Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

1eagu3

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RichardJ

RichardJ
  • Coach
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

How do you pronounce the name of the Superleague players union?

Is it one, eagoo three

or

one eagoo

or

leag three

or

league

??

#2 EastLondonMike

EastLondonMike
  • Coach
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

think its pronounced 'league'. The 1 and the 3 are just a visual thing.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

#3 brummie-eagle

brummie-eagle
  • Coach
  • 794 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:55 AM

is it not league 13?
why dont they just give andy farrell his medal now?- ray french before the challenge cup final 1998

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,496 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

is it not league 13?

Yes.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:57 PM

How do you pronounce the name of the Superleague players union?

Is it one, eagoo three

or

one eagoo

or

leag three

or

league

??

God knows how you are supposed to pronounce it.

One of the most stupid names I've ever come across.

#6 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

there better off been repesented by the gmb union
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#7 Walter Ego

Walter Ego
  • Coach
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

I'm pretty sure it's one eagoo three.

#8 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,206 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:25 PM

Pronounced League 13. Jon Wilkin being a pretentious prat.

#9 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:19 AM

This organisation irritates me. They seem self centred to the extent that they could inflict damage on the game.

The game needs professional players but equally, it needs fans. The players' value is ultimatley determined by how much money the fans plough into the game through various channels. Not by the players themselves who inevitably think they are worth much more than what they get.

I heard or read Jon Wilkin saying something along the lines of they wanted the Superleague clubs to focus on 'increasing player satisfaction' and then bleated about the Bradford situation where, I believe, not one player lost any money, but at least one player walked out into (presumably) a better deal. The players weren't that hard done to at Bradford. They might have worried about what was going to happen, but these pressures are no different to what other members of the public face in their own professions.

For me, the professional game should focus on increasing 'customer satisfaction' rather than 'player satisfaction'. The professional game is surely there for the fans' benefit, not the players' benefit. 1eague3 have got it wrong way round.

The players get paid, and in many cases very handsomly too, to put up with the inconvenience of their jobs. Many of the fans would love to be in the players positions of earning handsome salaries playinf the game they love.

My bet is that this organisation won't stand the test of time. At least I hope it won't. Looking at their website, it hasn't been updated for over 3 months. But prior to that it was being updated on a regular basis. I wonder if its a bit of a one-man (or two men) project which is now running out of enthusiasm?

#10 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

This organisation irritates me. They seem self centred to the extent that they could inflict damage on the game.

The game needs professional players but equally, it needs fans. The players' value is ultimatley determined by how much money the fans plough into the game through various channels. Not by the players themselves who inevitably think they are worth much more than what they get.

I heard or read Jon Wilkin saying something along the lines of they wanted the Superleague clubs to focus on 'increasing player satisfaction' and then bleated about the Bradford situation where, I believe, not one player lost any money, but at least one player walked out into (presumably) a better deal. The players weren't that hard done to at Bradford. They might have worried about what was going to happen, but these pressures are no different to what other members of the public face in their own professions.

For me, the professional game should focus on increasing 'customer satisfaction' rather than 'player satisfaction'. The professional game is surely there for the fans' benefit, not the players' benefit. 1eague3 have got it wrong way round.

The players get paid, and in many cases very handsomly too, to put up with the inconvenience of their jobs. Many of the fans would love to be in the players positions of earning handsome salaries playinf the game they love.

My bet is that this organisation won't stand the test of time. At least I hope it won't. Looking at their website, it hasn't been updated for over 3 months. But prior to that it was being updated on a regular basis. I wonder if its a bit of a one-man (or two men) project which is now running out of enthusiasm?

I don't see there's anything wrong with a professional body looking out for the interests/ welfare of its members, there are plenty of other organisations representing professional rugby players in other countries (albeit in the other code).

What I don't understand is why Wilkin (and JP who should frankly know better), came up with such a stupid name that people have to ask how you are supposed to pronounce it. Why not simply call it the Super League Rugby Players Association?

Agree with you in that it won't last.

#11 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

I don't see there's anything wrong with a professional body looking out for the interests/ welfare of its members, there are plenty of other organisations representing professional rugby players in other countries (albeit in the other code).

What I don't understand is why Wilkin (and JP who should frankly know better), came up with such a stupid name that people have to ask how you are supposed to pronounce it. Why not simply call it the Super League Rugby Players Association?

Agree with you in that it won't last.

I'd like to know why they don't seem prepared to represent the interests of the Championship players. :rolleyes:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#12 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,770 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

are all players in it? and if a player refused what would happen?

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#13 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,126 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

They saw the power welded by the RU players (Rugby Players Association). This group gets a say in players pay, international pay deals, even a say in the running of the league.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#14 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 955 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

I'd like to know why they don't seem prepared to represent the interests of the Championship players. :rolleyes:

Good question. Whilst there is obviously a need for a proper organisation to represent pro rugby league players, I get the impression I egoo 3 was more a vanity project for Mr Wilkin.

#15 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,230 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Not sure why fans of rugby league are hating on Jon Wilkin -. a very eloquent, interesting ambassador for the game and young and presentable enough to be well liked in media circles etc. He supports the salary cap and is also a fan and close observer of other sports so I think has a good modernist approach as well as a sound idea of how the game best markets itself, moves forward and gives soccerball and rugby union etc. a run for their money. He’s basically a younger, better looking Brian Noble who still plays the game to a very high level. What’s not to like?

I think 1eagu3 is a great name (I call it League 13 but who cares?) and a great idea also. Hopefully it will take on increased importance in much the same way as the players unions do in the US sports and allow the players to have a say in issues such as the cap, league structure, fixture list, rule changes etc. Who knows, the considered input of players in the last few years might just have averted the Bradford, Wakefield and Crusaders messes and actually got the league a sponsorship deal. They shouldn’t run the league but of course they should have a big say.

More power to Wilkin, Briers and the rest of the 1eagu3 lads. Here’s hoping we start hearing some of their aims and ideas sooner rather than later and they help blast the sport into a wider arena and get our lads some proper media exposure, if nothing else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users