League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

and the opening ' band' at the new Leeds Arena is..

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

JLS.............ffs
Posted Image

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Thats the first band announced to play there (next December), not the first band that will actually play there (next September)...
Posted Image

#3 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

Ok gav , i,ll get me ac / dc t shirt back out, you never know...
Posted Image

#4 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:43 AM

JLS.............ffs

Don't they make sofa's Steve........

#5 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Ok gav , i,ll get me ac / dc t shirt back out, you never know...

My bet is it will be something equally as rubbish but Leeds-based, like the Kaiser Chiefs or something...
Posted Image

#6 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:17 PM

Id sooner go to The Brudenall tbh thats a proper music venue..
Posted Image

#7 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Id sooner go to The Brudenall tbh thats a proper music venue..

Should never got rid of the Queens Hall,saw ac/dc in 82 and YnT supporting,plus loads other big bands............

#8 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:39 PM

Wheres Hawkwindbag on this thread...
Posted Image

#9 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

get Andy Acko,s opinion from the York forum hes really up on all the bands Steve :) :)
chappy

#10 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

I've actually only seen Hawkwind live once ... and that was in the somewhat surreal and salubrious setting of the Buxton Opera House a few years ago.

It's been many years since I went to see live gigs in Leeds - most of them seemed to be at the University from what I can recall.

I won't be breaking that run by going to see JLS, or FFS or whatever they're called ...

#11 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

The Leeds Uni used to have a cap of about 2,000 people,and the Queens Hall about 12,000,i saw Whitesnake smash the record in 83 with 11,000 (saints and sinner tour),i just don't think the rock bands are around today like they were in the 80's,90's,.......they built a new stadium for x factor bands to play in, Leeds council we salute you.......

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,305 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

The Leeds Uni used to have a cap of about 2,000 people,and the Queens Hall about 12,000,i saw Whitesnake smash the record in 83 with 11,000 (saints and sinner tour),i just don't think the rock bands are around today like they were in the 80's,90's,.......they built a new stadium for x factor bands to play in, Leeds council we salute you.......

Its health & safety gone mad I tell thee...
Posted Image

#13 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Hey Hawkwindbag check out the Ford C Max ad on sky sports , the one where the guy dives off the diving board. Its Masters Of The Universe off the In Search Of Space album. Top tune...
Posted Image

#14 hunslets iggy pop

hunslets iggy pop
  • Coach
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:34 PM

Over the years, I sent a few letters to the Evening Post saying as to why Leeds will always lag behind Manchester in the music stakes as we don't have a decent Music Arena like they have in The fantastic venue The Apollo, and now they also have The Manchester Evening News Arena.

The trouble is now with the bands I like only Rammstein, Depeche Mode , Iron Maidon , could fill this venue along with ACDC.
Sadly can see the venue being a waste of time now as it will be used for silly boy bands and X factor ###### acts.

Since I penned those letters a few years ago, we now have the Cockpit, O2 and the excellent Brudenall, ( as KOL said in an earlier post ). Most of the Punk bands I like play at the Brudenall anyway. Also the beers very cheap too and, you don't get ripped off with expensive beer prices , which you will at this new arena , that's if they manage to get someone decent on.

#15 number9

number9
  • Coach
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

Over the years, I sent a few letters to the Evening Post saying as to why Leeds will always lag behind Manchester in the music stakes as we don't have a decent Music Arena like they have in The fantastic venue The Apollo, and now they also have The Manchester Evening News Arena.

The trouble is now with the bands I like only Rammstein, Depeche Mode , Iron Maidon , could fill this venue along with ACDC.
Sadly can see the venue being a waste of time now as it will be used for silly boy bands and X factor ###### acts.

Since I penned those letters a few years ago, we now have the Cockpit, O2 and the excellent Brudenall, ( as KOL said in an earlier post ). Most of the Punk bands I like play at the Brudenall anyway. Also the beers very cheap too and, you don't get ripped off with expensive beer prices , which you will at this new arena , that's if they manage to get someone decent on.

I was hoping Depeche Mode would play at the arena on the tour next year but only doing 2 UK dates at the O2 in London. Can't see many decent bands playing there to be honest.

#16 SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS
  • Coach
  • 925 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:27 PM

What about "The Platters."
May the FORCE be with you.
Top Bombing - Ave it son.
ITS SPITTIN !!
Its not bloody TIDDLEYWINKS ya know !!

#17 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 904 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hey Hawkwindbag check out the Ford C Max ad on sky sports , the one where the guy dives off the diving board. Its Masters Of The Universe off the In Search Of Space album. Top tune...

It certainly is KOL ... but goes against the long-standing principles of the band for many years that their music wouldn't be used for "commercial gain" ... once again proving the old adage that everyone and everything has its price. :huh:

I never saw a gig at Queen's Hall, but IIRC it tended to be used for bigger, established (often rock) bands, whereas the University attracted more fringe, breaking - well er, "studenty" bands. Some of the acts I can remember seeing there were The Buzzcocks, The Human League (original lineup), The Teardrop Explodes.

It can't have always been that way though - wasn't the legendary Who album "Live at Leeds" recorded at the University? That would have been late 60s/early 70s when they would have been amongst the biggest draws on the planet.

#18 number9

number9
  • Coach
  • 1,797 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:07 AM

It certainly is KOL ... but goes against the long-standing principles of the band for many years that their music wouldn't be used for "commercial gain" ... once again proving the old adage that everyone and everything has its price. :huh:

I never saw a gig at Queen's Hall, but IIRC it tended to be used for bigger, established (often rock) bands, whereas the University attracted more fringe, breaking - well er, "studenty" bands. Some of the acts I can remember seeing there were The Buzzcocks, The Human League (original lineup), The Teardrop Explodes.

It can't have always been that way though - wasn't the legendary Who album "Live at Leeds" recorded at the University? That would have been late 60s/early 70s when they would have been amongst the biggest draws on the planet.

1970 The Who recorded their first live album at Leeds University. Recorded on the 14th Febuary released on the 16th May.

#19 Blackbeard

Blackbeard
  • Coach
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:04 AM

What about "The Platters."

Now where talking Al........M&S do a lovely Shellfish platter :)

#20 pooliehawk

pooliehawk
  • Coach
  • 636 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:12 PM

I believe it is Bon jovi that will be thirst band to play there

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users