RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Daniel Anderson,new referees top man

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:12 PM

Has just been appointed and will have Tony Archer and Russell Smith as his right hand men. Anderson says he wants to change a few things to the NRL rule book,particularly the "benefit of the doubt" try,which to me is a good thing,but what about other things? Does he just go ahead and change things at will,do the GBRFL,NZRFL,FRFL have a say,or do they just let the Aussies do whatever they think is right as they appear to have done over the years? Mmmm,food for thought.

#2 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:47 AM

Firstly changing rules in the NRL comp means nothing to international or rep games,so no drama there.
Anderson,Archer,Smith ? Wasn't a fan of Anderson as a coach - Always thought Archer a fair & resonable official.
Russell Smith :wacko: When he came over from the SLE I told people we would be great for the NRL - He wasn't !!
So they stuck him in the video box - Erm ? Wasn't he one of the Video refs making those terrible BOTD blunders ?

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#3 G Las D

G Las D
  • 13,939 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

Up until last season I thought the refs in NRL, despite the occasional blunder, got a good press and came over as a professional bunch. This last season seemed to see the NRL's top refs slip with not only a series of controversies and blunders on the pitch but also in in the vid ref's booth. Initiatives such as the two refs on the field and strict guidance had appeared initially to be raising standards. The blunders of 2012 and the fall out from it with the ref's bosses being given the red card shows that not only had standards dropped but confidence in the people who were supposed to have a vision was lost. Whether the new ref's bosses are the right people time will tell. I'm not sure they will prove to be better, but surely they can't be worse ... can they? I reckon changes were needed to get officials back on the rails. Are these the men to do it though?

Edited by G Las D, 16 November 2012 - 09:36 AM.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users