Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Now Sheffield

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:18 PM

Linked up with French team to share players

#2 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,872 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

Oh non!

#3 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

Linked up with French team to share players

If they are sharing players will they all be HALF backs?

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:01 PM

Mon Dieu !! :lol:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 greydog

greydog
  • Coach
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:43 PM

Sac de murd

#6 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:33 PM

Mon Dieu !! :lol:

Obvbiously a 'cri de coeur;' An appeal for assistance. Let's hope they CHANNEL their resources properly. Lets hope number soixante -neuf doesn't come over. If he does what position do you think he will adopt?

#7 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:29 PM

Obvbiously a 'cri de coeur;' An appeal for assistance. Let's hope they CHANNEL their resources properly. Lets hope number soixante -neuf doesn't come over. If he does what position do you think he will adopt?

Another one sold out for the piece of silver.There are going to be quite a few lads reverting to amateur methinks. Why worry when Man Utd are carrying a debt of umpteen millions.

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:33 AM

The differences are ...

1. We're the senior partners here.

2. Players will be seconded for months, not hours.

3. Nobody's going to be required to fly across the channel at 10 minutes notice.

;)

#9 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

The differences are ...

3. Nobody's going to be required to fly across the channel at 10 minutes notice.

;)

what happened to thin end of the wedge, come on griff, it's either a bad idea or it's not. you're changing horses in mid channel.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#10 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

The differences are ...

;)

But how are part-time players going to do their day jobs?

#11 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:01 PM

what happened to thin end of the wedge, come on griff, it's either a bad idea or it's not. you're changing horses in mid channel.

Totally different arrangement, oldrover.

My main objection to dual reg was coaches not knowing whether players would be available. This is more like the loan system, with which I've never had a problem.

#12 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

But how are part-time players going to do their day jobs?

:blink:

Get a job more locally ?

#13 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,173 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Get a job more locally ?

Have you any idea how hard it is to get a job. Mind if they are going to Sheffield they could 'steel' somebody elses. As OR said you were against this kind of arrangement whatever way it was dressed up.

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

As OR said you were against this kind of arrangement whatever way it was dressed up.

No, I wasn't. I'm on record somewhere on the half dozen threads on the subject saying "What's wrong with the loan system?"

It's the short term element I'm against. Loan a player for a month or more and that's fine by me. Always has been.

#15 Bob Crowther

Bob Crowther
  • Coach
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:03 PM

No, I wasn't. I'm on record somewhere on the half dozen threads on the subject saying "What's wrong with the loan system?"

It's the short term element I'm against. Loan a player for a month or more and that's fine by me. Always has been.

The time period is of no consequence, IMO. Still deprives a homegrown and regular player of a team position. No wonder we cannot do owt at international level.

#16 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

If we announced we'd agreed to a link with a club in another country, where we could share coaching and other expertise, and allow our younger players an opportunity to broaden their experience of both the game and the world in general, then I'd be all for it. I can't see how we'd fail to benefit in the longer term. If we agreed to link with another team in this country, where we were leant on to include players in our first team at the whim of the other club, then I'd be most unhappy. I'd not be hugely impressed if we were doing the latter as the senior partner either.

The partnerships between SL and Championship clubs to me appear to be of the later style. I'd hope Sheffield's arrangement with Limoux is more like the former, although without all the details, it's difficult to say for sure.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#17 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:38 PM

The time period is of no consequence, IMO. Still deprives a homegrown and regular player of a team position. No wonder we cannot do owt at international level.

Spot on Bob, by the time they have done we will be loaning players from Rugby Union... -_-

#18 intheshed

intheshed
  • Coach
  • 408 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

This looks and feels considerably different from most if not all of the SL/Champs partnerships announced to date.

As already stated cost,employment & travelling issues suggest that this will not involve week to week movement of players. It seems far more likely that this will involve a fixed number of players spending their respective off seasons with the partner club. Can't honestly see any major issues.

#19 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,039 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

for s/l club read sheffield, for championship club read limoux.
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#20 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,778 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

The time period is of no consequence, IMO.

Nonsense - we've had a loan transfer system for donkeys' years and no-one complained about it.

Still deprives a homegrown and regular player of a team position.

We can't discriminate against players just because they're French. We're in the EU now. They've a perfect right to work over here - no work permit required.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users