• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#41 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:11 AM

neutral refs. thats it
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#42 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 711 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:28 PM

1 Good attendances and atmospheres
2 A good number of close competitive games
3 Raised profile of the game to sports fans generally and to the media
4 New fans and players attracted to the game
5 All games to be covered by a free to air broadcaster, not necessarily all on the BBC: as Channel 4 got a lot of plaundits for its Paralympics coverage and might be interested in another high impact sport similar to wheelchair rugby
6 On the field success for nations with large populations, that love sport and have many media outlets, realistically that means England, France, USA and Italy
7 The matches being broadcast to non- playing nations or nations where development has recently started
8 The international game in general and the World Cup in particular to be seen as the pinnacle of the game. For me personally I cannot get excited about two East coast states playing a series amongst themselves
9 That names such as Tomkins, Slater, Marshall start being talked about in the way say that we discussed Laura Trott and David Weir this summer
10 The engraver starting to write ENG on the trophy
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#43 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

I still think top priority should be getting Rugby League season ticket holders into matches.

I don't think that is a priority at all. RLWC 2013 should be about attracting a new audience to watch international rugby league. We can't build international league up to a good level on the back of existing season ticket holders. We need to expand the audience, not keep going to the same people more often. One of the things Richard Lewis identified early on was the huge potential to grow the international game - think how many people go and watch an international union match, but have never been to a club game, or those who went to the Olympics to watch a sport they had never seen live before and are unlikely to ever see again.

Once we turn the international game into an event, then existing rugby league fans (who already enjoy the game) will jump on the bandwagon and make it even bigger. We need to be able to get to the situation where we know we can half-fill big stadia for our big events with people who want to watch big league "events", the other half we can sell to existing league fans, not only selling out the stadia, but also creating a demand for the tickets, so we get sell-outs for our big events some time before the day of the match.

#44 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:25 AM

Whats your point? If England fail to get there we will have the same challenges.
The post also said that was lower estimates.

They already announced there was a big demand for the final. I think the present approach is spot on. Sell out the final before the finalists are even known. If we got 45,000 in 2000 for an Aus v NZ final, then, given the more professional approach this time around, we should at least get 60,000 in advance, and then, if England do manage to make it, a sell out should be assured.

. England should get to the semis for certain so that should produce a big crowd for a double header involving England, Aus, NZ and a mystery guest.

The opening ceremony, plus Eng v Aus, plus Wales at home at the popular millenium venue should also draw a decent crowd.

I think the home games for France will sell out. They did very well in the 2000 WC for attendances and recent home games in their heartlands against Wales last year, I think, attracted good crowds.

The two games in Cumberland might not do too well although the fans up there get starved of representative games so myou never know, especially if Town are going well.

Overall, I am quite optomistic that this tournament could be a great success. I hope so because it could have a huge impact on TV contracts and growth of the game nationwide in the immediate future following the competition.

I think the Rochdale game will draw well.

The recent attendance for the England game in Hull bodes well for those fixtures.

The games in the heartlands involving England, NZ, Aus and the Pacific Island nations should get good attendances. The islanders are popular attractions.

The game in Ireland is iffy. I think if we get 10,000 that will be excellent but maybe not. The actual game will also be a slaughter for the home team which will not help RL in Ireland going forward.

#45 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 591 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

TV for the 2013 RLWC is being done by IMG, the same group who help on-sell the 08 tournament, and also sell the RUWC, Cricket World Cup and so on, so the tournament should get some decent exposure and some decent revenue from this, particularly from markets like Australia and New Zealand.

The one really encouraging thing about how the RFL & RLIF have approached this World Cup is they haven't decided to take on all the marketing themselves. As mentioned before Capital Consulting is looking after the Wembley double header, and McCann Manchester to assist with the rest of the tournament.

There also seems to be greater co-operation between the leagues. The ARLC already paid and sent for Lockyer and some other staff to help do some publicity work for the tournament, and there is more planned. I hear the NZRL are keen to do some publicity events as well. This type of co-operation is unheard of for previous RLWC's.
Posted Image

#46 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

TV for the 2013 RLWC is being done by IMG, the same group who help on-sell the 08 tournament, and also sell the RUWC, Cricket World Cup and so on, so the tournament should get some decent exposure and some decent revenue from this, particularly from markets like Australia and New Zealand.

The one really encouraging thing about how the RFL & RLIF have approached this World Cup is they haven't decided to take on all the marketing themselves. As mentioned before Capital Consulting is looking after the Wembley double header, and McCann Manchester to assist with the rest of the tournament.

There also seems to be greater co-operation between the leagues. The ARLC already paid and sent for Lockyer and some other staff to help do some publicity work for the tournament, and there is more planned. I hear the NZRL are keen to do some publicity events as well. This type of co-operation is unheard of for previous RLWC's.

The TV deal in Australia will be relatively small.
The time zones will kill any interest and the games will likely be played on delay at 10:30pm / 11:30pm after prime time shows.

#47 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:21 AM

I got an email from a friend in Bristol last week where he was letting me know he'd just an email from a local community sports thing which was letting him know about the WC next year, in it was an offer for final tickets for £20 so he bought two. It will be the first game of league he has ever attended but said how it seemed a good deal for such a big event and was just letting me know as he knew I liked rugby and so may be interested!

That in itself is a great example of the great work being done. I think the WC so far has been a massive success. I spoke to someone at RFL who said they expected WC Final to be half sold out by Xmas!

My hopes are:
- Eng win and France and Wales to be competitive.
- as many sell-outs as possible, especially the opener, if we can sell that out then I think the rest of the tournament will be fine.
- neutral refs for all games, with clarity on rules before tournament.
- Aus not to make the final!
- free to air coverage
- a big profit to be made that is put back into International RL, including getting the WC lesser teams to have more games, i.e help fund tours for Pac Nations
- hosts of next tournament to be announced before 2013 one starts
- eligibility rules tightened post WC
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#48 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:45 AM

I got an email from a friend in Bristol last week where he was letting me know he'd just an email from a local community sports thing which was letting him know about the WC next year, in it was an offer for final tickets for £20 so he bought two. It will be the first game of league he has ever attended but said how it seemed a good deal for such a big event and was just letting me know as he knew I liked rugby and so may be interested!

That in itself is a great example of the great work being done. I think the WC so far has been a massive success. I spoke to someone at RFL who said they expected WC Final to be half sold out by Xmas!

My hopes are:
- Eng win and France and Wales to be competitive.
- as many sell-outs as possible, especially the opener, if we can sell that out then I think the rest of the tournament will be fine.
- neutral refs for all games, with clarity on rules before tournament.
- Aus not to make the final!
- free to air coverage
- a big profit to be made that is put back into International RL, including getting the WC lesser teams to have more games, i.e help fund tours for Pac Nations
- hosts of next tournament to be announced before 2013 one starts
- eligibility rules tightened post WC

You don't want much then!! :D

#49 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,442 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

They already announced there was a big demand for the final. I think the present approach is spot on. Sell out the final before the finalists are even known. If we got 45,000 in 2000 for an Aus v NZ final, then, given the more professional approach this time around, we should at least get 60,000 in advance, and then, if England do manage to make it, a sell out should be assured.

My point to EH is that just because last time we got 45k doesnt mean we will suddenly get more this time. We got 66k the time before and 73k before that so his point was flawed.

My prediction was that 45k should be easily achievable as a base figure and then additional factors like england playing well, effective marketing and interest from new and lapsed fans should help this game achieve 60k plus.

One thing we shouldnt underestimate is the lazy and negative attitude towards international RL from rl fans. No crowd should be taken for granted, and i genuinely believe that every number will need to be worked for.

I am very optimistic and have bought some tickets, but this weekend I am in Warrington visiting family, and despite many of them being season ticket holders most of them are 'meh' about the WC and will just decide at the time. I was hoping to buy them tickets for Christmas!

We have had a great start, but the reality is that the 50k tickets sold so far could easily have gone to the staunch international rl fans - and we know that there arent enough of us around to fill every ground.

#50 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Neutral refs is a big issue. Ideal world great, but there aren't enough high quality non-English or Aussie refs. Our coaches and press tend to just get on with it, but the Aussies constantly go on about refs, so it's always an issue, until they get the ref they want.

Although as it takes two Aussies to ref a match, when it only takes one Englishman, I'm not quite sure where they're coming from. :rolleyes:

#51 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

My point to EH is that just because last time we got 45k doesnt mean we will suddenly get more this time. We got 66k the time before and 73k before that so his point was flawed.

My prediction was that 45k should be easily achievable as a base figure and then additional factors like england playing well, effective marketing and interest from new and lapsed fans should help this game achieve 60k plus.

One thing we shouldnt underestimate is the lazy and negative attitude towards international RL from rl fans. No crowd should be taken for granted, and i genuinely believe that every number will need to be worked for.

I am very optimistic and have bought some tickets, but this weekend I am in Warrington visiting family, and despite many of them being season ticket holders most of them are 'meh' about the WC and will just decide at the time. I was hoping to buy them tickets for Christmas!

We have had a great start, but the reality is that the 50k tickets sold so far could easily have gone to the staunch international rl fans - and we know that there arent enough of us around to fill every ground.

Spot on. The easy sales have been got by now. The task over the next few months is to sell tickets to non-rugby league fans, build momentum and profile, and then hope that season ticket holders want to jump on the bandwagon late next year for the remaining tickets. The way they are selling tickets is good too, by not putting certain blocks, or stands on sale, to ensure that people are together to create a good atmosphere.

The organisers seem to realise this. The Trophy Tour is an excellent idea and provides an opportunity for a focus in a different place every few days as momentum builds. RLWC2013 aren't banking on normal club rugby league fans to be the bedrock of a successful tournament, which is good, because at the moment not enough of them support the international game.

#52 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 804 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

So do we have ANY updates anywhere on total ticket sales so far, beyond the 50,000 supposedly sold on Day 1 ?

#53 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

You don't want much then!! :D

I think Australia and New Zealand are joint hosting the 2017 RLWC. I am sure i read that somewhere.

#54 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

Yes very good points. Just to point out though that the two higher attendances for the previous World Cup finals were both for games where England were one of the finalists against Australia, traditionally the biggest international draw whereas the 45000 was for an Aus v NZ final in this country which was pretty good considering. The Aus V NZ semi final at Huddersfield in the 1995 tournamant for instance only got a 20,000 attendance.

Obviously I don't know your family but if I bought mine tickets, which would mean they went for free, I just know they would find religion.

Some of the minor fixtures are very intriguing. The USA v Cook Islands for example. This is in Bristol, an area just starting to buzz with promise for RL. The people love Rugby usually of the RU variety but by the time of the WL, Gloucester old golds will have just concluded their inaugral season which might pique interest. Then there is Bristol Sonics and the Somerset/Devon/Cornwall clubs who might take a look. I was watching video of the USARL grand final recently and they filled, albeit a very small, stadium to capacity in Boston and quite a few Americans might fancy a trip especially as the airfares are lower in November. The Cook Islands are from a remote, exotic country and like all pacific islanders like to play attractive rugby, so that also could be marketed locally by the host city as an attraction. All in all I could see an attendance of over 5,000 for this which would be great.

Another fascinating game is the Fiji game at Rochdale. Who knew there was a decent sized Fijian disapora in Rochdale dating back to the Joe Levula era of Fijian players at the Hornets. Not me certainly but that is an opportunity to market the heck out of that fixture in and around Rochdale and the fact that Fiji were semi finalists in 2008 is another crowd puller. I think that game could sell out.

I think the host city franchising idea was a stroke of genius by the RFL whereby the chosen cities were really committed to the idea of a RLWC game and will market the heck out of it locally leaving National marketing to the RLWC organisation.

I may be a cock eyed optomist but I think this tournament has the makings of a resounding success for out game and I refsue to be negative about it.

#55 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 425 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

I may be a cock eyed optomist but I think this tournament has the makings of a resounding success for out game and I refsue to be negative about it.

This. If we only get 45k for the World Cup final then I'll probably give up on the sport.

#56 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

This. If we only get 45k for the World Cup final then I'll probably give up on the sport.

Well I,e got my two so that's only 44,998 to beat that target.

#57 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 498 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:32 PM

In terms of attendances I would say anything over 90% of capacity for the whole tournament would be a success. Sell outs for the semis and final should be a given along with the England games.

Other than that I would like to see:

- All matches available on terrestrial TV.
- Good coverage in the media - to be continued after the tournament.
- Any profits be used wisely by the RLIF to increase international rugby leagues profile along with the number of international fixtures.

Out of interest, has the Beeb got the broadcasting rights for next years Rugby Union Autumn internationals which will clash with our World Cup? If so, would they give us top billing?

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#58 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:14 PM

We also need to ensure scumbags like Martyn Samuel have nothing to do with writing about it too. The fat f***

Like him or not (and I happen to be a big fan of his writing) he's exactly the sort of person we want to have writing about the event. One of the most widely read (and most wide) journalists out there - if he writes some positive stuff about RLWC 2013 it can only help.

#59 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 7,997 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:17 PM

In terms of attendances I would say anything over 90% of capacity for the whole tournament would be a success. Sell outs for the semis and final should be a given along with the England games.

Other than that I would like to see:

- All matches available on terrestrial TV.
- Good coverage in the media - to be continued after the tournament.
- Any profits be used wisely by the RLIF to increase international rugby leagues profile along with the number of international fixtures.

Out of interest, has the Beeb got the broadcasting rights for next years Rugby Union Autumn internationals which will clash with our World Cup? If so, would they give us top billing?

Autumn Internationals are on SKY until at least 2013
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#60 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

Autumn Internationals are on SKY until at least 2013

England's ones. BBC show Scotland, Ireland and Wales.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users