TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

widnes link up with workington

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
46 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

i agree about supporting an academy in cumbria, it appears that these days the area is ignored by the powers that be despite the rich tradition of producing world class talent. to return to and old argument of mine we need a cumbrian club in super league to enhance the superb work being done at grass roots level....
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 Ackropj

Ackropj
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

we did a link up of sorts with wigan, where we took the likes of liam farrell, joel tomkins, stefan marsh, joe mellor etc etc etc on dual reg, and it worked brilliantly for us.

Ahahahahah, Yeah it did brilliant for you, you were ####### in the championship and nothing changes in SL. you may well be building for the future and god luck to you but lets not pretend you were world beaters becuase you know full well you were bob.

#23 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:13 AM

why would they support a academy when widnes can just take them?

Widnes take the odd one a year who makes pro, Unless they want to sign for Wigan. Haven Worky and Barrow take the rest and the kids don't have to travel to M62 land to try their luck as pro's - makes sense......

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:15 AM

i agree about supporting an academy in cumbria, it appears that these days the area is ignored by the powers that be despite the rich tradition of producing world class talent. to return to and old argument of mine we need a cumbrian club in super league to enhance the superb work being done at grass roots level....

Only if the rich men will take less SKY money so the development clubs like Celtic C and West Cumbria can exist and compete, or if SKY recognise a developing game will develop SKY dishes and pay for this.

In theory spot on.

However is Cumbria that rich in talent????

#25 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:16 AM

There is an Academy up here, they are in the first year at Lakes College, Stuart Wilkinson from Barrow is coach, they have 12 full time players now (I think), and will start playing for season 2013 when they get their next 12 full time school leavers, or it could be 2014, either way there is an academy and they will be taking part in the Super League competition when they have enough players

Thanks DRR, very interesting.......

#26 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Seven out of 18 of the Lions under 18's were from Cumbria yet appear to not be in an academy. Should the link ups with West Cumbria extend to supporting an academy up there??

However is Cumbria that rich in talent????

Looking at your two posts, it would seem potentially yes the talent is there!

One snippet of news I saw yesterday about Widnes is they've given every player in the academy a squad number (as I understand it anyhow!) which I thought was a nice touch, especially with a number of them going to be heading out on loan in deals such as this.

Edited by shrek, 27 November 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#27 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Wath Brow Hornets won the NCL Premier Division League Leaders title and then went on to win the Grand Final. Their stand-off was voted Player of the Year. Egremont Rangers were the First Division League Champions and their stand-off was voted that leagues Player of the Year and their coach voted Coach of the Year. The Cumbria County Amateurs team are the current County Champions and are awaiting their game with Lancashire to decide this years champions. Cumbria won the 9's title with a mainly local squad of players.

Depends what you mean by "rich in talent" but I would say that in my opinion they are when you add in all the young men playing SL, like Mossop, Lunt, Donaldson, Amor, etc, and the Championship from Cumbria.

Edited by Keith T, 29 November 2012 - 10:39 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#28 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

Wath Brow Hornets won the NCL Premier Division League Leaders title and then went on to win the Grand Final. Their stand-off was voted Player of the Year. Egremont Rangers were the First Division League Champions and their stand-off was voted that leagues Player of the Year and their coach voted Coach of the Year. The Cumbria County Amateurs team are the current County Champions and are awaiting their game with Lancashire to decide this years champions. Cumbria won the 9's title with a mainly local squad of players.

Depends what you mean by "rich in talent" but I would say that in my opinion they are when you add in all the young men playing SL, like Mossop, Lunt, Donaldson, Amor, etc, and the Championship from Cumbria.

For me a place is rich in talent if it can produce enough players to put together a Superleague team.

Wigan, Leeds and the Calder area are rich in talent.

When it comes to Cumbria I note you stopped at four SL players.

But don't get me wrong I am not having a go, my bet is that West Cumbria is not rich in talent but may well be if only they operated a Superleague team.

#29 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

Perhaps no longer young, but a few more Cumbrians with Super League games under there belt, birthplace in brackets;
Ade Gardner (Barrow)
Ben Harrison (Barrow)
Oliver Wilkes (Ulverston)
Peter Lupton (Whitehaven) now at Workington (only an idiot would mistakenly type he'd gone to Whitehaven) but over 180 top flight games to his name

Then of course up until recently Rob Purdham cut it at the top level.

Edited by shrek, 30 November 2012 - 11:14 AM.

#30 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:53 PM

Ewan Dowes Liam McAvoy, Last years Wigan scholarship captain Brad Lawrence is Cumbrian etc etc. The area has as much talent as anywhere what its never had is exposure to the same coaching resource as elsewhere or guys like Graham Mattinson Craig Calvert etc would have played super league but top flight clubs have always overlooked them due to financial costs of relocating lads who have only potential
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#31 donald

donald
  • Coach
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:01 AM

elliott miller is another un who could step up

#32 bluewhite10

bluewhite10
  • Workington
  • 296 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

Perhaps no longer young, but a few more Cumbrians with Super League games under there belt, birthplace in brackets;
Ade Gardner (Barrow)
Ben Harrison (Barrow)
Oliver Wilkes (Ulverston)
Peter Lupton (Whitehaven) now back with Whitehaven but over 180 top flight games to his name

Then of course up until recently Rob Purdham cut it at the top level.

Lupton plays for workington you idiot
bluewhitearmy

#33 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,964 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

Lupton plays for workington you idiot

Easy tiger - we can't all be as perfect as you.

#34 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Plus the young Cumbrians were the only county team to be the South Sydney youngsters on their recent tour? 38-12
Souths beat Lancashire Juniors 28-10 and Yorkshire 24-20

#35 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:02 PM

Ahahahahah, Yeah it did brilliant for you, you were ####### in the championship and nothing changes in SL. you may well be building for the future and god luck to you but lets not pretend you were world beaters becuase you know full well you were bob.

isn't it time for your medication? just another deluded featherstone fan methinks????
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#36 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 09:53 PM

Brad Singleton won't be far off Leeds first team in a season or two. Greg Richards starts prop for England under 18s who's currently at Saints. Ryan Shaw at Wire who played half a season at CC1 and got nominated for young player of the year will likely be putting on a first team shirt in years too come. The list is very long it would be interesting to see if someone could put it together. All these quality players and dozens of players playing in the championship and there isn't an SL club within an hour and 15 minutes drive. You'd be a fool to say there isn't potential for developing talent in the area, the main question is which is the most efficient way of doing so.

#37 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:07 PM

Brad Singleton won't be far off Leeds first team in a season or two. Greg Richards starts prop for England under 18s who's currently at Saints. Ryan Shaw at Wire who played half a season at CC1 and got nominated for young player of the year will likely be putting on a first team shirt in years too come. The list is very long it would be interesting to see if someone could put it together. All these quality players and dozens of players playing in the championship and there isn't an SL club within an hour and 15 minutes drive. You'd be a fool to say there isn't potential for developing talent in the area, the main question is which is the most efficient way of doing so.

If Barrow were in SL would all these lads play for Barrow? Would people across the county travel to Barrow to watch Cumbrian Superleague? Could a Barrow in SL team up with Worky and Haven? Same question to all others who live up there and have a feel for these things??

#38 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

It might be an hour and fifteen minutes from Barrow, barrowraiderskid but it's over 2 hours from Workington and Whitehaven but I take your point. It makes me laugh when we keep hearing how London and Wales need SL clubs to develop young players and yet we continue to churn out some very good players without a SL presence. I hope Steve O'Connor at Widnes can persuade Andrew Tinkler the head man of Stobarts to get interested in the game, after all it is a Cumbrian company!!!!

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#39 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

It makes me laugh when we keep hearing how London and Wales need SL clubs to develop young players and yet we continue to churn out some very good players without a SL presence.

Developing the player pool is important and the game needs to try to do that in London and Wales, and can do that much easier with SL clubs there to underpin academies and offer careers in the area where the kids live.

The same principle applies to Cumbria. Cumbria has 100+ years of being a staunch RL area hence you can "churn out some very good players without a SL presence".

I suspect you could churn out even more WITH an SL presence to stimulate the development of the juniors up there.

I don't think anyone wants to see clubs in London and Wales but NOT in Cumbria. The question is how can this be done?

As above I think the best bet for an SL club is Barrow, so same question to you - If Barrow were in SL would all these lads play for Barrow? Would people across the county travel to Barrow to watch Cumbrian Superleague? Could a Barrow in SL team up with Worky and Haven as partners?

#40 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

I didn't suggest an SL club in Barrow but I see why you'd think I was hinting towards it as I only really spoke about Barrow born players although they're the only onea I could add to the topic. I've always said that if there was an SL club up by workington/haven I'd go to more away games than home due to a car journey to wigan and warrington is much more pleasant than up too west cumbria, hence I know that fans won't come from west to south or south to west cumbria to watch an SL club as the roads are dire.

And IMO a stronger ameteur game is more important than having an SL club in the area. Maybe an SL club in a specific area will lead to an improvement of the ameteur game and more players produced. But like you said I've never understood why you NEED an SL club produce talent as Cumbria is a great example of how you don't.