NRL: Benji seeking move to Japanese rugby

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Benji Marshall's manager is to seek an immediate release from the Wests Tigers star's contract so he can pursue opportunities in Japanese rugby.
Manager Martin Tauber has told News Ltd that in the wake of the NRL accepting Sonny Bill Williams' return to the game he is keen to explore Marshall's opportunities in the rival code.
Tauber believes the NRL's registration of Williams has set a precedent other players can pursue.
"It is probably something I will raise with the chief executive in the next couple of days, when they come back from their exhaustive camp,'' Tauber said on Wednesday.
"It's an opportunity for them to earn additional income that would set themselves up financially for the long term.''
The NRL has previously rejected players moonlighting in rival codes, but there is a growing belief that future moves to stop players jumping codes in the off-season might be a restraint of trade following the Williams precedent, the News Ltd report said.

Link
http://www.nzherald....jectid=10847527

Good move welcoming $BW back in.

And again.
Posted Image

http://www.courierma...x-1226516963667

Edited by AndyCapp, 14 November 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#2 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 848 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:11 AM

That news item does not surprise me: this is what happens when you pander to people with utterly enormous egos like SBW, who believe they are bigger than the game

the can of worms has been opened …

#3 koli

koli
  • Coach
  • 172 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:23 AM

Japan would be an interesting mkt for NRL to target. Japanese much better suited to RL than RU,significant rugby market already developed,lots of corporate support.

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,368 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

Not happening according to Wests CEO.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,368 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:37 AM

Not happening according to Wests CEO Stephen Humpries.

#6 MrPosh

MrPosh
  • Coach
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:57 AM

I didn't realise they had rugby in Japan - just union.
People called Romans they go the house

#7 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Just another agent trying to drum up an extra few quid for himself.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,732 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

How the hell can it be a restraint of trade? Surely in the off-season he still has responsibilities to his employer, and indeed has training (ie. his job!)

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,045 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

let him go........the kiwis would actually be better off without him...

they could actually build a team around a PAIR of halves like foran & johnson.........instead of "magic" benji trying to do everything on his own and looking like a headless chicken doing it..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#10 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

let him go........the kiwis would actually be better off without him...

they could actually build a team around a PAIR of halves like foran & johnson.........instead of "magic" benji trying to do everything on his own and looking like a headless chicken doing it..

I think they are just talking about him doing a 12-week stint (Dec, Jan, Feb etc.) rather than throwing his League career away TBH

#11 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

How the hell can it be a restraint of trade? Surely in the off-season he still has responsibilities to his employer, and indeed has training (ie. his job!)

I totally agree, players are not contracted to just play the games. Otherwise why not have players playing RL on a Saturday and then RU midweek on a Wednesday.
Training, pre-season an friendlies are all part of playing for a club, I'm sure if I told my employer that I was not bothering with a training day as I could work else where , I'd be out on my ear.

The difference is if both clubs agree, just as with my employer if they agree to me doing another job that does not clash with my primary employer.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#12 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:42 PM

Aye, in my mind this is different to the SBW situation, in that the union season he's playing is drawing to a close and he won't be playing league at the same time as he's contracted to play union, he's just lining up RL for after the union contract finishes, which is fine.
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users