Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Craig Gower extends Broncos contract

Broncos media release

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

London Broncos are pleased to announce that Craig Gower has signed a contract extension and will remain at the club until the end of the 2014 season.

Gower, 34, joined the Broncos for the 2012 season on a two year deal and made 28 appearances for the club in 2012 comprising of 26 Super League games and two Challenge Cup games. He scored four tries and 27 goals in his first season. Gower previously played Rugby League with Penrith Panthers in the NRL and also represented New South Wales and Australia. In 2008 he switched codes to play for French Rugby Union club Bayonne where he remained until the end of 2011, he represented Italy Rugby Union on 13 occasions, for which he is eligible due to his Italian Grandfather.

“We’re settled here, I spoke to the club and they were willing to give me another year which was great,” said Gower. “Obviously last season was a tough season but we love being here and we’ve enjoyed it, even though it was a tough grind it’s just part of footy. I’m just looking forward to this year. That’s the benefit of having a group that’s a year older and hopefully we can respond to that and play a lot more consistent football over the entire year. It’s fine, pre-season is pre-season, you are here to work and get yourself prepared for the new season, it’s always tough, you just have to put the effort in and you’ll see the rewards later on. For me it’s winning games, if we can win games it just makes life easier and more enjoyable."

London Broncos head coach Tony Rea believes signing Gower is a great sign for the club.

“Craig displays terrific appetite for the game and towards training and preparation,” said Rea. “Some people might query signing a player of his age but the fact he played every game apart from one last year is better evidence than his birth certificate. It’s not a risk, it’s calculated. The evidence is he is playing.”

London Broncos season tickets are now available for the 2013 season and ticket prices have been revised. To purchase visit www.londonbroncosrl.com or call the ticket hotline on 020 8410 6000.

Media and PR
London Broncos Rugby League

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I don't see this as particularly good news for the club, but it is typical of Tony Rea and brings back memories of his decision-making when coach and CEO previously. Gower was good last season, and probably will be this year too, but he is already 34 and cannot train after a game. How on earth can the club know what kind of condition he will be in come the end of next season? He's already under contract for 2013 so why the need to rush in and give him another year on top of that?

It's something the club has done in the past (Howell springs immediately to mind) and been bitten on the bum because of it. There's just no need to take the risk.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,305 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:26 AM

I don't see this as particularly good news for the club, but it is typical of Tony Rea and brings back memories of his decision-making when coach and CEO previously. Gower was good last season, and probably will be this year too, but he is already 34 and cannot train after a game. How on earth can the club know what kind of condition he will be in come the end of next season? He's already under contract for 2013 so why the need to rush in and give him another year on top of that?

It's something the club has done in the past (Howell springs immediately to mind) and been bitten on the bum because of it. There's just no need to take the risk.

I ask because I don't know: developing a coaching role for him?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 nadera78

nadera78
  • Coach
  • 2,985 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

I ask because I don't know: developing a coaching role for him?

It's possible, but I assume they'd have mentioned it if that was the plan. Wigan did with Sean O'Loughlin's new contract and he's only 31.
"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

#5 Spicer

Spicer
  • Coach
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

Can perfectly understand the concern here.
He certainly took some stick from the opposition last year.
Big gamble which I hope pays off, as he makes a real difference.

#6 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

At least he will still be around for the World Cup.