Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

widnes link up with workington

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

the latest link up sees widnes and workington town join forces................http://www.widnesvik...cle.php?id=9839

Edited by Viking Warrior, 14 November 2012 - 11:00 AM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#2 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

the latest link up sees widnes and workington town join forces................http://www.widnesvik...cle.php?id=9839

totally immoral

this is killing this great game of ours.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#3 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

luddite,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#4 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 531 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

and the worky fans where slagging haven off for pairing up with saints !!! see how it works out us and rochdale are paired up with saints , town and north wales with widnes i would reckon town will get the widnes first teamers not in the 18

#5 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

This is killing this great game of ours.

Conspiracy theorists may believe this is killing something??

Mr. O'Connors commitment to being an SL club that in future will link up with Workington (and I think Crusaders as well?? anyone) is to me a hint that O'Connor is at Widnes and in SL for the long haul.

I am now wondering why Hull.K.R. did not team up with Hull who looked to York, and why Cas and HKR have no link ups and are setting low budgets for players spends.

i fear that what this may be killing is certain ambitions.......

#6 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

steve o'connors commitment to widnes is clear, with the vikings willing to compete with the "bigger clubs" in the transfer market. and this link up is proof that he has long term ambitions for the club. better for us to have a real business man at the helm of the club than some of the cowboys we have had in the past.............

#7 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,096 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

The end of Rugby League as we know it (as has been stated in all the other link up threads)
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#8 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

As far as I know the supposed link up with Crusaders was just a rumor.
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#9 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,251 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:35 PM

we must rise up and protest in the strongest possible terms.

I for one will be boycotting all Workington and Widnes home egames
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#10 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

and the worky fans where slagging haven off for pairing up with saints !!! see how it works out us and rochdale are paired up with saints , town and north wales with widnes i would reckon town will get the widnes first teamers not in the 18

Why are you making things up? Most Town fans said it was a mistake as we believe the whole system to be flawed and ridiculously in favour of the SL club. How can it be any good for the lower league club to not know which players they will have until near the weekend? How will the local players react to training all week only to be told they wont play as Billy Superstar is coming from Widnes for a game.

#11 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

as has been stated like every other link town will be able to have up to 5 dual reg players from us, and generally they will be with them for the full season. training and playing with town. only in exceptional circumstances are these players ever called back.

#12 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:09 PM

Wonder what widnes club would of done when they were in the championship and if they had of linked up with a S/L club what would their fans of said

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

we did a link up of sorts with wigan, where we took the likes of liam farrell, joel tomkins, stefan marsh, joe mellor etc etc etc on dual reg, and it worked brilliantly for us.

#14 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,624 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

I just hope we don't see Widnes becoming a full-on feeder club for Town, that would be a great shame.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#15 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

I just hope we don't see Widnes becoming a full-on feeder club for Town, that would be a great shame.

:D:D:D

#16 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,214 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:14 PM

we just hope town dont become a full on feeder club for widnes
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#17 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,567 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:25 PM

AFAIK only Adam Lawton so far?

#18 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,879 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:09 AM

Seven out of 18 of the Lions under 18's were from Cumbria yet appear to not be in an academy. Should the link ups with West Cumbria extend to supporting an academy up there??

#19 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,546 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

why would they support a academy when widnes can just take them?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#20 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:32 AM

There is an Academy up here, they are in the first year at Lakes College, Stuart Wilkinson from Barrow is coach, they have 12 full time players now (I think), and will start playing for season 2013 when they get their next 12 full time school leavers, or it could be 2014, either way there is an academy and they will be taking part in the Super League competition when they have enough players

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users