Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

exiles should include celtic nations and france

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

Why include French and Welsh etc? How many would get in?
Surely it would be best to just let them play each other and have MORE international rugby?

I honestly don't understand people's needs to make international RL have less teams!
Posted Image

#22 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

you do understand why a celtic tigers team would benefit wales,scotland & ireland though?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#23 Black Country Wire

Black Country Wire
  • Coach
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

making celtic players eligible for the exiles won't help cos a) it does'nt fit in with the exile cos they are'nt bloody exiles

Well, neither are the Aussies and Kiwis by the strict definition of the word.

Last new RL ground (81): Covert Lane, Aylestone - Leicester v Sheffield Hallam 28/6/14

#24 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

you do understand why a celtic tigers team would benefit wales,scotland & ireland though?

I think at the present they wouldn't be much better than they currently are individually, but maybe in the future.
Posted Image

#25 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Well, neither are the Aussies and Kiwis by the strict definition of the word.

the aussies are "exiled" from playing origin & for australia while playing in super league

stephan kearney said theres no point picking kiwi super league players mid season...hence they are "exiled"

and tongan,samoan,cook islanders & fijians just don't bloody play anyway

so "exiles" seems about right

OLDHAM RLFC

#26 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,816 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:01 PM

I think at the present they wouldn't be much better than they currently are individually, but maybe in the future.

but defo a better option than GB?

its better to leave england completely out of it....and if any "combination team" is to be formed it's better served being one just for wales,scotland & ireland?

OLDHAM RLFC

#27 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,181 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

glad you can see that....most don't!

i am a fan of promoting the game in wales. ireland and scotland, and if we had a combined celtic tigers team then it would be a great boost for the developmental process in those areas.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#28 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,303 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

I have a brilliant idea that no one has EVER though of.

why not have separate teams for Ireland, for Scotland and for Wales, one for France, one for England and..wait for it, this is the good bit..., have a series of games between these teams..wait..wait...on a regular and annual basis!!!

#29 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:28 PM

Even better idea...

Why don't we separate Northern Ireland and Republic of Ireland as well...

You know, since Ireland isn't a country either...
Posted Image

#30 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

I have a brilliant idea that no one has EVER though of.

why not have separate teams for Ireland, for Scotland and for Wales, one for France, one for England and..wait for it, this is the good bit..., have a series of games between these teams..wait..wait...on a regular and annual basis!!!

In principle I'm with you, however we've just had a series with the three best teams from these that completely failed to grab the attention of the Rugby League public.

The fact is that we do have teams for each of these, they do play games (nowhere near as many as I'd like) - it doesn't really affect the Exiles, in the same way that the Barbarians doesn't adversely affect any RU International team.

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,303 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

I think there is a bigger issue , though about grabbing people's attention.. In the late 1980s and early 1990s there was some antipodean International momentum building up..increased crowds, increased competitiveness , some really decent pre-match entertainment, good summer weather even! Then came SuperLeague wars and the whole international programme seemed to fall apart for may years. It is really only in the last couple of years I think that there has really been any focus on Internationals again as people in the game realise that unless your game does not have a decent International dimension, its going to be dead in the water in this era of global coverage.

The next big thing is the World Cup and I think between now and then we need to see some more games between the existing northern hemisphere teams to prepare them for the big event. Then AFTER the WC we need to carry on where we left off. Stability is all, I think, for player, fans and media.
s

#32 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,921 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:05 PM

In principle I'm with you, however we've just had a series with the three best teams from these that completely failed to grab the attention of the Rugby League public.

I thought the France/Wales game attracted the French public's attention. They aren't grabbing the attention much here, but neither are the Exiles to be fair. I don't think adding them to the Exiles will add anything at all, rather the opposite.

Posted Image