Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Another Rugby League novel on the way.

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:01 PM

Having now written four novels (One Winter, One Spring, One Summer and One Autumn) all with a strong Rugby League background, I am now pleased to announce that, except for the last page, I have now finished writing the fifth novel in the series.
It is set in 2002 and 2003 and includes such chapter titles as "Sam Was A Good Yorkshireman", "Taking Afternoon Tea At Bailiff Bridge", "Listening To Stevo And Eddie", "What's Up With Elvis", Meeting Eddie Waring", "A Day Out In Wigan", "A Tale From Knowsley Road" and "She's A Jehovah's Widnes"!

Number 5 will be published next year but for anyone looking for a Christmas present this year, I will be signing copies of "One Autumn" at a number of shops this coming week all from 11 'o' clock onwards:

Waterstones Leeds Monday November 19th
Waterstones Bradford Thursday November 22nd
Waterstones Huddersfield Friday November 23rd
WH Smith Wakefield Saturday November 24th

For those who prefer it, 'One Autumn' and my first novel 'One Winter" set during one of the worst winters in living memory are now available on Kindle.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

Potboilers rather than novels I'm afraid Geoff.

Try "A Family Madness" or "This Sporting Life" if you want a proper novel that features RL.

Edited by Blind side johnny, 16 November 2012 - 01:42 PM.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Hi Geoff. If you're at the WH Smith in Dewsbury then I'd be happy to put something on the club website. We might even be able to get Roger Ram down to help!

Thanks,
Tom

#4 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:09 PM

Well said BSJ
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#5 Geoff Lee

Geoff Lee
  • Coach
  • 494 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

A pot boiler is a literary composition of poor quality written quickly to make money. I first started writing One Winter in 1988 so the four novels have taken me over 20 years to complete. Based on that definition, I don't consider writing quickly to be one of my characteristics.
Neither do I consider myself to be in the same league as David Storey or Thomas Kenneally but I have done something neither of them have done which is a books signing session in WH Smith in their Dewsbury store and also on Dewsbury Market outside Dawson's Bookstall where a good selection of Rugby League books, including mine, can be bought in time for Christmas.
And among Rugby League people who have enjoyed my material can be included Tony Collins, Stuart Duffy, Ray French, Dave Hadfield, Tony Hannan, Steve Heptinstall, John Spellman, Mike Stephenson, Graham Williams and Dewsbury's own Stan Barstow!

Edited by Geoff Lee, 16 November 2012 - 09:21 PM.

www.geofflee.net for news of my novels, One Winter, One Spring, One Summer, One Autumn and Two Seasons. All are written against a strong Rugby League background, set in South Lancashire and inspired by the old saying about work: "They could write a book about this place. It would be a best seller".

#6 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

BSJ - somewhat pointless denigration of someone's efforts. If you'd said you weren't a fan and didn't like his work, then fine and I'm sure he would accept that. Very insulting to call them potboilers. Feel free to write something better.

#7 Batley Bob

Batley Bob
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:59 AM

well I enjoy reading them , keep em coming Geoff

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:17 AM

BSJ - somewhat pointless denigration of someone's efforts. If you'd said you weren't a fan and didn't like his work, then fine and I'm sure he would accept that. Very insulting to call them potboilers. Feel free to write something better.

When someone comes on the forum advertising their wares then I feel I have the right to comment. You may disagree with them but that's a forum for you isn't it?

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

BSJ. - okay, all your posts are inane drivel.

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:36 PM

BSJ. - okay, all your posts are inane drivel.

Thank you for reading them, all the same.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#11 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

I thought one of the forum rules was not to try flogging stuff on here ?

#12 Sir Jekyll Stocking

Sir Jekyll Stocking
  • Coach
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:42 PM

I thought one of the forum rules was not to try flogging stuff on here ?

Tom, John North says you've got to stop trying to flog Rams season tickets and replica shirts. It's the rules, apparently. :P

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:08 PM

Tom, John North says you've got to stop trying to flog Rams season tickets and replica shirts. It's the rules, apparently. :P

:lol:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#14 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

Indeed, as each forum is officially independent of the club it represents, all posts that promote anything other than the wares of site owners LPL would be grouped in the same bracket as Geoff's posts, including Dewsbury Rams matches, shirts and season tickets, and all of the BISSA stuff on the Bulldogs board.

Typically, we allow posts like the one Geoff submitted if the content is deemed to be of interest to rugby league forum readers and helping to promote the sport.

I reckon Geoff's posts tick both boxes and, as no report has been made against any of them, they're still on here.

If it all gets too much to bear then there's always the 'Ignore' button.

#15 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:18 PM

SJS and Griff, take your mumblings back to Ward 15.

Edited by John North, 19 November 2012 - 06:19 PM.

#16 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,883 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:40 AM

What a sad state of affairs when an RL fan can't promote something of interest regarding our sport and heritage. Without these forums how do some of us find out about them?

Edited by Ackroman, 20 November 2012 - 10:40 AM.

#17 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

I look forward to BSJ's 4 volume set of "travels with my father (GOR)"

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

I look forward to BSJ's 4 volume set of "travels with my father (GOR)"

I would like to point out that I am not in any way related to BSJ - there are no similar characteristics - all he does is moan and complain and bang on about the old days and ............ oh ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,469 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

What a sad state of affairs when an RL fan can't promote something of interest regarding our sport and heritage. Without these forums how do some of us find out about them?

Right, I'll stop posting then.

Ta ta!

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,691 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Right, I'll stop posting then.

Ta ta!

Thought you might just be joking BSJ, but it seems you aren't - which is sad, because while I might not I agree with all your posts, they tend to have a valid point and stimulate discussion - and they are usually presented with good humour and the old fashioned cynicism which typifies the older and often long suffering supporter. As for the question of whether the site should be used to promote commercial ventures such as the Geoff Lee books - well I guess everybody will have a valid opinion. I haven't read his books, and aren't likely to, but then again I haven't read "this sporting life" either, and hey, what would I know, I didn't think shakespear's plays were as good as his films. It's a subject everybody will agree to disagree on, but i'd be disappointed if you gave this forum the heave ho as a result of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users