Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

If you could turn back the clock!

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

During a walk in the countryside yesterday I came across a football pitch surrounded by woodland. It brought fond memories flooding back to when I used to play football on a similar pitch. If I could turn the clock back, then it would be to play on that pitch once more. My friend said he would change course at the crossroads of life, because he always went the wrong way! He is a bit of a lost soul anyhow! :D

Is there something that you would like to turn the clock back for?

Edited by Saint Billinge, 15 November 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#2 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

When I passed my eleven plus but opted to go to the local Comprehensive instead of the (ex) grammar school because my mates were going there. Whilst I have a good life its something I always ponder on.

Also, not passing up a sure thing when I was 17 with a stunningly drop dead gorgeous girl. ;)
Fides invicta triumphat

#3 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,003 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

I'd choose a different job. I took my job based on the money and while that's no small concern in choosing a job, I feel I could have done just as well in one with less anti social hours, noise and chemicals. A minor grumble really but if I'd considered my options a bit more, I could have made a better choice. Then again, I couldn't turn down the wages.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#4 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,071 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'm only 25 but could turn the clock back the full 24 times...!

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#5 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:28 AM

At college I had a choice between doing science or a business course. I chose business, because the head of the science course sold it badly. Whilst I probably wouldn't be as well off financially, science has always been my primary interest and I love and am amazed by it every day.

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,917 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:54 AM

I go through that thought process often, usually when I'm out alkone with my dogs.

I regfret taking promotion in 1977. I was happy in the school |I worked in, and where I was living. I went for more dosh and more responsibility in a school I hated the minute I set foot in it on the first bday of term. Ego and pound signs blinded me to what a ###### place it was when I went for the interview.
On the other hand if I hadn't walked out of the place and done my nurse training I wouldn't have met my wife wife, and wouild have missed out on a fulfilling period of my working life.
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#7 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,844 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

I've made plenty of huge and regrettable decisions in my past but I would not change them now even if I could. Without those decisions forcing me into some uncomfortable and at the time unwelcome paths, I would have never have:
- met my wife
- gone into my current career
- met the vast majority of my friends
- travelled as widely as I have

and many other things that I now take for granted. I know for sure I wouldn't be who I am now if I hadn't made all of those idiot decisions in the past.

If I could go back in time and re-experience something then it would have to be spending more quality time with family and friends who are no longer alive. I do bitterly regret choosing not to spend time with some people who died either unexpectedly or too young.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:38 AM

Also, not passing up a sure thing when I was 17 with a stunningly drop dead gorgeous girl. ;)

Oddly she's just texted to stress that she has absolutely no regrets from her past whatsoever.

She did mention something about a lucky escape.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,665 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I've made plenty of huge and regrettable decisions in my past but I would not change them now even if I could. Without those decisions forcing me into some uncomfortable and at the time unwelcome paths, I would have never have:
- met my wife
- gone into my current career
- met the vast majority of my friends
- travelled as widely as I have

and many other things that I now take for granted. I know for sure I wouldn't be who I am now if I hadn't made all of those idiot decisions in the past.

If I could go back in time and re-experience something then it would have to be spending more quality time with family and friends who are no longer alive. I do bitterly regret choosing not to spend time with some people who died either unexpectedly or too young.

My brother Brian died aged four as a result of a road accident when I was a baby. I often wonder what life would have been like with him around! I have had my ups and downs, but it's all a learning curve. I must admit to enjoying my footballing days hugely, and still relive in my mind the goals scored. :D

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:42 AM

I loved my last term at university. I'd enjoy having those moments again.

Of course I've got plenty of 'what ifs' and regrets but they are mostly pretty minor. If I could have my time over I'd make sure I never discovered the addictive nature of internet messageboards.
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

Norma from Belfast - that is all
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

Signing the right contract at 17 instead of the one I did sign.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#13 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

Signing the right contract at 17 instead of the one I did sign.

You'd have enjoyed it Cas mate!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

You'd have enjoyed it Cas mate!

Ah,if only!
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#15 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

It's just going back to when i was a kid (46 now) and buying a couple of packets of fish n chips crisps after school rugby on a sat,they were in packets that looked like newspaper,can't get them now......easily pleased.....

#16 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,867 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:59 AM

Oddly she's just texted to stress that she has absolutely no regrets from her past whatsoever.

She did mention something about a lucky escape.

The years haven't been kind to her and she has lost her looks. That, or my hormones at the time were taking the mickey.
Fides invicta triumphat

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,142 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

The years haven't been kind to her and she has lost her looks. That, or my hormones at the time were taking the mickey.

You were 17.

To quote that men amongst boys Xander Harris: "I'm 17, looking at linoleum makes me think about sex."
- Severus, July 2012

#18 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

When I was 17 I was playing for the youth team of a pro football club. I played football because I enjoyed it, not because I had dreams of stardom or glory, so when it all got too serious and everyone around me was obsessing over contracts, etc, I lost all enjoyment in playing. I just wanted to play with my mates, not be immersed in what was a pretty harsh environment. So I walked away.

Now, I'm not saying I'd have played in the Premier League because I'm pretty certain I wouldn't have got that far. But I could have had a good career out of it, and when I see some of my contemporaries (Marlon Harewood and Jason Roberts for example) I do get a twinge of regret.

Then again, as said by others on here, if I'd continued with the football I wouldn't have met my best mate and he wouldn't have introduced me to my mrs. So.... swings and roundabouts, I suppose.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#19 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

I have and continue to make bad choices about lots of things. Despite this I've learnt not to beat myself up too badly about it and try, often unsuccessfully, to learn from it.
On the other hand, I cringe when I think of the occasions when I've been not been very nice to other people.
"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#20 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,088 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

If you change the past then you change the future, one small change in your past may mean that what you have now will never have become.

If you don't like your now, AT ALL, then change your past, if you have a regret for not doing one simple thing then changing it is wishing your present away for what really?

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users