RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sonny Bill Williams rubs salt in the wound he gave the NRL

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 SirRadlinski

SirRadlinski
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:25 PM

Did Canterbury sue him for breach of contract or did whichever union it was (French ?) pay Canterbury out ?

Toulon paid Canterbury about £300,000

http://en.wikipedia....y_Bill_Williams

#22 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 583 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:22 PM

The real story is that the NRL can afford to outbid rugby union federations and clubs for the very top players.

Now that, whatever SBW's off-field character, is good news.

That's the way I see it also, should be shouting this a bit louder
100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#23 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,567 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:23 PM

I for one am all for it. I think theres two sides to this story. I can fully understand why some people arent happy with him, but a sportsman has a limited shelf life, and he's managed to cram an awful lot into the best years of his sporting life, and fair play to him for doing so. It'd be no good him looking back at 40 wishing he'd played Union or boxed, he's done the lot, and must be a supreme athlete to do so. Sure he's had to be selfish along the way but after he's retired he only has himself in the mirror to answer to, so i dont blame him for doing what he's done.

It's not that he switched codes - Gasnier, Rogers and Tuqiri did the same around the same time. They, on the other hand, made the switch legally, honourably and above-board.

It is the way he went about it, which was disgraceful on more than one level. Not just $BW, but the way the French authorities nodded him through despite him being in breach of contract. The French Sports Minister at the time was a RU man, surprise surprise.

I disagree with having his return to RL blocked (we shouldn't sink to that sort of level), but I'm disappointed that an offer was made to him.

Here's hoping he gets a battering from his former teammates.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#24 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

I have the audio of SBW's signing on interview. As someone has already said he appeared dis-interested and talked of his love of Rugby Union ( I bet the Roosters were impressed with that).

At the end of the day Sonny is a tremendous athlete who is making the most of his talent while chasing as many dollars as possible. In my opinion theres nothing wrong with this but maybe he should remember his roots and talk up the game that produced him in the first place.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#25 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

Regardless of his reasons for coming back, i'm glad he has, even if it is only for one year. On his day he is without doubt the best player in the world. Im movin to Sydney in 7 weeks time and cant wait to watch him play week after week. Hopefully he'll have a good year and stay with us for a few more seasons, with the new TV deal, salary shouldnt be an issue.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#26 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:44 PM

The selfish scumbag Shouldnt be allowed to play for a many reasons. The way he walked out not just on his club but his teammates and fans after signing a 5 year deal and still hasnt apoligized or even admit he was wrong how he did it to his teammates. He has said he would rather stay in Union and has regrets etc. He has talked more about his boxing than about League! Great attitude. His Agent is Khoder who is not offically recognized by the NRL so who has been managing this agreement? The NRL has rightly stopped Danny Buderus from doing a bit of pre season coaching with the Brumbies Union team. So why is it OK for Williams to play Union in Japan upto February and also have a boxing match lined up just a week or so before the start of the NRL season? Money Bill Williams is a disgrace and the NRL and the game should not welcome this scumbag back. He has no real interest at all and thinks he can do what he wants.

#27 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

The selfish scumbag Shouldnt be allowed to play for a many reasons. The way he walked out not just on his club but his teammates and fans after signing a 5 year deal and still hasnt apoligized or even admit he was wrong how he did it to his teammates. He has said he would rather stay in Union and has regrets etc. He has talked more about his boxing than about League! Great attitude. His Agent is Khoder who is not offically recognized by the NRL so who has been managing this agreement? The NRL has rightly stopped Danny Buderus from doing a bit of pre season coaching with the Brumbies Union team. So why is it OK for Williams to play Union in Japan upto February and also have a boxing match lined up just a week or so before the start of the NRL season? Money Bill Williams is a disgrace and the NRL and the game should not welcome this scumbag back. He has no real interest at all and thinks he can do what he wants.

I agree, going to Union is not the issue, its how he did it. Not the sort of man you would want alongside you in the Trenches.

#28 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

NRL may have opened a can of worms with $BW, now Benji wants to do his own thing. http://www.totalrl.c...japanese-rugby/

Edited by AndyCapp, 14 November 2012 - 08:23 PM.

#29 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,690 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

I really hope he comes to the UK for the world cup. It would defo put bums on seats like it or not

#30 Chappies Dummy

Chappies Dummy
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

I think this is a bit ott, the way you have described him you would think he had committed mass genocide. While i dont agree with the way sbw went about everything hes a professional athlete with a short window in which to make his living so hes doing all he can to maximise his earnings. It also brings rugby league more exposure which is a good thing. At the end of the day hes got himself to think about and put first. I personally cant wait to watch him next season.

#31 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

I think this is a bit ott, the way you have described him you would think he had committed mass genocide. While i dont agree with the way sbw went about everything hes a professional athlete with a short window in which to make his living so hes doing all he can to maximise his earnings. It also brings rugby league more exposure which is a good thing. At the end of the day hes got himself to think about and put first. I personally cant wait to watch him next season.

Peope doing whats best for them I have no problem with . The way Money Bill walked out the game and still not apoligized to his former temmates does. Sign a 5 year deal and then 1 year in walk out without even having the balls to tell your teammates let alone the club. Thats just disgraceful behaviour especially after he bagged Willy Mason just before going AWOL! The way he parades himself and is only interested in himself and not others. He is not a team player. Frankly if he wants to keep playing Union and Boxing up to February then he should just stick to the that. He pathetic claims trying to make out that he is doing somebody a favour playing in the NRL and openly saying he regrets saying he wanted to play League again and wishing he was staying in Union. Sorry but the NRL should have told him to get lost. No player is ever greater than a club or game. The game doesnt need Williams. He is a good player but not that exceptional. There are better players out there who look after themselves financially but dont act all selfish and have an ego.

#32 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,726 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

What will be interesting will be how he reacts to the inevitable attention as he gets back up to league fitness. Teams will just run and run at him, and he won't have 10 minutes watching scrums fall over to get his breath back.

#33 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,887 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

We allow drug cheats back to the game and no one seems to mind.

Yet someone goes to union and all hell breaks loose.

#34 ShotgunGold

ShotgunGold
  • Coach
  • 856 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:54 AM

Is there any loyalty left in sport now??

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,567 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

This is still not the actual point. Mark Gasnier (for instance) went to union around the same time - there was disappointment, but hell didn't break loose, and he was a first-choice Australian international. Why the lack of uproar? He did it honestly. Everything was agreed with him, his agent and St George.

$BW sneaked off and behaved disgracefully throughout.

Edited by Futtocks, 16 November 2012 - 12:18 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#36 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,153 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Many players have gone to union. None have attracted this level of criticism or argument.

Why do you think this might be? (clue: its nothing to do with RU.)

#37 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:34 PM

I see there are some real drama queens out in force on this thread.

Man leaves job for another job, returns to previous job after a while. That's all there is to it.

Get over it. Or get a life. One or t'other.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

#38 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,567 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:47 PM

Wilfully missing the point?

Or do you have a lot of us on 'ignore', so you can't see that the point that you are making is not the point we are making?

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,153 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:06 PM

Well known drama queen Hazem el-Masri thinks he shouldn't be allowed back. Strangely, its not the RU part that he objects to either.

#40 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,616 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Wilfully missing the point?

Or do you have a lot of us on 'ignore', so you can't see that the point that you are making is not the point we are making?

Not missing the point at all. Its just that the point you're making is completely ridiculous. The man is a professional sportsman who plays whatever and wherever for the most amount of money on offer. That's life.

Now ask yourself this - who is the biggest fool in all this ? The man who will no doubt earn megabucks for playing a sport he seems not to be that bothered about, or the people who are prepared to pay him that money in the full knowledge of his history and attitude ? Its absolutely stupid to criticise Williams for it, he's been upfront about his priorities and if a club is still prepared to invest considerable time and money in him then that's hardly his fault.
Super Clarty Git Amang It Dip Fer Dippin Owt In

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users