STRONGEST 17

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Webke

Webke
  • Players
  • 58 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:57 AM

So then, with the re-signing of Cookson and using the best of your knowledge on the unknowns signed, what would our strongest 17 be on paper?

Experience desperately needed to finish off the squad - I see English, Ekis and Newton from Hornets have yet to sign as has ex Oldhamer Gavind Dodd. Oldhamer Chris Hough has finised at Hairnets - would he be apt cover in the halfbacks/ hooking role?

#2 m brooksy

m brooksy
  • Coach
  • 1,918 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

1.Nield
2.Bloomfield
3.Cookson
4.Ward
5.Agoro
6.Palfrey
7.Dallimore
8.Boults
9.Gee
10.Tyrer
11.Hobson
12.Crowley
13.Roden

14.Hughes
15.Gilchrist
16.Joy
17.Thompson/Marriot

Think we're desperate for some quality in the back row or maybe a centre to push Ward back into the second row. Not really sure about the majority of the young lads as I've never seen them play but I still think we could do with 2 or 3 quality additions to finalise the squad.

#3 ruffyed

ruffyed
  • Coach
  • 124 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Agree with most of your selections but still mindful that we still do not know full make-up of squad Think that Bloomfield, Cookson,Ward,Palfrey,Dalliemore,Gee ,Hobson and Roden are pretty much nailed on certs .Full-back and wing are still up for grabs . I'd give Langtree a go at second row and perm any 4 from 5 in the props. From last seasons form I'd definitely go with Gilchrist and Joy and I don't think that Callum Marriott has just come to warm benches having already tasted first team rugby at Salford .

There's been plenty of talk about a lack of experience in the squad but I have always been a great believer in you're old enough if you are good enough and I like the idea of having players who are hungry for success and imo the squad ticks both boxes.Rather than being reliant on others to guide them round the park they should be well coached by the new team so that they are capable of taking responsibility for their individual and collective performances on the pitch and I have every confidence in them to do this
but we will only know for sure if they are given the chance .

#4 Logic

Logic
  • Coach
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

Good post 'ruffyed'. Agree entirely.

#5 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 443 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

1.Nield
2.Bloomfield
3.Cookson
4.Ward
5.Agoro
6.Palfrey
7.Dallimore
8.Boults
9.Gee
10.Tyrer
11.Hobson
12.Crowley
13.Roden

14.Hughes
15.Gilchrist
16.Joy
17.Thompson/Marriot

Think we're desperate for some quality in the back row or maybe a centre to push Ward back into the second row. Not really sure about the majority of the young lads as I've never seen them play but I still think we could do with 2 or 3 quality additions to finalise the squad.

I like the team you've picked and there's lots of pace in there. I have two concerns about the squad, the overall physical size of the players in the squad and the lack of cover at half back. I think i would also try and find a place for Danny Langtree as well. Beginning to look forward to the season now!

#6 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

So then, with the re-signing of Cookson and using the best of your knowledge on the unknowns signed, what would our strongest 17 be on paper?

Experience desperately needed to finish off the squad - I see English, Ekis and Newton from Hornets have yet to sign as has ex Oldhamer Gavind Dodd. Oldhamer Chris Hough has finised at Hairnets - would he be apt cover in the halfbacks/ hooking role?

Wayne English has re-signed for Hornets

Edited by boro hornet, 18 November 2012 - 10:57 AM.

Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#7 Robthegardener.

Robthegardener.
  • Coach
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:28 PM

Good post 'ruffyed'. Agree entirely.

Well thats 3 of us :D
Posted ImageVelcome to ze forum...You must obay ze rules

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users