Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Super League Magic Weekend returning to Manchester

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

May I suggest Leeds should play the wooden spoon team, as their season starts in August

Everything else as per 1&2, 3&4 6&7, 8&9, 10&11, 12 & 13 Leeds and 14

I'd love wires to play Wigan. It'll be good for a change.

#22 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,496 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:10 PM

I'd like to see a draw taking place at a high profile venue in Manchester the week before it takes place if possible.

#23 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

I'd like to see a draw taking place at a high profile venue in Manchester the week before it takes place if possible.

Nice idea, but would it sell tickets??

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

May I suggest Leeds should play the wooden spoon team, as their season starts in August

Everything else as per 1&2, 3&4 6&7, 8&9, 10&11, 12 & 13 Leeds and 14

I'd love wires to play Wigan. It'll be good for a change.

Our season starts in September!,we coast before that.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#25 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:52 PM

I have said for a few years now to anybody who will listen that there should be 8 matches played at Magic Weekend (4 each day) with the 8th being the Northern Rail Cup Final.
This would engage us numpties at Championship level :) and also raise the profile of the much maligned NR Cup.
Just a thought.

Posted Image

#26 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 09:41 PM

I have said for a few years now to anybody who will listen that there should be 8 matches played at Magic Weekend (4 each day) with the 8th being the Northern Rail Cup Final.
This would engage us numpties at Championship level :) and also raise the profile of the much maligned NR Cup.
Just a thought.

I actually agree. It does seem perfect for the NR Cup Final. If it was the final game on the first day - that would be good.

#27 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Just a thought.

That's a brilliant idea.

#28 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Just a thought.

Fantastic idea.
Founder of the convent pontoon team.

#29 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

WWE Royal Rumble style. I've said it for years.

Pick the next two teams out of a hat at half time in the preceding game, then just send them out there.

Great TV that.

2 big problems with that

1 - half the teams will be hanging around all day on the Saturday and end up not playing.

2 - those of us that only want to go for one day won't really have the option as we'll end up paying for the day we don't want.

I'd say for ticket sales you have to preannounce the game order and that's why I'd personally go for the previous year's league table.

Just a thought.

I think this is a great idea personally.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,107 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:18 PM

I have been to all but one Magic Weekends and I have had only one real issue with them. I am not a fan of repeat fixtures in the 2nd year of being in a set venue.

After year one in Cardiff, they kept the format and fixtures almost identical, and tbh it made it feel just like a carbon copy of the year before.

London v Catalan
Huddersfield v Wakefield
Castleford v Bradford
Salford v Widnes
Warrington v Wigan
Saints v Leeds
Hull v Hull KR

The above fixtures should be competitive and still retain that local game element. It also gives a slightly fresh approach.

In Cardiff in the 2nd year you found that the same sets of fans went to the same places at the same times etc (apart from the fixtures being flipped from Saturday to Sunday) and this doesn't lend itself to being fresh and exciting.

#31 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

2 big problems with that

1 - half the teams will be hanging around all day on the Saturday and end up not playing.

2 - those of us that only want to go for one day won't really have the option as we'll end up paying for the day we don't want.

I'd say for ticket sales you have to preannounce the game order and that's why I'd personally go for the previous year's league table.

You were not supposed to take my idea seriously... ;)
Posted Image

#32 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:45 PM

I believe there is a different broadcaster for the NR Cup.

#33 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

I believe there is a different broadcaster for the NR Cup.

Yes but SKy in the past have decided not to show all the Magic weekend games so this is no different. I'm sure that a modern stadium like the Ethiad is set up to permit more than one broadcaster.

#34 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

You were not supposed to take my idea seriously... ;)

Bah, have I been sucker-punched?

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#35 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Personally I just don't get excited by the magic weekend.

One aspect that might interest me more is the location used to stage the games. I think there needs to be a shake up and I would consider a different location every year.

This would tie in with the RFL's big dream of spreading RL outside the Yorkshire/Lancashire strong holds!

Going by past comments I would also like Millenium Stadium and Murrayfield used more often as there good cities to 'make a weekend of it'.

I also think the games that are played need to be changed, the idea of local derby's has had it's day, as a Rhinos fan I would rather go to Headingley or Odsal for derby days than a neutral venue because you loose the whole atmosphere.

NRC Final included is a great idea but I think 60,000 over 2 days for 7 matches is nothing to be shouting about, in fact it's embarrasing based on the fact that Bradford v Leeds had 20,000 alone last season!

#36 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,107 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

Personally I just don't get excited by the magic weekend.

One aspect that might interest me more is the location used to stage the games. I think there needs to be a shake up and I would consider a different location every year.

They have moved the event round a fair bit - (3 venues in 6 years) - did this interest you?

This would tie in with the RFL's big dream of spreading RL outside the Yorkshire/Lancashire strong holds!

Going by past comments I would also like Millenium Stadium and Murrayfield used more often as there good cities to 'make a weekend of it'.

They have done this in all but one Magic Weekend.

I also think the games that are played need to be changed, the idea of local derby's has had it's day, as a Rhinos fan I would rather go to Headingley or Odsal for derby days than a neutral venue because you loose the whole atmosphere.

The Magic Weekend atmosphere has its own unique atmosphere. I and many others love it!

NRC Final included is a great idea but I think 60,000 over 2 days for 7 matches is nothing to be shouting about, in fact it's embarrasing based on the fact that Bradford v Leeds had 20,000 alone last season!

Talking about how many fans turn up at Headingly or Odsal is not relevant.

What people forget is that Magic Weekend's target is probably the away fans that each club take to games. The vast majority of RL fans are happy to attend their team's home games (no different to many sports), plenty of people won't bother with away games.

Good use of the word embarrasing though!

#37 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

1. I realise what venues they've used and when but thanks for that.

2. " " " " "

3. Unique Atmosphere...... okay then!

4. Disagree, I know alot of people who use magic weekend as there only 'away' fixture all season, I wouldn't say they target away fans, more like families and groups who don't get to away games, which generates that unique atmosphere I suppose.

#38 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,107 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

3. Unique Atmosphere...... okay then!

4. Disagree, I know alot of people who use magic weekend as there only 'away' fixture all season, I wouldn't say they target away fans, more like families and groups who don't get to away games, which generates that unique atmosphere I suppose.

Disagree with point 3 all you want, but it is clearly a unique atmosphere - I know of no other event like it in Britain at least.

Point 4 - my point really was that people will quote that Leeds v Bradford can get 20k at Headingley, but the majority of those people will be fans attending a home game, in their home town, with many of them using their season ticket.
Staging this game as an all-pay event at a neutral venue will not attract 15k Leeds fans, as most of them have no interest in away games and never have. Your 'core market' would be the few thousand fans that travel to the big away games each year plus as you say the family and event crowd.
This event will never ever attract a crowd level with the aggregate crowd for these 7 games at normal grounds, and it is flawed to use that measure when talking about the crowd.

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,749 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

It depends which cities/stadia are interested in hosting the event, but I think the Magic weekend is something that brings plenty of bonuses wherever it goes.

How about Newcastle? Good stadium, good place for a good time too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#40 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:19 PM

It depends which cities/stadia are interested in hosting the event, but I think the Magic weekend is something that brings plenty of bonuses wherever it goes.

How about Newcastle? Good stadium, good place for a good time too.

Was just thinking the same thing!!!

Good call!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users