Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League Magic Weekend returning to Manchester

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,269 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

Following on from the massive success of Magic Weekend 2012 at Etihad Stadium, the home of Manchester City FC will again host a full round of Super League
fixtures in 2013 and 2014.

The unique two-day Super League spectacular will take place over the May Spring Bank Holiday weekend with four matches on Saturday May 25 and three on Sunday
May 26. All seven matches will be broadcast live by Sky Sports.

A record crowd of 63,716 attended Magic Weekend this summer and with next year's event taking place over the Bank Holiday, another bumper attendance is assured.

"It gives me great pleasure to be able to confirm that Etihad Stadium will again host the Super League Magic Weekend in 2012," said Super League Chief Executive
Nigel Wood.

"It was clear from the feedback we received from this year's event that the overwhelming majority of fans had a fantastic experience at the stadium and were
keen to return.

"The location and lay-out of the Etihad Stadium provides the perfect setting for this unique and very special sporting event and I am sure Magic Weekend will
continue to grow in stature as more fans experience the extraordinary nature of Super League."

Steve Sayer, Operations Director for Manchester City FC said: "After the 2011-12 record breaking season for Manchester City, the success continued with highest
ever attendances at the Super League's Magic Weekend at the Etihad Stadium and we are delighted to welcome the event back to Manchester for a second and third
year.

"The Etihad Stadium is firmly established as one of the leading multi-use outdoor venues in the UK, with a proud track record of non-football events. "We are proud to add the Magic Weekend to that list and hope that members of the RFL family will continue to support the event."

Councillor Rosa Battle, Manchester City Council Executive Member for Culture and Leisure, said, "It is fantastic news that the Super League Magic Weekend will
take place at the Etihad Stadium for at least the next two years. "The event has proved incredibly popular and the Etihad saw record breaking crowds attend the Magic Weekend last year, with over 63,000 spectators enjoying the games. "Manchester is a city that truly loves sport and the Magic Weekend is a welcome addition to our upcoming programme of events. We are a world class sporting destination with state of the art facilities which provide economic benefits to the city."

Details of the fixture schedule for Magic Weekend 2013 will be confirmed next Monday (November 19) when the 2013 Super League fixtures will be published.

John Ledger
Communications Manager

Edited by Honor James, 14 November 2012 - 12:09 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Let's just hope we don't get the same boring derby fixtures as last year.

Not holding my breath though.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#3 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Let's just hope we don't get the same boring derby fixtures as last year.

Not holding my breath though.

Which fixtures were actaully boring though? Other than Warrignton v Widnes they were all pretty good games I thought.

#4 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

The games themselves were largely okay but I'd rather see the fixture list mixed up a bit. Personally can't get any enthusiasm for yet another Saints v Wigan or Leeds v Bradford game.

Let's use last year's league table to decide fixtures, i.e. Wigan v Wire, Saints v Catalans, Leeds v Hull, etc.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#5 Gerri Monside

Gerri Monside
  • Coach
  • 308 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

Very pleased with this decision as (apart from the last 28s) I thoroughly enjoyed it last year - although there are still a significant number who will question the validity of the fixture. As an off the wall suggestion and to (maybe) level it out a bit, how about keeping the fixtures "blind" i.e. nobody knowing who they were playing until the night before. Expect coaches etc to go balistic at this, but it might just add a bit of mystique to the weekend.

It's an easy kick for the lad but, as we say in Rugby League, there's no easy kicks.

@IanLancaster65

#6 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

Sweet. I love the Magic weekend, I think it is a cracking idea to stage it in Manchester again.

Having us all together in one place with the option of watching games we might not necessarily get to see live... bring it on.

#7 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,295 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:22 PM

Very pleased with this decision as (apart from the last 28s) I thoroughly enjoyed it last year - although there are still a significant number who will question the validity of the fixture. As an off the wall suggestion and to (maybe) level it out a bit, how about keeping the fixtures "blind" i.e. nobody knowing who they were playing until the night before. Expect coaches etc to go balistic at this, but it might just add a bit of mystique to the weekend.

WWE Royal Rumble style. I've said it for years.

Pick the next two teams out of a hat at half time in the preceding game, then just send them out there.

Great TV that.
Posted Image

#8 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:28 PM

Pick the next two teams out of a hat at half time in the preceding game, then just send them out there.

Great TV that.

An oppurtunity for half the stadium to grumble "fix" every single half time! ;-)

#9 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

brilliant, the sons company have a box at the stadium that we will be using...............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#10 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 5,938 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

Fixture wise wouldn't it a good idea if the fixtures for the weekend went something like this. From the finishing table of the 2012 season, 1 play 2, 3 plays 4, 5 plays 6 etc. That way we should have some entertaining close games with no massive blow outs.

#11 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 01:56 PM

I actually like it being the derby fixtures! If it was to be changed, how about not basing it on the sittings of the previous year as a teams fortune can change a lot in 12 month, but on the teams current sittings. That way you wouldn't necessarily know who you were playing until the end of the previous round. Keep people on their toes etc.

As I said though I prefer the derby.

#12 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,663 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Sweet. I love the Magic weekend,

I'm not quite as enthusiastic for some reason.

Edited by Old Frightful, 14 November 2012 - 02:12 PM.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,878 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

Great TV that.

Would be an absolutely brilliant idea. It would be brilliant to watch on tv. Plus fans would have to be in the ground for all the games which would make for a much better atmosphere and it will look better on the tv.

#14 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:11 PM

I agree that the precise fixtures do need looking at carefully.There is no point in just going for derby fixtures for the sake of it,but equally,were appropriate,the derby element should remain.So for the sake of a couple of examples,I'd like to see perhaps Catalans take on Saints,allowing Wigan to play Warrington and perhaps Widnes play London.On the other side,I wouldn't mind Leeds v Hull,Hull KR v Bradford,whilst retaining Wakefield/Cas.Just a little tweaking/thought,rather than simply repeating the obvious derby fixtures,without giving thought to the competitive element.

#15 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,833 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:15 PM

I agree that the precise fixtures do need looking at carefully.There is no point in just going for derby fixtures for the sake of it,but equally,were appropriate,the derby element should remain.So for the sake of a couple of examples,I'd like to see perhaps Catalans take on Saints,allowing Wigan to play Warrington and perhaps Widnes play London.On the other side,I wouldn't mind Leeds v Hull,Hull KR v Bradford,whilst retaining Wakefield/Cas.Just a little tweaking/thought,rather than simply repeating the obvious derby fixtures,without giving thought to the competitive element.

Spot on. Derbies are fine, but not every single year. And if ties can be picked to (hopefully) give the best and closest matches, why the hell not?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#16 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,658 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Do we actually need to have all 7 games on there? How about 4/5 games across two days in Manchester and maybe a 'London' or France 'double header' running alongside?

#17 Cumbrian Fanatic

Cumbrian Fanatic
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Delighted this is happening again, couldn't go this year due to work commitments so looking forward to next year irrespective of what the games are, but that's easy for me being a Superleague neutral

100% League 0% Union

Just because I don't know doesn't mean I don't understand

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

Great TV that.

In a cage.

With smashable furniture.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:32 PM

I believe Sky like,and pay for!,all the fixtures to be played at the same venue over two days - change the format and the Sky money will be reduced!

#20 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,833 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

Much more convenient for Sky too, as they only have to do one broadcasting set-up for a whole weekend.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users