TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

under 23s

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

i know we have an under 23s next season, but are we gonna have anyone to play. the whole thing seems a shambles. .i'm sorry but if championship clubs can run u23 squads, then s/l clubs have no excuse.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#2 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

There's no U23's next year.

It's a scandal.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#3 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,601 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:39 AM

That's been confirmed, has it?

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

That's been confirmed, has it?

As far as I'm aware. However, there is a dissident movement.

#5 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

It's a scandal.

too right griff
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#6 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Wasn't there some talk of our under 23's being in Championship 2 league? I seem to remember that certain regs stopped us doing it, but is that still the case>

#7 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:58 PM

Wasn't there some talk of our under 23's being in Championship 2 league? I seem to remember that certain regs stopped us doing it, but is that still the case>

rfl "omerta"
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:23 PM

Wasn't there some talk of our under 23's being in Championship 1 league? I seem to remember that certain regs stopped us doing it, but is that still the case>

The issue I'd have with that is it would indeed be a fast route to the feeder club.

Edited by Griff, 14 November 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#9 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:56 PM

The issue I'd have with that is it would indeed be a fast route to the feeder club.

i would see it as more of an "A" team, as they would be your own players
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#10 Matt J

Matt J
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

The problem with the feeder club is that you're effectively taking over another club. Putting your U23 side in a league would be putting YOUR second side into a competition.

Not the same as a feeder club, but it would devalue the competition though... assuming you'd be putting them into C1 and not a new C2 league.

Cummins Out.

#11 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:12 PM

So the question remains. Who do they play. Probably amateur clubs would be the answer. Match time is all important.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

i would see it as more of an "A" team, as they would be your own players

Yes - but it's a step along the way to, say, Leeds taking over Hunslet.

And they'd need to be separately registered squads - dual registration would apply. So would it really be your A team, in the sense of A teams 20 or 30 years ago ? No.

And then there's the question of control - would it be right to have the same people controlling more than one club ? What happens if the A team win the comp ? Do they get promoted ? If not, who does ?

No thanks - more worms in there than I'd care to deal with.

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

So the question remains. Who do they play. Probably amateur clubs would be the answer. Match time is all important.

You'll end up playing a few friendlies. If you're lucky.

#14 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

You'll end up playing a few friendlies. If you're lucky.

and thats the problem isn't it. the rfl have allowed clubs to assemble or retain these teams, with nowhere to play them. it's true ,if they played in championship 1, it wouldnt be an exact copy of the "A" team, but preferable i think, to losing these players altogether or the s/l partnerships. and if they did win the league ,they would have to decline promotion, allowing the bottom club in the championship to stay up. so, not ideal but what's the alternative.
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#15 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

The other side of the coin is do you need all those players ? How many are ever going to play for Rovers' first team ?

Would it not be better career development for them to be playing first team elsewhere ?

Yes we need player production, but each team can only play 17 at any one game.

#16 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

...... and if they did win the league ,they would have to decline promotion, allowing the bottom club in the championship to stay up. so, not ideal but what's the alternative.

Alternative ? :huh: Not allowing it in the first place.

I still say it's the thin end of a wedge you don't want. If Fev are allowed to do it, Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Huddersfield, Warrington, Hull, Bradford etc etc won't be far behind.

Fev have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

#17 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,243 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Alternative ? :huh: Not allowing it in the first place.

I still say it's the thin end of a wedge you don't want. If Fev are allowed to do it, Leeds, Wigan, Saints, Huddersfield, Warrington, Hull, Bradford etc etc won't be far behind.

Fev have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

The other alternative would be for Fev to set up a "partnership" arrangement with a CC1 club to allow players out on DR, much the same as many of the SL clubs have already done with CC level teams. Would the RFL allow this? I genuinely don't know. I don't like the idea, but it would fit in with where the game appears to be heading.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#18 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

The other alternative would be for Fev to set up a "partnership" arrangement with a CC1 club to allow players out on DR, much the same as many of the SL clubs have already done with CC level teams. Would the RFL allow this? I genuinely don't know. I don't like the idea, but it would fit in with where the game appears to be heading.

Not sure, but I believe so - as long as it's not in the same division.

#19 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,164 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

but then fev would not be in control, the host coach would decide if, and which players played.. it's a shambles
joe mullaney is a god

Posted Image

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:43 PM

but then fev would not be in control, the host coach would decide if, and which players played.. it's a shambles

Well, the junior club says they're in control but the fact is that if they don't do as they're told too often, the agreement ends. ;)