TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

A Short History of Rugby League in Australia (the book)

Wheres Ellery?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:06 PM

I recently had a glance at the book which shares a title with the heading of this thread and felt compelled to comment about Ellery Hanley's exclusion from the book. One chapter, in the book, notes 'the 50 greatest players of all time' (or a similar wording). Glenn Lazarus is the final (50th) player on the list but, as stated, Ellery misses out. Hanley isn't listed in the index so (presumably) he is not mentioned anywhere in the book.

Thoughts...

Edited by faz'_nose, 15 November 2012 - 11:14 PM.

#2 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:11 AM

The title is Rugby League in Australia, maybe Hanley did not play enough games in Australia in his prime to make the top 50?
He only played 20 odd games at his best, his second stint he was a shadow of what he was.

One reviewer wrote this..
The major diversion from similar lists that have been compiled in the past is the exclusion of Team of the Century winger Brian Bevan—this is on account of him having spent virtually his entire career in England.

If it was a British based book would Brett Kenny or Wally Lewis make the top 50 of all time? probably not

To be in the top 50 I think you would have to have more than two shortened seasons at your best form to make the cut.

IMO

Edited by AndyCapp, 16 November 2012 - 01:16 AM.

#3 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

The title is Rugby League in Australia, maybe Hanley did not play enough games in Australia in his prime to make the top 50?
He only played 20 odd games at his best, his second stint he was a shadow of what he was.

One reviewer wrote this..
The major diversion from similar lists that have been compiled in the past is the exclusion of Team of the Century winger Brian Bevan—this is on account of him having spent virtually his entire career in England.

If it was a British based book would Brett Kenny or Wally Lewis make the top 50 of all time? probably not

To be in the top 50 I think you would have to have more than two shortened seasons at your best form to make the cut.

IMO

I think that your arguments are valid - to a large extent. I just thought that the wording of the 'top 50' chapter had the potential to include British players but, as you stated, (British-based, Australian) Brian Bevan didn't make the list either.

Edited by faz'_nose, 16 November 2012 - 03:58 AM.

#4 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

Is Malcolm Reilly, mentioned - played well at Manly and coached Newcastle ?
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#5 faz'_nose

faz'_nose
  • Coach
  • 329 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

Is Malcolm Reilly, mentioned - played well at Manly and coached Newcastle ?

I don't think so (but don't quote me on that)!