldn't have been let back into the game and that goes for others who have done the same.

Fortunatly, League abounds with talent and the likes of Williams isnt't missed, where in Union that isn't the case and Williams is a stand out player.

Edited by frank, 14 November 2012 - 06:32 AM.

#4 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,186 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

What Walter said. The NRL should milk him for all they can, as should the people in charge at the RLWC. Come rain or shine he'll be back playing union in time for their world cup.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,357 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:22 AM

He shouldn't have been let back into the game and that goes for others who have done the same.

Don't we heavily criticise rugby union for having done the same thing?
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

Williams obviously know which is the easier game to play, that's why he wants to stick with union.

Fortunatly, League abounds with talent and the likes of Williams isnt't missed, where in Union that isn't the case and Williams is a stand out player.

I think he knows pretty much anyone not in a Roosters or officials jumper will be trying to get a decent shot in and that in 2013 SBW is going to get smashed a fair bit. Particularly seeing that he has to all intents and purposes dissed RL and made clear he would much rather be in the comfort of the All Black family.

Assuming he isn't 'injured' the Roosters/ Bulldogs game should be a cracker!

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,401 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

Yes.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#8 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Didn't he apologise (in his own little way) a couple of years ago?

I bet the Roosters will pay him a million bucks and he'll spend half the time on the sidelines and the other half trying to, again, convince people he's a second rower.

#9 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

The Doggies have asked the NRL if they can play the Roosters at ANZ as the opening game of next season as they reckon such is the ill feeling against $BW that they will sell out the stadium as fans line up to give him some stick.

#10 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

I for one am all for it. I think theres two sides to this story. I can fully understand why some people arent happy with him, but a sportsman has a limited shelf life, and he's managed to cram an awful lot into the best years of his sporting life, and fair play to him for doing so. It'd be no good him looking back at 40 wishing he'd played Union or boxed, he's done the lot, and must be a supreme athlete to do so. Sure he's had to be selfish along the way but after he's retired he only has himself in the mirror to answer to, so i dont blame him for doing what he's done.

The plus side for rugby league is he's a top drawer player, crowds will be up when he's playing, there'll be greater media interest in the games, especially against the Bulldogs, and if you're still bitter take heart from the fact that any fellow NRL pro's who arent happy with what he's done will be looking to batter him up and down the park for the whole season, which should make for great entertainment for the rest of us

#11 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:16 PM

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/williams-gives-nrl-a-1m-boost-without-raising-a-sweat-20121113-29agy.html

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,998 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:17 PM

I don't think he should have been 'allowed' back but it's nothing to do with rugby union, it's because of the way he has conducted himself. Clearly you don't want to stop clubs signing someone if they wish, nor would I want that to be the case but I wish the clubs had not 'wanted' to sign him, at least not for just one season. But they obviously feel the outlay is offset by publicity etc etc.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,900 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

isn't that what unioin did to league for a century or so?

People are allowd to play the sport of their choice regardless of their motivation.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#14 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:23 PM

I for one am all for it. I think theres two sides to this story. I can fully understand why some people arent happy with him, but a sportsman has a limited shelf life, and he's managed to cram an awful lot into the best years of his sporting life, and fair play to him for doing so. It'd be no good him looking back at 40 wishing he'd played Union or boxed, he's done the lot, and must be a supreme athlete to do so. Sure he's had to be selfish along the way but after he's retired he only has himself in the mirror to answer to, so i dont blame him for doing what he's done.

The plus side for rugby league is he's a top drawer player, crowds will be up when he's playing, there'll be greater media interest in the games, especially against the Bulldogs, and if you're still bitter take heart from the fact that any fellow NRL pro's who arent happy with what he's done will be looking to batter him up and down the park for the whole season, which should make for great entertainment for the rest of us

I totally agree. He has a responsibility to himself first and foremost. However much we are disappointed about the way he left I think we are often guilty at judging sportsmen (and women) by completely different standards to ourselves. He wanted to try other things and is talented enough to do so at a high level.
If any of us woke up one morning and decided to do something completely different would we expect to be held to the same high standards so many are expecting of SBW?
Having said that I think the Roosters are daft to pay so much money for him as I bet he doesn't play even half a full season.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#15 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:27 PM

Can't wait to see him run into a Sam Burgess shoulder!

#16 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,006 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

isn't that what unioin did to league for a century or so?

People are allowd to play the sport of their choice regardless of their motivation.

The problem Money Bill has is that he walked out after a year of a 5 year contract with the Canterbury Bulldogs. That is why he is hated in Rugby League circles in Australia.

#17 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:33 PM

Can't wait to see him run into a Sam Burgess shoulder!

I dont think its a given SBW would come off worst, the reality is it could end up with both of them out given their injury proneness, would be spectacular though :)

#18 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,073 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:43 PM

The real story is that the NRL can afford to outbid rugby union federations and clubs for the very top players.

Now that, whatever SBW's off-field character, is good news.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#19 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,900 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

The problem Money Bill has is that he walked out after a year of a 5 year contract with the Canterbury Bulldogs. That is why he is hated in Rugby League circles in Australia.

Yes I know
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#20 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

Did Canterbury sue him for breach of contract or did whichever union it was (French ?) pay Canterbury out ?
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users